• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

You'd think not... But we did.. First one short somehow... Second roared past the hole.. Third back up. Tap in the fourth. Not a great start to the day but whatever :)

It's a better start than your partner had to the day in the last member guest you played in.

Is it crazy to get the SLDR if you're a hacker that is happy to break 100? I tried one out yesterday and was hitting it pretty well but I did not have the impression that it was a forgiving/game improvement driver

Is it crazy to get the SLDR if you're a hacker that is happy to break 100? I tried one out yesterday and was hitting it pretty well but I did not have the impression that it was a forgiving/game improvement driver

You could just wait a couple months and Taylor Made will release something "better" and wholesale the SLDR for half price. Repeat every 4-6 months.

You could just wait a couple months and Taylor Made will release something "better" and wholesale the SLDR for half price. Repeat every 4-6 months.

But the SLDR is the greatest driver in all of ever!!!!!!

If you current driver is greater than 5 years old you'd likely see a benefit from new technology. I have the R1 and got it during the descent in price as the SLDR was coming out. I really like the club. When I hit it poorly (often) it's the swinger of the club and not the club that's at fault. Before that I had the TM R-4 and the difference in forgiveness with the R1 was pretty dramatic.

Go get fitted and try out some other drivers if you're looking to drop serious cash.

From what I've heard, the SLDR is a great driver for people who consistently strike the ball very well. However, if you don't hit the sweet spot or swing with a great deal of side spin, it will only magnify the effects of that spin. For someone struggling to break 100, the SLDR will be very frustrating as you should be looking for a more forgiving driver.

For most my friends who are worse than bogey golfers, the Burner 2.0 has been very popular. And you can grab a new one online for less than $100.

I should check those out

Tries the sldr, Cleveland classic, and big Bertha yesterday and hit the sldr the best by far

But I suck compared to all you guys on this thread

First round in 3 weeks...shot my low score of the year from the tips: 69, with a double on a par 5. Stupid game.

First round in 3 weeks...shot my low score of the year from the tips: 69, with a double on a par 5. Stupid game.

Same story here, I hit the ball as well as I have in a few months and totally botch it at the end with a 4 putt on 16 and a double on 18 to shoot 78. That will leave a sour taste in your mouth.

Haven't put together a great round yet this year thanks to a balky driver, but did snag another spot at the Pinehurst College Alumni tourney. Considering the US Open is there this year it'll be even more fun than usual (even if they are blowing up the greens right after the Opens are over).

Haven't put together a great round yet this year thanks to a balky driver, but did snag another spot at the Pinehurst College Alumni tourney. Considering the US Open is there this year it'll be even more fun than usual (even if they are blowing up the greens right after the Opens are over).

Need a 4th?

Need a 4th?

Ha. One of the guys would literally have to die for a spot to become available... Plus your index is way too damn low if you're shooting in the 60's. Last year the Iowa State team sent 4 guys who all played college golf - one of them led the Big 12 in scoring average a few years ago - so gross is pretty unreachable without four tournament-tested plus indexes. Our team covers a broad spectrum - +1, 4, 11, 18 - so our game is net. Not that we've been all that close so far. Lots of questionable handicaps in that thing. Two years ago a 10 index shot a gross 67 on #2. Surrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Any tips for iron accuracy? My most common gaffe is sliding my hips rather than turning them, and pushing the ball to the right.

The one evening I only have time for 9 holes I shoot 1 over. When I've got all the time in the world I shoot 85. Oh well, nice to know there is a decent golfer in there somewhere. He just gets overshadowed by the average/bad golfer most of the time.

I threw down an 84 yesterday at Old Town in my first round in six months. Shot 39 on the front (with a triple on the easy par 5) and then really played poorly on the back with a 45, which included three pars on the last three holes. Haven't played worse in a six hole stretch than I did over the first six on the back side though in quite a long time.

This is borderline impossible

This 13 handicapper's -1 on #2 says hello

th

This is borderline impossible

Don't even get me started. That tournament was insane. 70 teams, top 10 all in the -25 to -32 range because it was 2 rounds, best 2 net of 4 players (which is about right). Except 2 teams ran away to -52. The scoring was done on handheld devices during the round. One team finished with birdie/birdie on 18 to get to -54. 30 minutes go by, and sure enough the final team posts birdie-eagle to win at -55. Their rounds featured:

1) The 10 handicap shooting 67/71 on #2 and #4 consecutively.
2) All 4 players on the team beating the handicaps by at least 5 shots during all 8 rounds.
3) 7 net double-eagles
4) Not a single recorded bogey
5) The 10 was their lowest handicap - the other 3 guys were between 12-18.

On the positive side, Jay Bilas was the speaker and he openly mocked them as cheaters, then when they came up to get their trophy (no money prize, thankfully) they were loudly booed. The tournament decided to add walking scorers the next year, and the same team shot -2.

Probably the worst example of blatant cheating in golf I've ever seen, minus maybe my friend's dad carrying two indexes because he and his son have the same name and his son doesn't play golf.

Back