• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I've never broken par, primarily because when I was down to about a three to five I was playing Old Town every day and it's a damn hard course, but I've always figured if I haven't broken par and have been a single digit golfer for the better part of a decade that people who are tens aren't going to be throwing down 67s at Pinehurst.

I shot even once at Old Town, missing about a 12 foot birdie putt on 18 to shoot 69. I've shot a 32 before on the front side, but followed it up with a 39 for a 71. I've probably broken par on the front side of Old Town close to two dozen times, the back is just a monster.

Probably the worst example of blatant cheating in golf I've ever seen, minus maybe my friend's dad carrying two indexes because he and his son have the same name and his son doesn't play golf.

Kim Jong-il says hello.

Don't even get me started. That tournament was insane. 70 teams, top 10 all in the -25 to -32 range because it was 2 rounds, best 2 net of 4 players (which is about right). Except 2 teams ran away to -52. The scoring was done on handheld devices during the round. One team finished with birdie/birdie on 18 to get to -54. 30 minutes go by, and sure enough the final team posts birdie-eagle to win at -55. Their rounds featured:

1) The 10 handicap shooting 67/71 on #2 and #4 consecutively.
2) All 4 players on the team beating the handicaps by at least 5 shots during all 8 rounds.
3) 7 net double-eagles
4) Not a single recorded bogey
5) The 10 was their lowest handicap - the other 3 guys were between 12-18.

On the positive side, Jay Bilas was the speaker and he openly mocked them as cheaters, then when they came up to get their trophy (no money prize, thankfully) they were loudly booed. The tournament decided to add walking scorers the next year, and the same team shot -2.

Probably the worst example of blatant cheating in golf I've ever seen, minus maybe my friend's dad carrying two indexes because he and his son have the same name and his son doesn't play golf.

Holy shit that is ridiculous. I thought they were lying about their handicaps. As bad as that is, these guys were flat out cheating on the scorecard? Pathetic. I have always assumed when people "cheat" at those events they sandbag a little on their handicap. Glad they were loudly booed.

Played in a captain's choice yesterday. Our handicaps were 8, 12, 17 and 18. We shot -9 and net -14. Don't feel like we could have done much better; we finished around 8th out of 20. I believe net -21 won the morning wave.

The running theory is that they recorded their net scores into the system instead of gross as we were told, thus getting a double-net, and that they were too embarrassed/proud/excited/assholes to correct it. What's funny is when you look at the breakdown of holes they were often leaving behind a birdie when taking the best 2 (3 of 4 guys making birdie or better was common), and their total was basically the worst they could have shot. The team that finished behind them (and was also full of shit) at least made it look possible - a case of perfect brother-in-law golf where 2 guys would make 8's and then 2 guys would make birdies. Every hole.

How do you get a net score in a captain's choice?

We have guys in our member guest every year who are sporting anywhere from a 6 to 8 index who will drop a gross 33 or 34 on the front nine of our course, which is fairly easy, but should not have an 8 index shooting 33, net 29 for 9 holes.

Fortunately, the front nine is being lengthed by about 150 yards (And the entire course by around 250). 2 of the 390 yard par 4's are getting stretched back around 435 and 450, which should take a little bit of wind out of the sandbaggers' sails.

There are formulas that can calculate a team's net handicap and then simply deduct strokes from the final 18 hole score. It's never netted out on a hole by hole basis.

There are formulas that can calculate a team's net handicap and then simply deduct strokes from the final 18 hole score. It's never netted out on a hole by hole basis.

Ah. I've played in like 500 scrambles and never run into that before.

Ah. I've played in like 500 scrambles and never run into that before.

Really? Most charity events seem to have a similar format. Makes it somewhat enjoyable for the double-digit handicapper.

Thanks - I've heard of handicapped scrambles just never knew how they did it. Most tournaments just flight the results and call it a day, especially since your average scramble player probably doesn't carry an actual handicap anyway.

The running theory is that they recorded their net scores into the system instead of gross as we were told, thus getting a double-net, and that they were too embarrassed/proud/excited/assholes to correct it. What's funny is when you look at the breakdown of holes they were often leaving behind a birdie when taking the best 2 (3 of 4 guys making birdie or better was common), and their total was basically the worst they could have shot. The team that finished behind them (and was also full of shit) at least made it look possible - a case of perfect brother-in-law golf where 2 guys would make 8's and then 2 guys would make birdies. Every hole.

I just played in one of these. They took 10% of our combined handicap as a team. Played with a 25, 25, 20, and my 10.... Got 8 shots

Very true. "Uh, put me down for an 18."

I play 3-6 times a year these days, mostly in scrambles. Played this past Sunday and shot an 83. 3 birdies and 3 doubles and quite a few bogeys that could/should have been pars. I still strike the ball really well, and roll in my fair share of putts, but my game absolutely falls apart between 1-120 yards from the green. I marked down 6 wasted strokes yesterday where I flubbed a pitch, chunked a chip or thinned a 3/4 wedge, and that's conservative considering that my follow-up shots after those weren't exactly excellent either. The only up and downs I had were good putts rather than the result of good chips/pitches. That said, since my short game blows but I can still hit the hell out of the ball and putt pretty well, I tend to make a good partner in scrambles.

Not really complaining, as I can still step out on the course and play without embarrassing myself, but it sucks to be able to remember hitting those shots that kept my handicap low years ago and not be able to produce them now. Like LK said above, it's a funny game.

Golf is fun but damn it's expensive. It's been one of my big budget cuts since graduating and I've replaced it with cheaper sports like frolf and fishing.

People do shoot extraordinary rounds - I remember decades ago my father and three friends going to Pinehurst. Three of them were bogey golfers at best. One of those three (not my dad) shot a 67 (doubt it was on #2), but still to shoot that anywhere...

Two worst examples of cheating in a scramble. When Sean Hannity was a radio broadcaster in Atlanta, he use to host a tournament. It was played on a new Freddie Couples designed course - Hamilton Mill. Without handicaps, the winning team posted a 51. I remember Hannity laughing about it the next day on his show and one of the team members calling in to defend the team's honor. My question is - how many golf bags does a person really need (typical winning prize at the time)?

In the same tournament, there was a closest to the hole competition and one of my teammates nearly aced the hole. He was a ball at most outside the cup. He was walking to the podium to collect his prize (a golf trip to either Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head) when another name was called. Impossible!

The second tourney was a church tournament. The director of the tournament from the previous year had a team of 4 players with a +20 handicap (they were in front of us and all used the white tees that only high handicappers were allowed to use per tourney rules). Even so, four high handicap groups are going to have the hole(s) where collectively all hit poor drives, miss greens, make poor chips, and miss putts. Any round underpar is good for a group like that - would you not agree? They turned in a 54 (again without handicap). Really?

In a casual golf format (playing with friends) what is acceptable cheating? I typically improve bad lies and I only use mulligans if it's approved before the round. Also if I hit a drive and a provisional and both are OB, I'll drop near the spot of the first drive and play it as if it was my provisional.

In a casual golf format (playing with friends) what is acceptable cheating?

That's something for you and your friends to decide. The answer is mostly "none" if you're asking about what my friends and I allow. I guess at times we may make an exception for OB if you think your ball was in but actually took a hard kick out, or if you just can't find the ball, rather than forcing someone to head back to the tee box and slow down the course for everyone behind us.

Last edited:
In a casual golf format (playing with friends) what is acceptable cheating? I typically improve bad lies and I only use mulligans if it's approved before the round. Also if I hit a drive and a provisional and both are OB, I'll drop near the spot of the first drive and play it as if it was my provisional.

That's pretty much how my friends and I play; we're all terribad though. I think the best in the bunch is about a 12 handicap; the rest of us are hackers.

ETA: That's only when we play together. Only one or two of the guys ever play "tournament golf" and they play to the rules in those cases (as far as I've seen/know).

Last edited:
I just never do anything outside the rules without first asking someone else in the group. If I'm in an area where there's rocks and stones all around the shot, I'll often ask if I can move the ball to a similar place where I'm not improving my shot, often still just punching out or something.

We also play all OB as lateral hazards but that's just to speed up the game and prevent some of my friends from losing 10+ balls in a day.

But in a scramble or any tournament, it's play by the rules.

I just never do anything outside the rules without first asking someone else in the group. If I'm in an area where there's rocks and stones all around the shot, I'll often ask if I can move the ball to a similar place where I'm not improving my shot, often still just punching out or something.

We also play all OB as lateral hazards but that's just to speed up the game and prevent some of my friends from losing 10+ balls in a day.

But in a scramble or any tournament, it's play by the rules.

All of this.

Back