• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

how much is reasonable to pay for some basic garage shelving? We have some 2x4s with plywood already installed and I just need more of those, but my estimate was for $4900, which seems steep.

We just had this done in our attic and I want to say the quote was $1,800 but that included adding additional plywood as flooring up there.

The shelves look terrible but my wife was in charge of that project and she told them she didn’t care how it looked as long as they were functional.

how much is reasonable to pay for some basic garage shelving? We have some 2x4s with plywood already installed and I just need more of those, but my estimate was for $4900, which seems steep.
Yeah putting shelves in is pretty simple, man. I will come put your shelves in for a lot less than that.

That sounds like a busy contractor who doesn’t have time to do it but will make time at that rate.

Hate to say it but can you just look at the existing shelving and do exactly what they did?
i think you guys overestimate my handyman skills. i can install shelving acquired in kits but these need to be able to hold some heavy stuff like sterilites with christmas decorations, etc.

My neighbor bought shelves for his garage and hung them in the drywall instead of finding studs.

Lasted a few months, but when they came down it destroyed a lot of stuff.

We're pretty similar in that we aren't overly handy, but love to try to do stuff. Except I follow instructions to the letter and he just tries to figure it out on his own.

I think you can do your own shelves for a lot less... And it will not be difficult.

did he at least try to use anchors?

I live in an old home with plaster on lath walls and I'm bad at setting anchors for hanging heavy things

did he at least try to use anchors?

I live in an old home with plaster on lath walls and I'm bad at setting anchors for hanging heavy things
Yeah.

He knew he did a shitty job, but he just didn't think drilling into the studs was necessary.

Yeah.

He knew he did a shitty job, but he just didn't think drilling into the studs was necessary.
Is this the same neighbor that pretends he has a disabled kid so he can pass everyone at Disney?

That sounds like a busy contractor who doesn’t have time to do it but will make time at that rate.

Hate to say it but can you just look at the existing shelving and do exactly what they did?

I would second 06's thoughts. For that price you should have shelves that put stuff away for you. For $4900 I'd consider coming to you, building those shelves and laugh all the way to the bank.

Most stores that sell lumber will cut plywood sheets to size for you. What size and how many shelves do you ask for? Even heavy duty shelves are around $100 - $300 for a kit that produces 72 x 77 x 24 inch shelving.

My neighbor bought shelves for his garage and hung them in the drywall instead of finding studs.

Lasted a few months, but when they came down it destroyed a lot of stuff.

We're pretty similar in that we aren't overly handy, but love to try to do stuff. Except I follow instructions to the letter and he just tries to figure it out on his own.

I think you can do your own shelves for a lot less... And it will not be difficult.
Your neighbor an NC State engineering grad?

I would second 06's thoughts. For that price you should have shelves that put stuff away for you. For $4900 I'd consider coming to you, building those shelves and laugh all the way to the bank.

Most stores that sell lumber will cut plywood sheets to size for you. What size and how many shelves do you ask for? Even heavy duty shelves are around $100 - $300 for a kit that produces 72 x 77 x 24 inch shelving.

This is what I have - just need more of the same - 3-4 of these.

Attachments

• 95E1FA32-28D5-4997-B7DF-2E4CFD4B2CA6.jpeg
    95E1FA32-28D5-4997-B7DF-2E4CFD4B2CA6.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 30
Does it have to be wall mounted? I use these and they are great - cheap, durable, and they can hold heavy loads:

1675720558669.jpeg

This is what I have - just need more of the same - 3-4 of these.
That pic makes it look like that size would be a little small to hold Sterilite bins. How big are they? How much space do you have for the new shelves?

Yes, i'm trying to keep them off the ground to maximize parking room.

What I sent is one corner of a standard two car garage. We have room for probably 3 more of those shelves, maybe 4. And good point on the size - probably better if they are just one interior shelf, plus the top. The way the current ones are configured there's not room for sterilites.

Yes, i'm trying to keep them off the ground to maximize parking room.

What I sent is one corner of a standard two car garage. We have room for probably 3 more of those shelves, maybe 4. And good point on the size - probably better if they are just one interior shelf, plus the top. The way the current ones are configured there's not room for sterilites.

If that's the case, is overhead storage an option? I have "SafeRacks" mounted in my garage and they work really well for us.

yeah, the guy quoted on that as well - another $2100 for that.

you have convinced me that i need a new quote. I'll let you know what my next guy says.

Back