• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

A good tip that I got from this thread was to hit your irons ~75% instead of 100%. Sure it is an ego boost to say I hit a pitching wedge 140-150 yds but I hit a lot more greens when I hit an 8 iron at 75% from that distance.

I've had a 4 man scramble team shoot gross 51 (-21) at Bryan Park and lose. All 4 of us were 3 handicaps or less. It is possible to go that low especially if you have 4 par 5 and a driveable par 4 or 2. Still, it required near flawless putting from 20 feet and in.

Events like that are loaded with cheaters. Still a very impressive score.
I've had a 4 man scramble team shoot gross 51 (-21) at Bryan Park and lose. All 4 of us were 3 handicaps or less. It is possible to go that low especially if you have 4 par 5 and a driveable par 4 or 2. Still, it required near flawless putting from 20 feet and in.

Anyone here using the Ping i25 irons? I currently play with the i5s and did not know if the new technology was worth the upgrade.

Not sure if you're referencing my story - but it was a best ball, not a scramble. That's what made the scores so ridiculous. It was the equivalent of 4 scratch players all averaging a 62 on their own ball for 2 rounds.

-22 is always the target for a scramble. Only gotten there once though. Always depends on the course setup. When they play them from the 6,000 yard tees and make a bunch of par 4's reachable, the scores can get crazy. Throw in some $10 mulligans or whatever they do to raise money and you also have to deal with rampant cheating...

I've got a buddy who is a great amateur player and gets invited to some big money games from time to time. He told me about one scramble where thousands and thousands of dollars were on the line. They played in eightsomes so every group would have another group watching their every move and he said lots of the players had handguns in their golf bags in case trouble broke out... That is some pressure right there...!

I've got a buddy who is a great amateur player and gets invited to some big money games from time to time. He told me about one scramble where thousands and thousands of dollars were on the line. They played in eightsomes so every group would have another group watching their every move and he said lots of the players had handguns in their golf bags in case trouble broke out... That is some pressure right there...!

Was it in Myrtle Beach?

I think it was in Myrtle, as a matter of fact - though it has been a number of years since he was telling me about it.

Anyone here using the Ping i25 irons? I currently play with the i5s and did not know if the new technology was worth the upgrade.
Yeah, I just got fitted for them a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately can't give much of a review on them as I'm still adapting to them.

and they are great clubs, IMHO. But I haven't hit the SLDR or the new Callaway driver. Of course Titleist makes a nice big stick too.

Picked up a new Vokey LW today. Was playing a few days ago and thought I put some sizzle on a few really crisp wedge shots only to see them land with no spin. Took a look at the grooves and they were shot. I think I've had that LW for 3 years now. Probably about a year too long.

Shot a 79 today at OTC. Good round but left a lot of shots out on the course. Made three bogies and three doubles to go with a dozen pars.

When I play with my dad and Doofus we will play almost 100% by the rules. We play provisionals off the tee and rarely play mulligans. If you land in a bare spot on the fairway we generally let people move it around, especially at OTC, less so at other courses where everything is bare.

Played Spring Creek out near Charlottesville today which is really a great course (73.1/144). After starting off double-double, found my groove and shot a 45-38, with an 85 yard shot for eagle on 18. Lot of very tough pin placements with steep traps and water around the greens.

Playing Kiskiack out near Williamsburg tomorrow which should be quite easier.

I just picked up golf. Literally, just picked it up. I can count on one hand how many rounds I've played. I've done extremely bad but I'm having a blast! :woot:

At the risk of completely embarrassing myself, here's what I've done so far...

1st game ever: Bur-Mil Park: Par 3, 9 holes (May 17)
  • Shot a 47.
  • 1 par
  • 3 bogeys
  • 1 double bogey
  • 4 over double bogeys

2nd game: Bur-Mil Park: Par 3, 9 holes; Oddly enough, same stats, just on different holes. (May 18)
  • Shot a 47.
  • 1 par
  • 3 bogeys
  • 1 double bogey
  • 4 over double bogeys

3rd game: Dawn Acres Golf Club: Par 71, 18 holes (May 22)
  • Shot a 123.
  • 1 par
  • 2 bogeys
  • 6 double bogey
  • 9 over double bogeys

4th and most recent game: Quarry Hills Country Club: Par 71, 18 holes (May 27)
  • Shot a 139.
  • 0 pars
  • 2 bogeys
  • 2 double bogey
  • 14 over double bogeys

Keep at it Chris. It's a game you can always improve at and enjoy forever.

It's also a game that will make you lose sleep at night and you will hate yourself for starting.

The game I love to hate

I imagine Rory is feeling that way today at the Memorial. -9 on the first day for the lead, and after seven holes on the second day he is +6 and he even had a birdie. Can’t remember seeing a player at his level that can be that good one day and so crappy to next. THREE DOUBLES in row!!

It's also a game that will make you lose sleep at night and you will hate yourself for starting.

The game I love to hate

Chris, it's fine to suck on the course, just for the love of god suck quickly. Keep up the pace of play and hack away. We all did at one point, some (read: me) still do.

jokes on jokes

Back