• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Yeah, I guess I discount the physical and especially mental output that a 4-day tournament requires.

It's crazy to me for any sport how precisely the athletes' routine is structured so that they are at absolute peak physical readiness and mental focus going into a competition. I could see how you spend that off week with family and in near meditation to ensure your mind is blank going into Thursday at the API.

See: Daniel Berger

Buddy just asked me up to play his Course at Forest Creek in April.
Haven't been to Pinehurst in years. Anybody know anything about the Courses?

Played North and South over the weekend for a short guy's trip. This place is crazy good. April would seem to be just about peak season, so y'all should have a great time.

good timing here - i broke 100 (for real - counting all penalties, no free mulligans, putting everything out) for the first time on Friday with a nice little 96

Played North and South over the weekend for a short guy's trip. This place is crazy good. April would seem to be just about peak season, so y'all should have a great time.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. So looking forward to it.
Planning on playing both the North and South.

good timing here - i broke 100 (for real - counting all penalties, no free mulligans, putting everything out) for the first time on Friday with a nice little 96

:thumbsup: Only 7 more to go for the next milestone!

Last edited:

Congrats!

Was just reading a Reddit thread last week on why courses should have an AED in the clubhouse and also at the turn (pending course design)

A local high school coach fell over dead our on #7 tee box this evening during a conference match. Hug your loved ones.

Was just reading a Reddit thread last week on why courses should have an AED in the clubhouse and also at the turn (pending course design)

A local high school coach fell over dead our on #7 tee box this evening during a conference match. Hug your loved ones.

There was a guy that died in the middle of the Forsyth CC Member Member a number of years ago. Definitely an eye opener.

To LK or other local golfers. How do these courses stack up in the greater Triad area? What is worth playing or skipping, if given the opportunity.

The Cardinal
Pennrose Park
Forest Oaks CC
Alamance CC
Starmount Forest CC
Asheboro Muni
High Point CC (Emerywood and Willow Creek)
Greensboro CC (Irving Park and Farm)
Iron Play CC and Gillespie CC (both Par-3s)

To LK or other local golfers. How do these courses stack up in the greater Triad area? What is worth playing or skipping, if given the opportunity.

The Cardinal
Pennrose Park
Forest Oaks CC
Alamance CC
Starmount Forest CC
Asheboro Muni

I grew up on Willow Creek and love the course. It was hard back in high school, but I haven't played there in 10 years or so. Emerywood is a pass, much better served as an event venue than a golf course.

The Cardinal
Pennrose Park
Forest Oaks CC
Alamance CC
Starmount Forest CC
Asheboro Muni

High Point CC is my club. Willow Creek is terrific course, at least when it's not under water from heavy rains. Emerywood is a nice little nine hole course in town, but not worth going out of your way to play IMO.

I grew up on Willow Creek and love the course. It was hard back in high school, but I haven't played there in 10 years or so. Emerywood is a pass, much better served as an event venue than a golf course.

If I don't actually know you IRL, I feel like we most certainly have mutual friends ...

The Cardinal
Pennrose Park
Forest Oaks CC
Alamance CC
Starmount Forest CC
Asheboro Muni

Not in the Triad, but I've played Starmount Forest CC and Greensboro CC-Farm course, and really liked both of them, I'd put them at the top of the list with High Point CC- Willow Creek just below (definitely has some drainage issues after a big rain). The Cardinal is a challenging, but fun course (always seems to kick my tail). Have heard good things about Alamance CC but haven't played it yet.

The Cardinal
Pennrose Park
Forest Oaks CC
Alamance CC
Starmount Forest CC
Asheboro Muni

Specifically out of that group you have tiers
Tier 1 - Farm Course/Starmount/Willow
Tier 2 - Cardinal / Forest Oaks / Alamance/Irving
Tier 3 - Asheboro Muni

Can't help with Iron/Gillespie/Pennrose/Emery but others on here appear to have a solid handle.

The Cardinal
Pennrose Park
Forest Oaks CC
Alamance CC
Starmount Forest CC
Asheboro Muni

If you're in the area you can't really beat $10 for as many holes as you can walk at Asheboro Muni.

Played yesterday with a guy my age who was a #1 player on a D1 golf team back in the day. I got off the tee really well but my chipping and putting was atrocious. Just a different game for those guys.

The Cardinal
Pennrose Park
Forest Oaks CC
Alamance CC
Starmount Forest CC
Asheboro Muni

i really like iron play as a cheap, nicely maintained par 3 course. not too interesting but has a couple of water holes.

gillespie kinda stinks, i don't think it's a par 3 though (at least it didn't used to be). not interesting fact: cameron bennerman's family owned the gillespie clubhouse grill.

the course you didn't list which i like is oak hollow.

caveat: i stink.

My dad sent me a very lightly used TaylorMade M3 driver head that he didn't really hit well. I installed it with a HZRDUS smoke yellow shaft (6.0 stiff / 60g) but haven't hit it yet. My other driver is a Bridgestone JGR Tour B that I got on a great deal and has been good for low spin, but doesn't carry as far as I'd like and is hard for me to work right to left.

Anyone ever had an M3? Thoughts?

Back