• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Question for the North Carolina folks. I've got a group of 8 guys playing in an October tournament at Pinehurst this year, and maybe 6 of us will be headed down early to play some weekend golf prior to the tournament. Some are more price-conscious than others, so while some of us want to play Dormie Club, Pine Needles, Mid Pines, or additional Pinehurst resort courses, I'm looking for maybe some lesser known, less expensive options. Usually we're down there outside of the prime season so it's not quite as painful. Also probably going to avoid Tobacco Road this time around since we've hit it a couple times already. Last year we tacked on a round at some course that has a horse racing track through part of it - it was ok but not great. Can't remember the name.

My dad just played a golf tournament and got a Game Golf system. Anyone played with it? Trying to figure out if I should steal it or not

Only drawbacks appear to be that it doesn't give you anything during the round. It just lets you see it after the round when you hook it up to a computer.

It does have a phone app so I guess you get distances and what not of your clubs on the go, but they could probably have a yardage on the belt clip.

I checked it out earlier and it's around 250. Good for free but I'm not sure I'd buy it.

Question for the North Carolina folks. I've got a group of 8 guys playing in an October tournament at Pinehurst this year, and maybe 6 of us will be headed down early to play some weekend golf prior to the tournament. Some are more price-conscious than others, so while some of us want to play Dormie Club, Pine Needles, Mid Pines, or additional Pinehurst resort courses, I'm looking for maybe some lesser known, less expensive options. Usually we're down there outside of the prime season so it's not quite as painful. Also probably going to avoid Tobacco Road this time around since we've hit it a couple times already. Last year we tacked on a round at some course that has a horse racing track through part of it - it was ok but not great. Can't remember the name.

Little River in Carthage maybe?

I was just there last weekend. It had always been okay for our quick tournaments where we drank like crazy people, but it's gone downhill. The course was still in decent shape, but the amenities were severely lacking: no beer cart, no starter or ranger (although that didn't really bother us), and the restaurant/bar's kitchen shut down at 8:30. We finished playing 36 just before 8:00 and go back to take showers and when we get to the bar, there's nothing to eat and we're all drunk. Had to take a van to go to Hickory Tavern. But really, the no beer cart thing was the biggest drawback. The lady at the concession stand told me they just weren't busy enough to need a beer cart.

My dad just played a golf tournament and got a Game Golf system. Anyone played with it? Trying to figure out if I should steal it or not

Two friends around here got it. Biggest problems were them getting made fun of and forgetting to tap it before every shot.

Also not positive but think there may have been some confusion for drops/OBs/etc. but that was probably user error.

Hyland Hills is good for the money as is Whispering Pines CC. They are both sub 50/round.

Pretty sure you are referring to Longleaf Golf Club. It definitely still has parts of a horse racing track through the course (around holes 6/7/8 on the front nine).

It's definitely Longleaf. Lost states there my senior year by 1 stroke to Cardinal Gibbons. I'll never go back

You shoulda made that putt.

Yep, 3 1/2 footer on 18 (#9 that day, started on the back)

Or our #3 man could have not made a 10 on #17, that would have helped as well. Buried in the lip of the green side bunked and didn't take an unplayable until 3 trys later.

Anyone have recommendations for golf courses near Atlantic City? Looking for both:

A) A nice course you'd recommend playing

and

B) A cheap course that 8 guys could go and have a good time, with multiple 100+ golfers.

On a visit to the Jersey shore last week a friend hooked us up with a chance to play the Bayonne Golf Club. It is in Bayonne, NJ, across the river from Manhattan and required a 2 hour drive at 5:30 in the morning, but it was worth it. This place supposedly cost $150M to build. The land was used to dump material dredged from the bottom of the shipping channels - they then spent 5-6 years trucking in topsoil, sand, etc. to cover the entire 150 acres. Then they carved the place into a links-style course covered with Fescue... I thought the place was gorgeous and a lot of fun. When you were in the 'valley' of a fairway with no view of the distant skyline, you could have been anywhere in the world - including Scotland...

It is super exclusive - with a reported initiation fee of $175k. No cart paths anywhere - caddies only. Two of us shared a caddy and it was awesome. I have used caddies before but this was probably the closest I have come to having a tour caddy experience. "You've got 52 to the front, 65 to the pin, a little wind hurting, green is up a little, green slopes right to left, aim at that distant tower there and hit it 170-175"... Once I learned I could trust him, it was amazing how much that takes the doubt out of your swing! I played great. Putting was even better. The stress in your muscles caused by doubt about the line is a major factor in putting problems. I could relax completely and aim where he told me - I made a bunch of putts and even more good strokes. He gave me maybe 2-3 bad reads all day...

I had one of my better rounds in a while and loved the course! I recommend it if you have the connections.

One of the strangest things about the day was driving to the course. We had no idea where we were going so were following our GPS. As we got close, all we could see was gross Jersey industrial blight - warehouses, slag piles, broken down construction trucks, etc. We finally took a left turn and saw a small sign that just said 'golf course'. We drove about a block or two beside a dirty old warehouse and past some grungy looking dockworkers. Then we saw another small 'golf course' sign and took a final right turn. There we saw a gatehouse with a gate and some rock walls between huge walls of dirt covered with tall fescue. After checking with the gate attendant we drove though and down a winding valley of fescue-covered mounds. We made a final turn and there was the beautiful clubhouse on top of a hill with a flagpole and an American flag as big as a football field slowly flapping in the breeze. It was surreal. And awesome. Oh, if I only had the means!

The guy we played with is a member at like 5 or 6 clubs, including Baltusrol and Philly Golf and Cricket... Where did I go wrong? I did kick his ass on the course, though.

Last edited:
Isn't that where they play one of the Fed Ex Cup playoff tournaments? Also have boat access from Manhattan if I'm not mistaken.

Talamore is better than Longleaf. I have no idea how much Legacy costs but it's a decent course.

Isn't that where they play one of the Fed Ex Cup playoff tournaments? Also have boat access from Manhattan if I'm not mistaken.

No, you're thinking of Liberty National in Jersey City. But they are not far apart - maybe 5 miles, less as the crow flies. Liberty national is farther up the river, directly across from the Statue of Liberty... There is also a boat that runs between Manhattan and Bayonne, but I think it is only occasional. There is a heli-pad, of course, for quick access from Wall Street...

Back