• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Yesterday I managed to qualify for the NC Senior despite 3-putting 4 times! Looking forward to the tournament at Croasdaile in Durham in May...

Way to go! I assume you have played Croasdaile before? I knew one of the pros who used to work out there, so I've played that course a bunch of times, its a fun track. I spent this past weekend getting my tail kicked at Starmount Forest in the Carolinas Mid-Am. Soft conditions, cold mornings, and wind gusts in the 15-25 mph range all weekend were not good for my game. Not a single player finished under par for the weekend. But still fun to be out there competing.

Way to go! I assume you have played Croasdaile before? I knew one of the pros who used to work out there, so I've played that course a bunch of times, its a fun track. I spent this past weekend getting my tail kicked at Starmount Forest in the Carolinas Mid-Am. Soft conditions, cold mornings, and wind gusts in the 15-25 mph range all weekend were not good for my game. Not a single player finished under par for the weekend. But still fun to be out there competing.

I have played it but only a couple of times. I remember being pleasantly surprised when I played it the first time.

Yea, I tried to qualify for the Carolinas Mid-Am but missed by a shot or two... Competitive golf really gets the juices flowing and, no matter how meaningless the competition, will quickly expose every weakness in your game.

bw8kxqkj1et81.jpg

My dad sent me a very lightly used TaylorMade M3 driver head that he didn't really hit well. I installed it with a HZRDUS smoke yellow shaft (6.0 stiff / 60g) but haven't hit it yet. My other driver is a Bridgestone JGR Tour B that I got on a great deal and has been good for low spin, but doesn't carry as far as I'd like and is hard for me to work right to left.

Anyone ever had an M3? Thoughts?

Update: this driver fucks I'm hitting it so straight and far

Related but I'm a pretty decent golfer (excellent ball striker, not as great around and on the greens mainly due to playing pretty infrequently these days) who has a 12-15 year old TM Burner driver. I don't need latest and greatest but if I wanted to spend say $200-250 on a lightly used driver anyone have any recs? Feel like I'm a few cycles behind on technology and could benefit from an upgrade. Irons and wedges are still solid. Just need a new big boy.

I'd decide whether you want to go low spin or more of a normal setup, then pick from the last generation of Taylormade, Ping, or Callaway drivers. The Ping G410 LST, Taylormade SIM2, and Callaway Epic Speed LS are all excellent low spin heads, they also all have a medium-spin variant. Can't go wrong with any of them.

What I'd also look for is one with an upgraded shaft that was still original OEM so you don't get any weird builds buying used. Sometimes you can find like a Ventus Blue/Black in an older head like that and still get a great deal on it. Short of that I'd just look for a HZRDUS, Diamana/Tensei Pro, or Graphite Design Tour AD (assuming the specific flex/options generally fit your swing speed and type).

Related but I'm a pretty decent golfer (excellent ball striker, not as great around and on the greens mainly due to playing pretty infrequently these days) who has a 12-15 year old TM Burner driver. I don't need latest and greatest but if I wanted to spend say $200-250 on a lightly used driver anyone have any recs? Feel like I'm a few cycles behind on technology and could benefit from an upgrade. Irons and wedges are still solid. Just need a new big boy.

Some of the equipment snobs might scoff at this, but I was in a similar position with driver about a year ago. Was playing a 15 year old Nike. I didn't really have any complaints with it, but wanted something new that wasn't going to break the bank. Found a steal in a new Wilson with a stiff shaft and 9 degree loft. It has a fixed loft, but that was about right for me. It doesn't have the best sound in the world, but I hit absolute bombs with it. It is also 100 times more forgiving than the 15 year old Nike. If you want to save some money, I would highly recommend.

I play the M3. Nothing has felt like I need a change. I assume due to the age of the club you could get one on the cheap. To be fair I only play ~10 times year these days (young kids) but it works for me (~8-9 handicap)

Some of the equipment snobs might scoff at this, but I was in a similar position with driver about a year ago. Was playing a 15 year old Nike. I didn't really have any complaints with it, but wanted something new that wasn't going to break the bank. Found a steal in a new Wilson with a stiff shaft and 9 degree loft. It has a fixed loft, but that was about right for me. It doesn't have the best sound in the world, but I hit absolute bombs with it. It is also 100 times more forgiving than the 15 year old Nike. If you want to save some money, I would highly recommend.

I did the same thing with the Bridgestone JGR Tour B, got a deal where it came with 2 dozen (yellow) tour balls for like $225. I used it for a couple of years without much complaint, the M3 just fell into my hands.

I'd decide whether you want to go low spin or more of a normal setup, then pick from the last generation of Taylormade, Ping, or Callaway drivers. The Ping G410 LST, Taylormade SIM2, and Callaway Epic Speed LS are all excellent low spin heads, they also all have a medium-spin variant. Can't go wrong with any of them.

What I'd also look for is one with an upgraded shaft that was still original OEM so you don't get any weird builds buying used. Sometimes you can find like a Ventus Blue/Black in an older head like that and still get a great deal on it. Short of that I'd just look for a HZRDUS, Diamana/Tensei Pro, or Graphite Design Tour AD (assuming the specific flex/options generally fit your swing speed and type).

I have a HZRDUS smoke yellow stiff that matches my medium tempo well. On my normal swing it's fantastic, but I haven't had great results when I really whip the hips through for an extra smash. It could just be my swing, but it feels like it really drags if you speed up the tempo too much, even if your backswing is Morikawa style

I have a HZRDUS smoke yellow stiff that matches my medium tempo well. On my normal swing it's fantastic, but I haven't had great results when I really whip the hips through for an extra smash. It could just be my swing, but it feels like it really drags if you speed up the tempo too much, even if your backswing is Morikawa style

Most (they've released so many it's hard to keep track) HZRDUS shafts don't follow the R/S/X stiffness setup, and generally their claim to fame is mixing different flexes in the butt/mid/tip sections so that aggressive swings still retain some feel.

Most of the setups that are popular have a less stiff butt section, a very stiff mid section, then the tip stiffness and torque changes based on the flex - and they go S/X/TX. Because of all that, what you're describing is very common - great fit to your normal swing (and looks really great on launch monitors when folks are testing them) but a lot of players need to move up a flex if they find themselves overpowering the shaft too often.

Of course, if you're not money-constrained, the Ventus (blue or black, depending on your feel preference) pretty much took these ideas, arguably perfected them, and are simply phenomenal for the mid to fast swing speeds. There's a reason the tour has absolutely flocked to them.

Managed to win my flight in my third straight member-member.

This one was especially fun. My partner and I only lost 2 holes the whole weekend.

We were one up, going into the final hole of our third match. Both of our opponents had <2ft putts for par, when I drained an insane ~55 foot bomb to close them out. I had one of our opponents tend the flag for me, which was probably poor form :D

I think they sorta assumed we would concede their pars (to halve the hole, and win the match by one), at that point... but we didn't know how the other match in our flight was going... so, we had them putt.

First dude rushed & missed badly. The second dude looked at his tap-in from every angle and proceeded to power-lip it. It added another half-a-point to our lead. Icy cold finish.

Playing 4 courses in Myrtle that I'm entirely unfamiliar with this weekend.

Prestwick, Arrowhead, Kings North, and Long Bay Club.

Taking a bunch of golf balls.

Playing 4 courses in Myrtle that I'm entirely unfamiliar with this weekend.

Prestwick, Arrowhead, Kings North, and Long Bay Club.

Taking a bunch of golf balls.

Ha. I’m playing Prestwick, Arrowhead, Kings North and Wild Wing this weekend.

Never played any of them before.

For the better golfers on here, have any of you successfully implemented major swing changes/overhauls? If so how long did it take and what would you say are the key things to focus on?

Back