• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Probably should mention that I pulled a muscle in my upper back on the range before the round.

Woof...yesterday I shot right at par playing a 4-person best ball. Played with a guy who took driver on a 170yd Par 3, but his major flaw was playing at the pace of a sloth and throwing everyone off rhythm. Good news is I fixed the push with my irons! Keeping right leg stationary (bending inward) to prevent hip sway, and following through per DCDeac's post. Still hitting irons thin and skulled a few wedge shots...need to stay down.

I've long since felt this was one of my weakest points, as I'm bowlegged. The best golfer on my HS team had an inward bending knee and it always seemed to keep him much more stable at the base. Never seen a pro-golfer be bowlegged.

Played yesterday and today back at my home course in Maryland. Shot 92 both times, even though I hit the ball a lot better today (finishing double-triple-double kind of ruined the score. Think I kind of ran out of steam...not sure why I didn't take a cart, it was hot as balls out there). Had 3 birdies on the weekend, including back-to-back birds yesterday (first time I've ever done that I think). Not a bad score for me, I'm technically a 14 handicap right now, but since I've only played a couple rounds this year, I'm playing more like a 16-17. I think the course is much tougher than its 71.2/126 rating/slope too.

I played with a couple guys who are somewhere in the 5-7 range, while the fourth guy is scratch. The difference is short game quality between a 0 and a 6 is really just incredible, let alone between a 0 and a 15. If the scratch player had taken over for me whenever I got within 150 yards, we would have shot around an 80 today probably.

I think this summer I'm really going to try to commit to spending 3/4 of practice time on my short game. Anyone have any short game tips/drills that they highly recommend?

^developing a consistent and accurate knockdown shot and 3/4th shot with all of your wedges (if you don't already have one) is a huge help from inside 150. Being able to score from inside that distance is key and being able to cover all distances without trouble from inside 150 yards gives you a ton of confidence and will improve your scoring as you will miss less greens and have better birdie putts. Obviously chipping/pitching practice is pretty important. I like the circle putting drill as well to work on your putting inside 10 feet, which can gain you quite a few strokes.

Word. I'm playing in a two-man CC tourney out there on June 2-3 so I want to see the course. Is anybody interested in meeting up to play there on Friday (around 12)?

Good luck out there today.

Played Old Town on Thursday with my dad and Doofus and shot a 74. I bogeyed the first two holes before parring five of the next six with the only bogey being a three putt from about 12 feet on a par three. I then bogeyed 9, my least favorite hole on the course. I really played a lot better on the back side and my irons were on point. I bogeyed 11, a 180 yard par three, and then parred out until 17 where I birded. Ended up missing a 10 footer for birdie on 18 to shoot 34 on the back, but ended up shooting 39-35 which I was happy with. My handicap is around a 5 right now with my last 7 scores entered on top of the 4.2 that it was when I stopped last summer. I need to work on my consistency of irons and my driving accuracy to keep improving my game. Putting from around 15-25 feet can definitely improve as well. Chipping is by far the best part of my game, it's not close, I've chipped in probably 3 times in the last 4 rounds and rarely fail to get up and down if I'm inside 10 yards.

Had a whiff today. Ball was on a really steep slope (right foot about 18 in below left) and I was worried about hurting my wrist. Pussed out on the downswing and took what resembled a baseball swing. First whiff in 13 or 14 years.

It was the most embarrassing part of the round until my friend shit himself on 15 green.

Had a whiff today. Ball was on a really steep slope (right foot about 18 in below left) and I was worried about hurting my wrist. Pussed out on the downswing and took what resembled a baseball swing. First whiff in 13 or 14 years.

It was the most embarrassing part of the round until my friend shit himself on 15 green.

Literally?

Skimmed through this thread and didn't notice anything, but apologies if this has been asked before. If someone (me) really wants to learn to play golf, but has never swung a golf club (other than a putter aiming at a pirate ship or clowns mouth), doesn't own clubs and doesn't belong to a club, how do you go about breaking into the game? It seems like a bit of a gamble to go out and buy clubs without knowing if I am going to hate it. Should I just go to a driving range, rent clubs and try to hit a bucket of balls? Or can you buy super cheap (maybe) used clubs? Does equipment even matter when you are just trying to learn how to hold the club and swing? Would it be better to get a series of 4 lessons to get some basic instruction before even attempting to hit balls myself (this seems like a good idea to me, but I don't know just how "beginner" a pro would want to deal with). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Definitely wish I had started this earlier in life, but it just wasn't something I grew up around at all.

Most places where you would take lessons should have some clubs available. Check with them. You could cobble together a pretty cheap set of used clubs at somewhere like Play It Again Sports. Start with lessons though. Get good habits before bad ones.

Played 18 @ Cape Fear Country Club this afternoon..hit the ball pretty good.

Played there on Friday, that's a really nice course, especially for $45. I'll definitely play it every chance I get down there. I shot one of my worst scores of all time, but I was actually hitting my irons pretty well (had a nice 230 yd drive with a 4-iron, just past my buddy's 3H, glad I'm getting that distance back). My driver, despite being awesome on the range on Thursday and before the round, let me down HUGE as I lost a ball almost every time I hit it, and my putting was awful. Oh well, back to the range. Gotta work on consistency off the tee.

Took 3 fairly good sets to goodwill today. 2 nice women's and 1 kind of crappy men's. Was gonna sell on interwebs, but then said fuck it, too much hassle, I just give to the people and take the tax deduction.

Played there on Friday, that's a really nice course, especially for $45. I'll definitely play it every chance I get down there. I shot one of my worst scores of all time, but I was actually hitting my irons pretty well (had a nice 230 yd drive with a 4-iron, just past my buddy's 3H, glad I'm getting that distance back). My driver, despite being awesome on the range on Thursday and before the round, let me down HUGE as I lost a ball almost every time I hit it, and my putting was awful. Oh well, back to the range. Gotta work on consistency off the tee.

Also, the starter gave us tips when we were heading off, mentioning that he guaranteed we couldn't finish the round with 1 ball. My buddy and I both agreed to buy each other a beer if we managed. We both lost of our first tee shots.

Skimmed through this thread and didn't notice anything, but apologies if this has been asked before. If someone (me) really wants to learn to play golf, but has never swung a golf club (other than a putter aiming at a pirate ship or clowns mouth), doesn't own clubs and doesn't belong to a club, how do you go about breaking into the game? It seems like a bit of a gamble to go out and buy clubs without knowing if I am going to hate it. Should I just go to a driving range, rent clubs and try to hit a bucket of balls? Or can you buy super cheap (maybe) used clubs? Does equipment even matter when you are just trying to learn how to hold the club and swing? Would it be better to get a series of 4 lessons to get some basic instruction before even attempting to hit balls myself (this seems like a good idea to me, but I don't know just how "beginner" a pro would want to deal with). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Definitely wish I had started this earlier in life, but it just wasn't something I grew up around at all.

Many ranges and public courses have a ladies night with free instruction. Call around.

Played 18 @ Cape Fear Country Club this afternoon..hit the ball pretty good.

Also, what's the deal with those fairway "bunkers" that the cart paths go through? Allowing carts to drive ANYWHERE in those bunkers is ridiculous and creates an enormous area that is in just terrible shape to hit out of. That was the only complaint my buddy and I had about the course. In my opinion they should make those cart paths blocked so you can't drive off of them into the rest of the "bunker", and keep the rest of the area in bunker-like (or at least, closer to bunker-like) condition.

Also, what's the deal with those fairway "bunkers" that the cart paths go through? Allowing carts to drive ANYWHERE in those bunkers is ridiculous and creates an enormous area that is in just terrible shape to hit out of. That was the only complaint my buddy and I had about the course. In my opinion they should make those cart paths blocked so you can't drive off of them into the rest of the "bunker", and keep the rest of the area in bunker-like (or at least, closer to bunker-like) condition.

I'm assuming these are waste bunkers, thus the differences. You're actually allowed to ground your club in these/move loose impediments, etc. Well, unless you're Dustin Johnson.

I played a course called Green Meadows in Mount Holly that was hilariously awesome. Course was 5900yards. Irons I hit on the entire 18.. 3 iron off tee, 7 iron into par 5, 4 iron on long par 4. My wedge play was pretty horrific and I shot 68 (par 70). I want to go back ASAP and try to shoot 59.

I'm assuming these are waste bunkers, thus the differences. You're actually allowed to ground your club in these/move loose impediments, etc. Well, unless you're Dustin Johnson.

I played a course called Green Meadows in Mount Holly that was hilariously awesome. Course was 5900yards. Irons I hit on the entire 18.. 3 iron off tee, 7 iron into par 5, 4 iron on long par 4. My wedge play was pretty horrific and I shot 68 (par 70). I want to go back ASAP and try to shoot 59.

Yeah I know you can ground your club, but my point isn't really that the bunkers just play like complete crap. Not because they aren't taken care of or anything, but because the cart path goes right through them so everyone gets to drive all over all of the sand, resulting in all kinds of crazy lies. It didn't affect any of my shots, and I had a fantastic 7I onto a green out of one, but it certainly affected my partner. One hole in particular had the waste running the length, and about 100 yds from the green, it cut across the fairway and was about 75-90 yds long.

Back