• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

There are two groupon/living social deals that I might buy today. One for Stonewall in Germanton, and one for Stone Mountain Golf Club in Traphill. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

Deals are basically carted twosome for $26 bucks at Stonewall and $29 at Stone Mountain plus a hot dog lunch.

stonewall is the goofiest course ever. like tsy said, there is a 50 yard hole that has a huge drop. my wife's first round was out there and she hit the ball to like 6 inches on that hole and tapped in birdie.

you may see if they still have their $20, play all day deals on fridays. my FIL and i once played 45 holes before getting rained out before finishing round 3.

Played Settindown Creek in Roswell, GA on Friday. I've played all of the top Atlanta courses at one time or another and think this is the best track in the area, even over East Lake and the Athletic Club. It's private, but if you ever get a chance, I thoroughly recommend it.

One of my bosses is a member at Ansley and the other is a member at the PDC and Capital City Club - boss man who is a member at the PDC and CCC is always saying how jealous he is that other boss man's home course is Settindown (and that having the 9 hole Midtown course is also a fantastic amenity for Ansley members).

stonewall is the goofiest course ever. like tsy said, there is a 50 yard hole that has a huge drop. my wife's first round was out there and she hit the ball to like 6 inches on that hole and tapped in birdie.

you may see if they still have their $20, play all day deals on fridays. my FIL and i once played 45 holes before getting rained out before finishing round 3.

Thanks. Will do that in a week or two.

Played Stone Mountain Club today. Course was in great shape, and there are some absolutely gorgeous views The course was not at all crowded, and the customer service was excellent.

You can't hit too many drives on it, but there are some nice risk-reward holes out there. I strongly recommend giving this course a try. It took us about an hour to get there from Winston. I really love the Stone Mountain area, and this course borders the State Park (one of my favorites). Great day, they are open all year.

I'm not a serious golfer but I did play Stone Mountain once earlier this year and had a great time. Their winter rates are $15 weekdays, $20 weekends for 18+cart. I went in March and only saw one other group out on the course.

Looking down what I believe used to be the first fairway:
GamLo.jpg

9th Hole:
TR2FJ.jpg

I'm not a serious golfer but I did play Stone Mountain once earlier this year and had a great time. Their winter rates are $15 weekdays, $20 weekends for 18+cart. I went in March and only saw one other group out on the course.

Looking down what I believe used to be the first fairway:
GamLo.jpg

9th Hole:
TR2FJ.jpg

The view looked even better today. It is only 19.50 after 3pm on Sundays. Weekend rates are only like $24, and you can play another 9/18 for an additional $10/$15. That stretch of the Blue Ridge Mountains may be the most beautiful stretch of land on God's Green Earth.

Couple of pics my wife took today on course.

aefc00e3-8760-ae73.jpg

aefc00e3-8797-da35.jpg

aefc00e3-87a9-cfba.jpg

aefc00e3-87bc-f653.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339983743.389654.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339983743.389654.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0
Yeah, I think when we played there it was like $20 a round, but thats been a few years back.

eta, its a great place if you want to use your irons off the tee. Unless you can really power back your driver/3 wood you can easily overdrive the fairways.

I hit the ball 300+ off the tee and I get to use it plenty there. Stonewall is not kept up well though. Every tuesday or thursday it is two for $13 each. It is below average nothing I would seek out even for a deal.

I do believe they still have that.

Isn't it amazing how most internet warriors claim they can hit a ball 300+ off the tee?

Isn't it amazing how most internet warriors claim they can hit a ball 300+ off the tee?

He didn't say which direction the ball goes.

I've hit maybe 3-4 300+ yd drives in all my rounds, but that was with a significant amount of roll on slightly downsloped holes. One was the first tee shot I hit on the course with my latest driver after getting it reshafted. Blew me away. It's all been downhill since then though.

Gotta work on getting more length out of my woods (and hitting them straighter...), considering I can consistently hit my 3H about 230-250 off the tee, and my 4I 210-225. All this being said, I should clarify that I'm not particularly good.

Played Settindown Creek in Roswell, GA on Friday. I've played all of the top Atlanta courses at one time or another and think this is the best track in the area, even over East Lake and the Athletic Club. It's private, but if you ever get a chance, I thoroughly recommend it.

Grew up playing at both Ansley (merged with Settindown back when I was 16 or so) and Athletic Club and I still give AAC's Highlands (PGA course) the nod over Settindown. Even the redesign of Riverside at AAC is right there with Settindown. Riverside's change was amazing after the redesign...went from a generic course to a great track.

Ansley's original midtown 9 is a ton of fun to play and the course superintendent Courtney Young is probably the best in the area. He does amazing work for both those courses and keeps them in amazing shape.

I will say that those are three of the great tracks in Atlanta and if I ever move back there would hope to one day join.

I hit a 315 yard drive on #10 at the Reynolds course at Tanglewood on Saturday. Suck it haterzzz.

The Par 5 on Reynolds Park (I think it's #4) is a great hole to drive it over 300yds

I play in a lot of construction industry golf events/tournaments. One of the most popular things they do at the events is put a surveying crew on one of the holes and have people guess their distance off the tee before they hit their shots. The survey crew in the fairway then measures the tee shots and the person the comes closest to guessing their distance wins.

The first few times people do it they ALWAYS overestimate their distance by about 20-25 yards. One time I was backed up behind a group that had a guy guess that he was going to hit it 295. He took a huge cut at the ball, gave it an "oh yeah" while it was in the air, and then found out that he hit it 241.

This kid weighs no more than 100 pounds, and yet, I believe him.

lol it's literally a 50 foot drop from tee to green, maybe more. That's the only reason I hit it that far. I think it plays 415 from the tips and I was about 5 yards inside the 100 marker.

I would love to know what my drives could be if they didn't have to go around the left edge of the fairway to get back to the first cut on the right. I have almost worked it out from a slice to a fade, but not quite. I can sometimes hit my 3Hy farther than my driver at the range, but that never seems to show up on the course. I am absolutely schizophrenic with my hybrid. I usually hit it much shorter than I expect, unless I plan to hit it short, then it sails the green by about 40 yards.

I play in a lot of construction industry golf events/tournaments. One of the most popular things they do at the events is put a surveying crew on one of the holes and have people guess their distance off the tee before they hit their shots. The survey crew in the fairway then measures the tee shots and the person the comes closest to guessing their distance wins.

The first few times people do it they ALWAYS overestimate their distance by about 20-25 yards. One time I was backed up behind a group that had a guy guess that he was going to hit it 295. He took a huge cut at the ball, gave it an "oh yeah" while it was in the air, and then found out that he hit it 241.

Most people overestimate their carry distance by a good 10-15% with longer clubs.

lol it's literally a 50 foot drop from tee to green, maybe more. That's the only reason I hit it that far. I think it plays 415 from the tips and I was about 5 yards inside the 100 marker.

I bet you did it a few times on #8 at OTC.

playing thistle tomorrow. i love that place.

Anybody ever played Heron Point in Hilton Head? I am going down there for a golf weekend this weekend and we are playing Heron Point, Harbor Town and Palmetto Dunes. I have played HT and PD before, but this will be my first time on Heron Point.

Back