• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Most (they've released so many it's hard to keep track) HZRDUS shafts don't follow the R/S/X stiffness setup, and generally their claim to fame is mixing different flexes in the butt/mid/tip sections so that aggressive swings still retain some feel.

Most of the setups that are popular have a less stiff butt section, a very stiff mid section, then the tip stiffness and torque changes based on the flex - and they go S/X/TX. Because of all that, what you're describing is very common - great fit to your normal swing (and looks really great on launch monitors when folks are testing them) but a lot of players need to move up a flex if they find themselves overpowering the shaft too often.

Of course, if you're not money-constrained, the Ventus (blue or black, depending on your feel preference) pretty much took these ideas, arguably perfected them, and are simply phenomenal for the mid to fast swing speeds. There's a reason the tour has absolutely flocked to them.

Huh, thanks for breaking that down. When I was reading up on the shaft it was describing this but in a much more complex way. I'll look into a Ventus down the line once I spend all of my savings on a house.

For the better golfers on here, have any of you successfully implemented major swing changes/overhauls? If so how long did it take and what would you say are the key things to focus on?

I implemented major swing changes because my consistency sucked shit. I'd shoot 81 on one weekend and 95 the next, almost all of the inconsistency in (1) irons 4-6, and (2) short game.

My changes were simple because again, I'm not as good as most on this thread. It really broke down to 2 things. With my irons, I always struggled to stay low through the ball, often finding myself straightening and "humping" forward, both of which require you to compensate by speeding up your arms and coming over the top. With shorter irons you can keep it inside more consistently but absolutely say goodbye with the longer ones. In fact you're as likely to shank as you are to hit a decent shot. I've really focused on (1) dropping my hands first on the downswing, which keeps my hands back and brings them into the slot, resulting in a more inside-out swing, and (2) focusing on keeping my weight forward because learning that move will make you want to lean back a bit as you twist.

If you can handle how painfully boring he is, this Denny Lucas wall drill is a great way to practice the move. This change has improved my consistency...consistently over the course of 3-4 months.

On short game, it's still a struggle but much more consistent, so I'd be curious what others have to say. You just lose so many damn strokes here if you don't improve. The focus has been A LOT of practice on keeping my backswing straight back, allowing the club face to open just a little bit (toe of wedge pointing straight up), and remembering to keep my hips moving. The hands drop with gravity more than actually bringing them through. I do a little Matthew Wolfe style hitch move before I address the ball to remind me to stay down and turn. Depending on the distance I'll also lift the club up towards the toe at address to help keep the backswing straight.

Short game has been a lifetime of struggle for me, and this has drastically improved it almost immediately. Still a long way to go to consider myself good, though.

For the better golfers on here, have any of you successfully implemented major swing changes/overhauls? If so how long did it take and what would you say are the key things to focus on?

So I'm relatively tall, long arms, have always had an over-the-top move and in generally my swing is pretty vertical. When I started playing competitive golf I ran into a handful of teaching pros that gave me unsolicited advice, usually at country clubs and usually just a 2 minute snap judgment. Most of them were some variation of "oh, you have to keep your feet planted on the ground, keep both legs bent don't straighten your left leg, swing around your body and lay it off more, rotate your hands more, etc." While I never really tried to make drastic changes, occasionally I'd video my swing trying some of those changes and always noted two things - first, it always felt insanely unnatural. Second, on video they were not nearly as drastic as they felt. So I kinda just accepted that my swing was garbage and at some point I'd have to do something drastic if I wanted to really improve.

Then I was at a fitting with a guy who's now running all the fittings at TPC Sawgrass, but at the time wasn't that big a deal. I mentioned that I knew my swing was trash and I had an over the top move, but that I just wanted to get fit into clubs that would help me score, and that I'd fix things later (ie., focus on the clubs and don't try to correct my swing during a fitting). He'd been working with some of the early folks focusing on biomechanics and the golf swing, and immediately rattled off 3 or 4 guys who had similar builds and similar tendencies on tour, 20 guys who got on their toes a bit (or a lot) during their swing, etc. Said he'd tweak some things but honestly wouldn't change my swing much at all based on the numbers. Around the same time a few pros, I remember Sergio was one, Stenson maybe, and a couple other lesser-known guys had just abandoned "fixing" their swings from being too vertical, too laid off, etc. mostly focusing on biomechanics.

I gave up on chasing a perfect swing, focused on consistency, the mental game, short game, quit changing clubs - went from maybe an 8 at the time and got it down to scratch. Not that I don't still tweak and work on correcting my bad tendencies, but I'm in my 40's and I'm not sure how realistic it even would be to retool my swing. I've seen plenty of buddies try it, and unless they have serious swing problems and have never broken 80, I've seen roughly a 0% positive outcome from them.

All that to say - I'd be extremely careful going with a "complete overhaul" approach to a golf swing if you're decent and have been playing for a long time. I'd also be extremely skeptical of teaching pros who recommend that approach - there's a lot of money to be made spending a couple years making a decent golfer awful then decent again.

So I'm relatively tall, long arms, have always had an over-the-top move and in generally my swing is pretty vertical. When I started playing competitive golf I ran into a handful of teaching pros that gave me unsolicited advice, usually at country clubs and usually just a 2 minute snap judgment. Most of them were some variation of "oh, you have to keep your feet planted on the ground, keep both legs bent don't straighten your left leg, swing around your body and lay it off more, rotate your hands more, etc." While I never really tried to make drastic changes, occasionally I'd video my swing trying some of those changes and always noted two things - first, it always felt insanely unnatural. Second, on video they were not nearly as drastic as they felt. So I kinda just accepted that my swing was garbage and at some point I'd have to do something drastic if I wanted to really improve.

Then I was at a fitting with a guy who's now running all the fittings at TPC Sawgrass, but at the time wasn't that big a deal. I mentioned that I knew my swing was trash and I had an over the top move, but that I just wanted to get fit into clubs that would help me score, and that I'd fix things later (ie., focus on the clubs and don't try to correct my swing during a fitting). He'd been working with some of the early folks focusing on biomechanics and the golf swing, and immediately rattled off 3 or 4 guys who had similar builds and similar tendencies on tour, 20 guys who got on their toes a bit (or a lot) during their swing, etc. Said he'd tweak some things but honestly wouldn't change my swing much at all based on the numbers. Around the same time a few pros, I remember Sergio was one, Stenson maybe, and a couple other lesser-known guys had just abandoned "fixing" their swings from being too vertical, too laid off, etc. mostly focusing on biomechanics.

I gave up on chasing a perfect swing, focused on consistency, the mental game, short game, quit changing clubs - went from maybe an 8 at the time and got it down to scratch. Not that I don't still tweak and work on correcting my bad tendencies, but I'm in my 40's and I'm not sure how realistic it even would be to retool my swing. I've seen plenty of buddies try it, and unless they have serious swing problems and have never broken 80, I've seen roughly a 0% positive outcome from them.

All that to say - I'd be extremely careful going with a "complete overhaul" approach to a golf swing if you're decent and have been playing for a long time. I'd also be extremely skeptical of teaching pros who recommend that approach - there's a lot of money to be made spending a couple years making a decent golfer awful then decent again.

What did you do to improve your mental game?

I saw the most simple putting tip on Instagram the other day, and used it very effectively last weekend (couldn't hit a tee shot, though). Can't find it to post, but it was basically: hold putter with your normal grip out in front of you parallel to the ground, make sure your elbow creases are pointing nearly straight up, bring elbows straight into ribs/gut, hinge from the waist over the ball, putt.

Felt very awkward at first, and I struggled a bit with speed control, but it was by far the best drill I've ever done to putt with less hands/wrists and keep the face square almost every putt. Sort of mimics what guys on tour are trying to do when you see them really tucking their elbows prior to a putt.

Short game and putting is all practice and feel. Practice that part of your game twice as much as your full swing and you will see your scores drop. I constantly play with guys younger than me who have better swings than I do, who hit it 50 yards past me off the tee and are hitting 7 iron when I am hitting a 5 - and their short games are not good. I usually end up beating them like a drum because my short game is (usually) very good.

What did you do to improve your mental game?

I've read a few books on the mental side of the game - my take away in general is that there are a lot of different mental aspects that get focused on, so while there are a lot of great books out there not all of them resonate with everyone. For example, I really liked the book "Simplicity" which has zero swing mechanic focus but just has techniques to put you in a better headspace to perform under pressure. But for someone working on yips or course strategy or routine or swing thoughts - maybe not as useful. I've read stuff like Fearless Golf, the Rotella Not a Game of Perfect book, a few others - nothing clicked for me like Simplicity did but some of my buddies got nothing from it. But beyond just reading it's practicing mental tactics then playing tournaments or at least decent money competitive rounds as often as possible. I do my best to track outcomes, write down feedback after practice sessions and rounds, etc - kids are still young though so I'm not playing enough right now to really make it all click 100% - but I'm still playing as well as I ever have, even when I was playing constantly and had no responsibilities.

Played in a company sponsor tournament yesterday. We were rolling along pretty well until a log jam on our 9th or 10th hole. Went off the rails. Anyone else REALLY struggle when you have to wait or with people who play really slow. I turn into a 40 handicap and completely lose interest if I can't play with pace.

It definitely messes me up. It's a hard thing to get better at too. You really have to slow your own pace down a lot so you cut down on the waiting. Take an extra beat before teeing off, read putts extra. Just be slow.

But when you're used to playing in 3 hours, it's hard to do.

Played in a company sponsor tournament yesterday. We were rolling along pretty well until a log jam on our 9th or 10th hole. Went off the rails. Anyone else REALLY struggle when you have to wait or with people who play really slow. I turn into a 40 handicap and completely lose interest if I can't play with pace.

Definitely prefer to play faster. If you know its going to be a slow day out there, walking can really help if that is an option.

Had my first season long match last week. Walked off of 14 green down 3. I then proceeded to win the next 4 holes to win the match, including a birdie on 18 from 190 yds out. I was very happy with the comeback performance.

Well done.

Anyone have an easy drill for how to hit a fade? I thought I had it figured out on Friday (played 9), but yesterday, my attempted fades were almost all pull hooks. My swing has always been a bit shallow/flat, and I'm tired of the hard draw. Our greens are also typically fast/firm as hell, and a soft fade is much more preferable on approach shots. If you put a gun to my head right now and told me to fade a 7 iron, I think I'd be dead. But I could sling a 40 yard draw onto a green no problem.

Well done.

Anyone have an easy drill for how to hit a fade? I thought I had it figured out on Friday (played 9), but yesterday, my attempted fades were almost all pull hooks. My swing has always been a bit shallow/flat, and I'm tired of the hard draw. Our greens are also typically fast/firm as hell, and a soft fade is much more preferable on approach shots. If you put a gun to my head right now and told me to fade a 7 iron, I think I'd be dead. But I could sling a 40 yard draw onto a green no problem.

This sounds a lot like me. I have found it difficult to try to switch ball flights after doing it for years one way. My miss is a hook, and I have a tendency to whip my hands through and turn the toe over too much. It is not a path issue (confirmed my trackman) which I thought it might be.

The only way I have found to absolutely guarantee I will not hit it left it is to weaken my grip. My default grip is strong. I don't like playing that way, I hit poof balls. Once in awhile I will do it if left is just not an option on a hole. The other thing is getting my body (pressure shift left/hips) out in front of my arms more aggressively and sooner right as I enter transition. At times, I can hang back on my right side and that really forces that hand whip I described. This doesn't create a fade usually, but more of a lower, straight ball when I time it right.

Opening my stance does nothing. Having the club face open at address does nothing. Trying to swing out-to-in does nothing. At least in my practice time/experience, for me. For context - I move between 6-8 index, so not as good a player as many on this board.

This whole thing I find funny, cause I hear a lot of guys talk about how they find it difficult to hit a draw with modern equipment, and just default to a knuckle fade with driver. I don't know what that feels like :)

This is not what a pro would say (including the semi-pros on this board), but I also have a very strong grip and had the same problem for years until I gave in and just started swinging easier. I used to crush irons with a draw, which was great most of the time, but I'd have 1-2 (or more) round-killing hooks per 18. Since I bit the bullet and gave up 10 yards or so per club, I now hit them straight or with a slight fade and rarely hook anymore. With a driver, I swing even easier. I'm not the longest hitter anymore but who cares, I find it more fun to be in control and still have enough distance. If I need to hit a hook or draw, I just snap harder with my arms/wrists.

@tigerswood, I think I remember you have a bad back or something? Definitely harder to fade if you're not turning much.

Yeah, the bad low back definitely makes it harder to get the body through ahead of the hands. I have no problem with a big turn on the backswing (aided by a reverse pivot), but getting all the way through the ball is challenging at times. Swinging easier would help, I'm sure. Just got some spinal injections yesterday morning - haven't helped a ton in the past, but here's to hoping.

Had my first bogey free round today. I’ve had a bunch of rounds below par, but have never managed no bogeys until today. Perhaps not coincidentally, I switched to a claw grip recently. 3 round using it - distance control was an issue at first, but I’m getting it dialed in.

Off to Bandon Dunes 5/15 - 5/17 (Playing Pacific Dunes, Sheep Ranch, Bandon Dunes) with number one son who says it's his favorite golf destination anywhere he has played.
Nursing a bad back (spinal stenosis) and hoping that after my steroid injection yesterday, I'll be able to make the walks (3 rounds) successfully. Wish me luck.

Back