• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

"You've got 52 to the front, 65 to the pin, a little wind hurting, green is up a little, green slopes right to left, aim at that distant tower there and hit it 170-175"...

Must be one hell of a wind to knock 100 yards off the ball!

So heard things on the alarming rate at which golf courses are closing across the country, was that discussed here already?

Is champ Bermuda that bad? I had heard good things about it...

Do you like landing wedge shots next to a front pin position and watching them bounce all the way to the back of the green? That's how champ bermuda plays for most golfers. Low handicappers can still stop the ball, but it has to be a perfect shot. They also putt extremely fast.

Personally, I am getting used to them since most courses in NC seem to be making the switch, but I definitely find the game a bit less fun to play on those greens than on bent grass.

My dad recently gave me his old clubs. Should I be looking into replacing the driver? I'll have to check back on the model but it is at least 10 years old. Cobra I think.

So heard things on the alarming rate at which golf courses are closing across the country, was that discussed here already?

Not sure, but courses were way overbuilt in the 90's. Many think that golf participation boomed during the Tiger Woods era, but the numbers just don't back it up. The number of golf fans went way up, but the number of people who started playing the game didn't increase at a rate to support all of the new course construction. The bottom line is that golf is an expensive game to play, takes too long to play, and is hard and we don't need that many golf courses to support the current demand.

My dad recently gave me his old clubs. Should I be looking into replacing the driver? I'll have to check back on the model but it is at least 10 years old. Cobra I think.

Yes. You can buy some 2 year old technology on eBay for less than $100 that will be noticeably longer and easier to hit.

Do you like landing wedge shots next to a front pin position and watching them bounce all the way to the back of the green? That's how champ bermuda plays for most golfers. Low handicappers can still stop the ball, but it has to be a perfect shot. They also putt extremely fast.

Personally, I am getting used to them since most courses in NC seem to be making the switch, but I definitely find the game a bit less fun to play on those greens than on bent grass.

Is that what they're converting Pinehurst #2 to as we speak?

Do they stay hard like that or do they get better as they age in? I like fast putting surfaces but greens that bounce like fairways are no fun...

Must be one hell of a wind to knock 100 yards off the ball!

Not sure if serious... But that is how caddies talk - "52 to the front" means "152 to the front"... Because it is obvious by context when you are standing there...

Sweet. How about in October? At least I hit it really high.

No, you're thinking of Liberty National in Jersey City. But they are not far apart - maybe 5 miles, less as the crow flies. Liberty national is farther up the river, directly across from the Statue of Liberty... There is also a boat that runs between Manhattan and Bayonne, but I think it is only occasional. There is a heli-pad, of course, for quick access from Wall Street...

Both are shitty courses. Bayonne is better.

Sweet. How about in October? At least I hit it really high.

You'll be putting on sand and it will be retarded fast downhill. They will be topdressing them once or twice a week for the near future.

Sounds like fun. At first I was psyched that they moved the tournament up to early October this year since November has been sketchy with the weather - then I saw the schedule of the bermuda replacement. And they're still charging $500 per round... Crazy. Actually the greens on #2 were pretty rough on the front 9 last year and just ok on the back... #4 was pristine. Of course despite that #2 was still the most fun I had playing golf all year.

Just too hot these days to keep bent grass alive and rolling. Kind of a shame, nothing beats perfect bent greens... Played TPC Jasna Polana earlier this year and I could have spent hours just hanging out on their putting greens...

Looks like we're going with Twisted Dune in AC for next weekend. Golf Digest article about it below:

Any trip to AC should include a round at Twisted Dune.

It looks like a links course, feels like a links and even plays like a links. But I'll stop short of calling it a links. There are too many modern features to make you think you've been transported to County Fife, Scotland. Nevertheless, Twisted Dune offers enough gnarly lies, bump-and-run opportunities and sand to satisfy. The par-72, 7,248-yard layout has all the bunkers and waste areas you can handle. You'll be shaking sand out of your shoes for weeks. Wind is the course's other defense, which can be problematic on a long closing nine. Even from the white tees, you'll often find yourself hitting hybrids and woods for second shots. Luckily, you can chase them onto many of the greens because there aren't a lot of forced carries. Oh, and speaking of the greens, take a refresher course on lag putting before coming. They're huge.

I booked a tee time through GolfNow and need to change it. This is very difficult.

Back