• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

We are currently building a home in the greater Asheville area. Any recommendations for things to include that might not be obvious? Clearly, it's easy to do things at this stage (foundation/waterproofing is complete and framing starts next week)

You putting in a generator?

Also, this one may be kinda random but if you have an attic, any sort of system to assist in lifting objects into the attic...be it mechanical, pulleys, etc...

I've had multiple friends annihilate their backs trying to carry boxes up a ladder into their attic.

The black thing is likely some version of a float that’s supposed to go down with the water level when you flush the toilet. The float is attached to the fill valve and when it goes down it opens the fill valve to fill the tank until the float rises and shuts off the fill valve.

If you can’t see an obvious and fixable reason why the float isn’t automatically dropping with the tank water level then you probably need to replace the whole fill valve, which generally includes a new float.

To follow up, the whole fill assembly is generally available in hardware stores. Fluidmaster is probably the leading brand. $10-$15. Its an easy thing to install yourself. Newer models don't even require any tools to install. Dont forget to turn off the water and flush well, then remove any remaining water from the toilet tank (upper part of the toilet) before you start. Any water remaining in the tank will automatically end up on you when you do the removal. I use my wet vac to empty completely. Rags and (old) towels do the job also.

Also, this one may be kinda random but if you have an attic, any sort of system to assist in lifting objects into the attic...be it mechanical, pulleys, etc...

I've had multiple friends annihilate their backs trying to carry boxes up a ladder into their attic.

Yes, going to spring for the whole house generator. Since we'll be on a well, really need to have power. It's not terribly expensive to have put in upfront.

Good thought on attic stuff. I'm not sure our exact attic situation. Will have dehumidified and encapsulated crawl space for a lot of stuff. And storage on the sides of the bonus room over the garage.

I was told by some Olds to include an elevator in my house. Looking back, I totally should have added one.

IMG_1797.jpgIMG_1796.jpg

Ok, i have a little project to take care of but not sure what to use. i had a new countertop added in my kitchen, but they made a bad cut (and therefore i got for 1/3 price). So i need to figure out how to fill this gap. i am sort of at loss of what to use and have been trying to figure something out. it's approximately 1" x 3" space...i am thinking whatever i use must have the ability to be painted, or whatever, to try to match the color of the countertop.

any information would be appreciated!

My first choice would be a small piece of whatever your countertop is made of. Your installer/fabricator should have a big enough scrap from tje sink cut out, at least. Get one with a square corner to fit the square corner in the gap. Shape to fit the wall area. Put a support block underneath, glue to big countertop, attach to wall, fill remaining gaps with white silicon. Or other stuff recommended by manufacturer.

You may need to put as much effort shaping the support block as the actual show surface.

What is your countertop? Looks like solid surface "Corian" type stuff. If so, that's a lot easier to shape than quartz, granite or marble.

it's quartz, and my relationship with the installer did not end in a good place (i wanted a new piece cut, they did not want to take the loss). this is why i got it for 1/3 price.

therefore i am not sure where i can get a piece to fill in...

i have been trying to figure out something but it is not easy to search online (surprisingly)

Work up the food chain. Most manufacturers don't want a bad install giving their product a bad reputation. They should want to know that one of their installers did a bad job and wouldn't make it right.

Most installers do the measurements, etc. then have the pieces cut by a regional wholesale fabricator. I would check with the product manufacturer, find the regional fabrication shops. You may be able to get a big enough scrap piece there.

Also look at consumer protection agencies in your area. That is unprofessional work. It will impact resale value of your house.

Which manufacturer's product do you have? One of the big boys - Ceaserstone, Silestone, Cambria, etc, or some smaller manufacturer?

Our all-tile shower probably needs re-grouting or replacement tile.

Anyone have a person or company in the Triad area you recommend?

Not going to try doing this myself, probably.

Our all-tile shower probably needs re-grouting or replacement tile.

Anyone have a person or company in the Triad area you recommend?

Not going to try doing this myself, probably.

Retiling and regrouting are on two different levels. Do you know why you need either to be done? Is the grout just dirty? Falling out/missing? A lot or a little?

Are tiles coming loose? If so, definitely get a pro to evaluate why. Could be deteriorated backer board.

Filling in a few spots of missing grout isn't hard. Matching grout colors is harder. All "whites" are not the same, for instance.

What issues do you actually have?

Thx

No loose tiles.

But grout has deteriorated and there’s now water leaking…a little…I think through the door threshold. I’ve fill all the gaps with caulking in the past and am about to do that again but I suspect the original tiling job wasn’t done correctly. We had a tile guy years ago put down some tile flooring elsewhere in the house and he looked at the shower and said it wasn’t done right but I can’t remember what he criticized exactly. I think wrong kind of tile, improper grouting…?

Anyhow I’m going to caulk to hopefully stop the leaking but think it’s time for a redo…at least new grout but maybe tile. I’m interested in a professional opinion but I called our former tile guy and he‘s moved to the beach and didn’t have a recommendation for someone else.

I found this place online…looks OK? But seems it’s a newer business/franchise although the operator seems experienced.

We have some neighbors who‘ve done some bathroom remodeling so will probably ask them. But I think they used general contractor and I don’t think I’ll need that, hopefully. Just a tile person.

I found this place online…looks OK? But seems it’s a newer business/franchise although the operator seems experienced.

We have some neighbors who‘ve done some bathroom remodeling so will probably ask them. But I think they used general contractor and I don’t think I’ll need that, hopefully. Just a tile person.

Sounds like you need more than grout cleaning and repair. Many GC's use a tile guy subcontractor. Or at least, usually have one or a few they work with and/or recommend.

slightly related question, but is it worthwhile to get a home equity loan now? Has anyone done it within the last 6 months or so? we refinanced when rates were really low, and am kicking myself for not getting one when we had the house inspected and the home prices were inflated. looks like they can just do an exterior inspection, but still need to fork over some bucks for this.

I assume it depends on what it's for? We looked recently and it didn't make any sense, rates pretty much sucked and most one-off large purchases had their own financing options with far better value.

how much is reasonable to pay for some basic garage shelving? We have some 2x4s with plywood already installed and I just need more of those, but my estimate was for $4900, which seems steep.

That sounds like a busy contractor who doesn’t have time to do it but will make time at that rate.

Hate to say it but can you just look at the existing shelving and do exactly what they did?

Back