• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I'm pretty happy about the membership I'm doing in Richmond. Played it a month ago with NoVa and barrpet and it's definitely a walkable course and only about 15/20 minutes away from both where I live and where I'll be working.

Stonehenge

$1500 one-time stock purchase (refundable upon leaving club)
$275 a month
Free walking, cart is $9/$18 for 9 or 18 holes
2 free green fees at each ClubCorp club a month
2 free meals per month at any ClubCorp dining club
50% off all dining

Full membership that includes all other assets of the country club (golf, tennis, etc.)

I grew up on the 17th hole. Good course.

Ask if they have any times where it is mandatory to ride carts.

Ask for a history of assessments over the last 5 years.

Is the $5k an initiation fee or an annual membership fee? Either way it sounds like a decent high end club. There are tons of deals cheaper than that here in NC, and I suspect the TX market is just as cheap.

In general something like 75% of all private clubs are losing money right now. Many are on the edge of bankruptcy. In this golf market, I'm not sure it's worth it to pay any sort of initiation fee for anything other than the best private clubs.

Good thoughts. The $5k is the annual membership fee. There's no initiation fee. I guess you'd describe it as semi-private, since it can be played for $125 by the public. What I like about it is that it's close (10-15 mins from home), golf only, with no initiation fees, no food mins, etc. I'm hoping because the price tag is high, that even though it's public, it won't be terribly crowded. I'm not sure if there's any way of knowing for sure. They don't currently have online tee times. Not so much worried about being able to get out as winding up in 5 hr rounds.

It's only 2 yrs old, but can you explain more about what you meant by the history of assessments? Wonder if I'd have any luck talking them into 18 mos or something similar for that price.

Woof...yesterday I shot right at par playing a 4-person best ball. Played with a guy who took driver on a 170yd Par 3, but his major flaw was playing at the pace of a sloth and throwing everyone off rhythm. Good news is I fixed the push with my irons! Keeping right leg stationary (bending inward) to prevent hip sway, and following through per DCDeac's post. Still hitting irons thin and skulled a few wedge shots...need to stay down.

Last edited:
Bill Haas with the nationwide is on your side golf commercial solo spot

If any Pinebrook members find some Bridgestone e6's. They are mine. Lost 13 today.

If any Pinebrook members find some Bridgestone e6's. They are mine. Lost 13 today.

Yikes. I know a lot of the woods on the back are a bit overgrown, but 13 is impressive. They are talking about staking most of the woods on the back as a lateral hazard in order to help speed up play, especially for the upcoming Forsyth Am.

Sliced the ball pretty bad off the tee, and had a couple of blocked iron shots. On a Sunday, I'm not trying to hold everyone up searching through the jungle.

Lost two in that pond on the back 9.

Sadly, I had maybe my best day ever on or around the greens. Not going to help when you give away 26 strokes basically.

Yikes. I know a lot of the woods on the back are a bit overgrown, but 13 is impressive. They are talking about staking most of the woods on the back as a lateral hazard in order to help speed up play, especially for the upcoming Forsyth Am.

That would help a ton.

Not sure if I've stated it on here, but I am about an ardent opposer of the re-tee for lost balls/out of bounds of anybody out there.

What do you mean?

Just the stroke and distance rule for a lost ball or one that goes out of bounds. It slows people down tremendously (I know that is why provisionals are hit), and for the amateur golfer, although most just drop and hit instead of re-tee, it makes for a long penalty and can turn people off.

Just the stroke and distance rule for a lost ball or one that goes out of bounds. It slows people down tremendously (I know that is why provisionals are hit), and for the amateur golfer, although most just drop and hit instead of re-tee, it makes for a long penalty and can turn people off.

I hit one provisional then drop and hit if necessary. I am bad, but not slow.

If I shank two drives, odds are I'm picking up and marking 10 anyway.

If I'm just playing with friends/for fun then I almost always drop and hit (with a stroke penalty). I never hit provisionals/go re-tee.

Fair enough. If there is a clear marker like an obvious land mark, I will drop and hit from time to time.

Fair enough. If there is a clear marker like an obvious land mark, I will drop and hit from time to time.

Most of the ones that I lose are questionable whether they will be lost or not. I usually have too much faith in my ability to either find it or the ball taking a good bounce haha.

My misses are rarely generous. Off the tee, I miss over trees to the right. High and outside.

I did have one 5i shot disappear of the fairway. Lost it in the sun. I thought it felt and sounded great, then I couldn't find it anywhere.

This was a second shot after a sliced tee shot got thrown back on the fairway by a tree. Luck couldn't got my way today.

Back