• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Home Improvement/DIY thread

Yeah no, definitely copper. The shutoff seems to work fine if I really crank on it to close it. So at least I might not have to replace that.

I have seen cutoff valves with faucet washers in them. The washer goes bad and has to be replaced and/or you're grinding metal to metal to close. In that case, it's just like replacing any other faucet washer, just need to turn off all the water in the house.

I would try Liquid Wrench on the stubborn screw. Also, sometimes cheating and using vise grips may work.

As a last resort, you can use the torch to sweat the old valve off and sweat/solder a new one in its place. Alternate solution. Make sure you have the outside valve open when you apply heat. If there is any water, it will turn to steam, and the steam needs a place to go. Otherwise, could be bad. Steam will build up inside the pipe and could create enough pressure to rupture it.

Anybody got any advice on new garage doors and who to use? Overhead Door, Sears, Lowes?

Places like Sears and Lowes contract out stuff like garage doors, so you are getting whoever they have as their contractor. And you may not know who that contractor is until they show up to do the work. No opportunity to vet them.

Overhead Door at least has a business of doing garage door and garage door opener installations. I believe they are a franchise operation, so the quality of your local franchisee will play a part in how good they are. However, you can do your homework with them. Check BBB etc. I've worked with Overhead Door in two different locations and they were good both places.

I have seen cutoff valves with faucet washers in them. The washer goes bad and has to be replaced and/or you're grinding metal to metal to close. In that case, it's just like replacing any other faucet washer, just need to turn off all the water in the house.

I would try Liquid Wrench on the stubborn screw. Also, sometimes cheating and using vise grips may work.

As a last resort, you can use the torch to sweat the old valve off and sweat/solder a new one in its place. Alternate solution. Make sure you have the outside valve open when you apply heat. If there is any water, it will turn to steam, and the steam needs a place to go. Otherwise, could be bad. Steam will build up inside the pipe and could create enough pressure to rupture it.

Thanks for the advice. FWIW, I cranked off the shutoff by hand a little harder and now it isn't leaking. That still isn't great, I'd rather it just seal nice and easily, but maybe it would be a job to do when we someday replace the cabinets, and not out of necessity. The outside spigot I still haven't gotten around to, parents in town and all that. Luckily I don't really need to use it too often.

I can't find the water shutoff in our townhouse. Not by the water heater or under the kitchen sink.

I can't find the water shutoff in our townhouse. Not by the water heater or under the kitchen sink.

do you have a pantry? that's where my parents' is.
if your bathrooms are all kind of centrally located, it may be in a closet or some other hidden-isa space that's also towards the center of the house... or if you share a wall with neighbors, it's possible plumbing would have been run through that wall. if there's some weird cabinet or closet area along that wall, it might be in there.

are you sure those aren't bathroom-specific? most bathrooms have shutoffs for the sinks/toilet.

+1

Somewhere in your house, or possibly, but not likely, just outside your house is a valve that turns off all the water in the house. If you are renting, contact your landlord/property manager.

Note for all: If you own a house, townhouse, condominium, this (location of the water shut off valve) is a vital piece of information that should be gotten from the previous owner at time of purchase.

are you sure those aren't bathroom-specific? most bathrooms have shutoffs for the sinks/toilet.

Yes. It was labeled shut off for hose bib. I also turned on one and the back faucet worked but not the front and then turned on the second and the front faucet worked.

The main shutoff for everything is in the garage.

Does anyone here have experience with a "purchase and renovate" style loan? I don't have any specific questions at this point; just curious to hear about the process / your experience.

Yes. It was labeled shut off for hose bib. I also turned on one and the back faucet worked but not the front and then turned on the second and the front faucet worked.

The main shutoff for everything is in the garage.

Glad you found it. Knowing where it is, and making sure that it works can save a lot of grief if something bad is leaking and you don't have another way to stop it. I shut mine off once or twice a year so I know it works. Mine sometimes drips when it is closed, and I'd rather deal with that when it is convenient for me, not when I need to cut off the water for some other reason.

Make sure everyone who lives there who could operate the valve knows where it is. And mark it well.

Does anyone here have experience with a "purchase and renovate" style loan? I don't have any specific questions at this point; just curious to hear about the process / your experience.

not sure if you're going VA loan, but if you are they have a LOT of rules about this.

not sure if you're going VA loan, but if you are they have a LOT of rules about this.

I'm not that far along in the process; just trying to get some info / first hand experiences at this point.

ETA: Used a conventional VA loan to buy our last home in Charleston. We used a mortgage broker who, as I recall, made the process fairly painless for us.

Last edited:
Best place to buy hardwood flooring? I need ash 3 1/4"

giphy.gif

Best place to buy hardwood flooring? I need ash 3 1/4"

We used: http://www.hoskinghardwood.com/

I wanted a specific brand and product. They had it at a good price. We got a sample and once we were satisfied the rest was easy. My builder seemed happy with them and their communication. I'm about 6 months into the new house and really like the product.

Back