• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Playing Birkdale outside Charlotte tomorrow for the first time. I've been told it's the best course out of all the Carolina Trail public courses around to I'm intrigued. Just hope it isn't a 6 hour round.

I prefer Skybrook, but it is definitely much better than some of the others on the trail (I'm looking at you, Charlotte Golf Links and the Divide). Definitely prepare for a slow round because there are a couple of blind tee shots which make you have to wait a little bit more than normal. Plus, most of these courses are spacing tee times at 8 or 9 minutes these days, when it should be 10 minimum. Puts way too many golfers out on the course at once.

Played Sapona down in Lexington today on a Golfnow deal ($25). Fun little track. My only complaint is that a lot of the holes had a hazard at about 250 from the tee which meant a lot hybrids and not many drivers. Played well (76), especially for the first time seeing the course.

I've played there a couple of times, and I agree about the hazards (#'s 1, 5, 8, 10, and 15 come to mind). A couple of their greens are a little ridiculous, too (#3 is like an upside down bowl). Still fun at that price.

I prefer Skybrook, but it is definitely much better than some of the others on the trail (I'm looking at you, Charlotte Golf Links and the Divide). Definitely prepare for a slow round because there are a couple of blind tee shots which make you have to wait a little bit more than normal. Plus, most of these courses are spacing tee times at 8 or 9 minutes these days, when it should be 10 minimum. Puts way too many golfers out on the course at once.

My favorite is The Tradition. Really like the layout. I actually don't mind the Divide, and it's in much better condition right now than usual. The greens also hold out there which is a plus.

Waterford, on the other hand, is awful and I will never venture back there again. Took a legit 6 hours to play. Greens were slow but ridiculously firm. Bad layout as well IMO.

My favorite is The Tradition. Really like the layout. I actually don't mind the Divide, and it's in much better condition right now than usual. The greens also hold out there which is a plus.

Waterford, on the other hand, is awful and I will never venture back there again. Took a legit 6 hours to play. Greens were slow but ridiculously firm. Bad layout as well IMO.

Haven't played the Tradition yet (would like to get out there sometime this year), and will be sure to steer clear of Waterford.

Haven't played the Tradition yet (would like to get out there sometime this year), and will be sure to steer clear of Waterford.

What's your handicap if you don't mind me asking? Maybe we could hit the Tradition sometime in the near future.

Got to play one day at the beach with my dad on his birthday and Doofus/Cumby. I was even through six, doubled the next three (yeah I don't know) and was -1 through four on the back (+5 total) when we got rained out. I was hitting the driver really well but wasn't particularly hitting my irons or approaches very close. I birdied two par 5's (a 540 and a 575). It's good to be playing again on a regular basis.

Love the story. Couldn't help it though, had to look up Lynwood's scorecard from the tips... Only one par 4 over 400 yards. 2 par 4's under 300 yards. Gotta be like pitch-and-putt to a legit player with decent length... Don't get me wrong, 55 is still amazing, but it's more like a 62 on a real course probably.

518 (par 5)
472 (par 5)
508 (Par 5)

6000 yards total

It's close to 6800 yards and a 72.8 course rating.

Weird, I pulled those from the card that said "tips" for the yardages...

Weird, I pulled those from the card that said "tips" for the yardages...

I never trust what I see a stated yardage and rating are unless I see a picture of the actual scorecard or a reference to something credible like a state/regional golf association rating book.

Yeah but I mean I thought I downloaded the picture of the scorecard... Maybe not. Where did you see the 72.8/6800 numbers?

From the top of the scorecard.

Well now I'm really confused. Steve Gilley shot a 55 in Martinsville, VA and was the original discussion and that's what I was looking up. That card is for Rhein Gibson, a different mini-tour player who shot a 55 in Oklahoma.

Should be playing Cape Fear National next week twice, hopefully I can start hitting a little better by then so it won't be a waste of time that would otherwise be spent on the beach. But with buddies who aren't great either, it should be a fun time regardless.

Playing Old Town tomorrow for the first time in at least 6 months. I wonder how playing on different courses will factor in to how I play there. Excited!

Shoot me a PM if anyone wants to play somewhere in the 336, im down to play anytime during the day

Anyone looking to play in Charlotte hit me up. I'm always looking for a game. I'm about a 4 handicap

I'm heading out by myself to Spring Creek today for a 3:10 tee-time this afternoon. The more the merrier; and as its been discussed on the thread, the 'hot deals' through GolfNow are clutch.

Spring Creek is the nicest course i've played in many years. Think I'm paying $25 for this round through GolfNow.

$24 'hot special' at Spring Creek is back active for certain tee-times. I've booked one spot in the 3:10 group & would love to tee it up with somebody from the boards if anybody's schedule allows...

Back