• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I'm not going to make a scene and call this out publicly, just FYI. But I do want to take some sort of action. How do I best handle this privately? Address the player? Or address with the pro? We're playing in the cabin fever together again in a few weeks and I don't want my reputation tarnished by a team mate posting fake scores in the lead up to the tournament.

atimetokill-samuelljackson.gif

I often have a problem with deciding whether or not to post my drunk scores.

I often have a problem with deciding whether or not to post my drunk scores.

Yeah, different argument for a different day though. That's a lot different than just making up a number and posting it. This is the equilivant of going to play putt putt and posting an 82 because you felt like it.

If he's your best friend you call him out on it privately

Tell him privately to quit being an asshole and leave it at that

you just gotta talk to him privately and tell him to knock it off

How would y'all handle this situation? Probably a long post incoming

Me: 2.6 hdcp
Brother: 8.2 hdcp
TJ: +1.0 hdcp (club champion)

The three of us are best friends and have been playing sports together our whole lives. We all joined the club we grew up on last year and pretty much swept the board in tournaments.

2021 tournaments

Won cabin fever
Won labor day invitational
Won July 4th shootout
Won our flight in member guest (me and brother, tj and dad finished 2nd in our flight)
TJ won club championship
TJ and another +hdcp at the club won member/member (my brother and partner won net)

All of that to say, we play in every team tournament together, and pretty much swept the board in gross or net last year. Folks have called my bothers hdcp into question as he careered in the MM where he won net, but his scores are truthful and solid. He posts all of his rounds. I go in behind us and make sure all of our rounds are posted, since we play 95% of our rounds together.

This morning, I noticed TJ, club champion, +1hdcp, on the tournament committee, has posted 3 fake scores in 2022. Again, we play all of our rounds together, I was with him for all of these rounds. It not like he went out and played without us, all of these rounds I was a part of.

12/31 - We played 18 holes of 2v2 captains choice while getting drunk. Not a postable score. He entered in an 78. My brother and I didnt post since it was captains choice format.
2/13 - First round of the year. My brother had to work and we knew we could only play 13-15 holes. So again, we played 2 v 2 captains choice. We quit after hole 15. He posted an 81. My brother and I didnt post since it was captains choice format.
2/20 - We played in the gangsome, so the clubhouse posts our scores. The clubhouse posted his score the next day, but he also posted a score for that round, which was one stroke above what the clubhouse posted. So now theres an 80 and 81 in there for the same day. We only played 18 holes.

So how would you handle this, with the facts presented above? Again, none of these were an accident, and I was there for each of them. It's 3 blatant false scores, no mistakes were made.

This always annoys me. Players in the 7-12 range obviously have some ability. In a tournament or competitive setting, it is super realistic for them to step it up a level. Take a little more time reading putts, more focus, back off the ball at set up if it doesn't feel right, not taking high risk - low reward shots. All those things happen and they shave 5 strokes, then people start barking about the handicap.

clearly this guy cares about being club champ. We should at least consider some minor extortion here, right? 3 months of greens fees sounds about right.

This always annoys me. Players in the 7-12 range obviously have some ability. In a tournament or competitive setting, it is super realistic for them to step it up a level. Take a little more time reading putts, more focus, back off the ball at set up if it doesn't feel right, not taking high risk - low reward shots. All those things happen and they shave 5 strokes, then people start barking about the handicap.

Can confirm.
Played for many years in the Maple Chase MG with Karma. Got hot one year and was even through 7 (on the front nine - easier by far than the back) One member, well-known Forsyth am golfer, and himself a sandbagger called me out as a bullshit 6 handicap. Took great pleasure as we boat raced them. I'm a doctor with young kids who at the time played about 10-15 times a year. But I occasionally can still golf my ball.

How would y'all handle this situation? Probably a long post incoming

Me: 2.6 hdcp
Brother: 8.2 hdcp
TJ: +1.0 hdcp (club champion)

The three of us are best friends and have been playing sports together our whole lives. We all joined the club we grew up on last year and pretty much swept the board in tournaments.

2021 tournaments

Won cabin fever
Won labor day invitational
Won July 4th shootout
Won our flight in member guest (me and brother, tj and dad finished 2nd in our flight)
TJ won club championship
TJ and another +hdcp at the club won member/member (my brother and partner won net)

All of that to say, we play in every team tournament together, and pretty much swept the board in gross or net last year. Folks have called my bothers hdcp into question as he careered in the MM where he won net, but his scores are truthful and solid. He posts all of his rounds. I go in behind us and make sure all of our rounds are posted, since we play 95% of our rounds together.

This morning, I noticed TJ, club champion, +1hdcp, on the tournament committee, has posted 3 fake scores in 2022. Again, we play all of our rounds together, I was with him for all of these rounds. It not like he went out and played without us, all of these rounds I was a part of.

12/31 - We played 18 holes of 2v2 captains choice while getting drunk. Not a postable score. He entered in an 78. My brother and I didnt post since it was captains choice format.
2/13 - First round of the year. My brother had to work and we knew we could only play 13-15 holes. So again, we played 2 v 2 captains choice. We quit after hole 15. He posted an 81. My brother and I didnt post since it was captains choice format.
2/20 - We played in the gangsome, so the clubhouse posts our scores. The clubhouse posted his score the next day, but he also posted a score for that round, which was one stroke above what the clubhouse posted. So now theres an 80 and 81 in there for the same day. We only played 18 holes.

So how would you handle this, with the facts presented above? Again, none of these were an accident, and I was there for each of them. It's 3 blatant false scores, no mistakes were made.

Your friend is in deep shit. If it was me, I would address it with him personally. If you noticed it, I am certain others are your club are watching this dude like a hawk. They are already pissed that you all ran the table this season.

If he doesn't own up to it, I would not play any events with him this season or at the very least, mix up your groups for the big ones. Winning everything is already going to make people salty AF and think you are sandbaggers. If I am new at a club and I like the membership, I ain't doing that again this season, even if you did nothing wrong.

Just by 2 cents, it depends on the culture of the club, the average quality of the player, etc. But you are on a path to a bad time.

I'm not much of a golfer, though I've played in a handful of tournaments over the years and regularly volunteer on a couple of fundraiser tournaments. And it may just be the level of tournaments and/or prestige of the clubs I've dealt with, but the whole sandbag thing has always puzzled me, b/c the "payoff" is usually an extra $100 tops gift card in the pro shop, or a cheesy trophy and your name on a plaque in the club bar. Am I missing something, or are there other benefits from sandbagging your way to a championship or higher finish? I've never done the pre-tournament Calcutta bets, so maybe that's where the payoff is?

Have 25 year old big berthas that are in need of an upgrade. Especially since I’ve now lost like 3 of the clubs.

Looking at the Apex dcb’s as they have a similar look, what’s the consensus on them as irons ? Anything else out there on the market that’s appreciably better?

And how important is it to get them fitted vs just buying online and saving a little money if I’m an average sized guy?

100% get them fitted. I cannot recommend this enough. The price you pay (assuming you go to a non-big box shop) will be well worth it.

I also can't really say anything about that set of Apex Irons. I will editorially say it'll be a while before I head back to Callaway irons. I played the Apex Pros for a while and they didn't last a season in the bag. Talked to multiple reps about it and it came down to a hyper hot face that had a tendency to launch balls deep left, and they made a limited release without the hot face, but there were only 2k of those sold. ANYWAYS, I'm not a big Callaway guy for their irons since that experience and hitting the latest stuff, but it all comes down to what works best for you.

I'll also toss out there I'd highly recommend looking at Srixon. Their irons have been some of my favorite of anything I've touched the last few years.

Your friend is in deep shit. If it was me, I would address it with him personally. If you noticed it, I am certain others are your club are watching this dude like a hawk. They are already pissed that you all ran the table this season.

If he doesn't own up to it, I would not play any events with him this season or at the very least, mix up your groups for the big ones. Winning everything is already going to make people salty AF and think you are sandbaggers. If I am new at a club and I like the membership, I ain't doing that again this season, even if you did nothing wrong.

Just by 2 cents, it depends on the culture of the club, the average quality of the player, etc. But you are on a path to a bad time.

Yeah, I think this is a solid take. I doubt that you're the only person to notice it, and this could quickly spill over onto you if you're not careful.

That line is also worth noting. Getting on that many shitlists this early might make the future less fun at the place. I'd keep the brother for whatever tournaments it's allowed if you wanted because people should be way more understanding of that, but I'd put a bit of space in the tournaments between you and TJ.

I'm not much of a golfer, though I've played in a handful of tournaments over the years and regularly volunteer on a couple of fundraiser tournaments. And it may just be the level of tournaments and/or prestige of the clubs I've dealt with, but the whole sandbag thing has always puzzled me, b/c the "payoff" is usually an extra $100 tops gift card in the pro shop, or a cheesy trophy and your name on a plaque in the club bar. Am I missing something, or are there other benefits from sandbagging your way to a championship or higher finish? I've never done the pre-tournament Calcutta bets, so maybe that's where the payoff is?

Means more to most golfers than you'd think.

Good feedback here, thanks for the suggestions. I spoke with my brother last night and we noticed another false score had been posted yesterday evening, after my post on here. This time is was an 80 fucking 3. I decided to go head and speak with the course pro this morning and clear our names from it. Again, my brothers HC is the only one thats ever been questioned, so I do know folks watch his scores. Everyone knows the 3 of us always play together too, so the question of "why is one of you posting scores and the other two are not" was coming. I want no part of it. We live in a small town and my brother is a real estate agent that lives on the course, not risking the tarnished reputation that comes with cheating. We'll see how this plays out, but you can't have someone on the tournament committee thats blatantly cheating, not to mention the club champion.

IHFIO3n.png

At my club, this is the correct answer. I've only done one member-guest ever. I am a high handicapper and I brought in one of my best friends from out of town that is like a three or four who plays in those things all the time. Our deal was that I would cover the cost to enter the event and he would handle the Calcutta. We ended up finishing second in our flight and when I opened the envelope of cash they handed me I couldn't believe it. If I had had any idea of how much money was on the line while we were on the course I'm not sure I would have been able to get off the tee!

Back