• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

I agree with wfudkn. Your commission is based on actual numbers and the investor deck is rounded. End of story. If you do try to discuss this with the CEO, make sure you do not come across as whiny or incompetent.

Same here; I'd think it's just rounding for the investor presentation. Did the investor presentation actually go out two decimal points (20.00%)? And as timthedeac recommended, I'd check prior presentations as well.

Anyone have any opportunities in the CLT area? Pretty high chance I get got w/ restructuring layoffs in the next few weeks. Thanks

ok, promotion and raise are official here, retro'd back to 7/14.

I also just got word that I'm a finalist for the other gig, which would now technically be a lateral move. I'm still going to go through the interview process, but am not sure what negotiations could be made based on the current situation. I think there's a possibility they could do another 5% pay bump (on top of the 5% i JUST got), but otherwise... ?
Regardless, next moves are do the interview and see what comes of it, then I guess figure out what to do if the option comes up.

So, all of this is happening now. Got the other job offer, using it to negotiate another bump on top of what I just got (really I'm just asking that current folks match the offer I got).
Thankfully the City isn't a spiteful place where I'll be seen as burning bridges for not taking the other gig... but glad for the exposure of the recruitment process.

It's been a crazy week.

So, all of this is happening now. Got the other job offer, using it to negotiate another bump on top of what I just got (really I'm just asking that current folks match the offer I got).
Thankfully the City isn't a spiteful place where I'll be seen as burning bridges for not taking the other gig... but glad for the exposure of the recruitment process.

It's been a crazy week.

Are you still going to have do the work of three people?

Are you still going to have do the work of three people?

based on current vacancies there are still some tasks that I'll have to do here, but I've got the plan for how we're going to address that in writing.

basically, i am staying here knowing it's going to suck for a couple months... but I am trusting the long-term plan and opportunities I see, because ultimately they seem more exciting than the prospects at the other bureau.
plus, our bureau culture as a whole is a lot more conducive to my personality/working style, and that matters to me a lot for general job satisfaction.

It's been a crazy week.

Congrats on getting the current position to match what you would have gotten with the move. Its not easy to make that happen. Glad to hear you got to stay where you feel you fit and got the salary bump.

I interviewed for a job yesterday. Came out of it feeling like it was a good fit for me, but without a sense of if they liked me.

What are the best tips for post interview follow-ups? hand written thank-you note? Short and simple email?

I interviewed for a job yesterday. Came out of it feeling like it was a good fit for me, but without a sense of if they liked me.

What are the best tips for post interview follow-ups? hand written thank-you note? Short and simple email?

I always do email to anyone that was part of the process

Thanks, any specific recommendations for the email other than generic "thanks for the opportunity"?

Thanks, any specific recommendations for the email other than generic "thanks for the opportunity"?
Use the email as an opportunity to further elaborate on why you'd be a strong fit. Maybe something you noticed the hiring manager was looking for during your interview? Or something that didn't come up but you feel strengthens your case.

Don't push it too hard but worth at least including.

Email over handwritten. Decisions are often made before they'd even receive your snail mail.

Yeah for my current job I sent an email TY a few hours after my Skype interview and got a reply later that day asking me to come for an in-person interview.

another voice for email.
this is more or less my template for those:

Dear ____,

Thank you for the opportunity on Monday to interview for the available ___ position at [x]. I appreciate your consideration and enjoyed speaking to you, [other interviewers]. After our conversation, I am that much more confident in my ability to perform well in your group. My experience and familiarity with [necessary skills/abilities] provides a solid foundation for this role, and my interest in growing my understanding of [new work or task] suits me for the work involved.

I especially appreciate that [x] is [something the company is doing that ties to your personal goals/interests). Being able to affect [this process] by providing meaningful analyses is what I find most interesting about [this kind of] work, and it is exciting to know I would be part of a group that does just that. I like that you specifically mentioned [something they specifically mentioned about the work that you also enjoy - this follows up to a question I ask in the interview, "what do you most enjoy about working for XXX").

Thank you again for your consideration, and I and look forward to hearing from you all soon regarding this position. Please feel free to contact me at any time if further information is needed, either by phone or by email.

Sincerely,

...some might argue this is too lengthy; I disagree and think it's important to sound as personable and well-suited for the job as possible, using whatever information you learned in the interview that makes you feel like you're the best for the job.

another voice for email.
this is more or less my template for those:

Dear ____,

Thank you for the opportunity on Monday to interview for the available ___ position at [x]. I appreciate your consideration and enjoyed speaking to you, [other interviewers]. After our conversation, I am that much more confident in my ability to perform well in your group. My experience and familiarity with [necessary skills/abilities] provides a solid foundation for this role, and my interest in growing my understanding of [new work or task] suits me for the work involved.

I especially appreciate that [x] is [something the company is doing that ties to your personal goals/interests). Being able to affect [this process] by providing meaningful analyses is what I find most interesting about [this kind of] work, and it is exciting to know I would be part of a group that does just that. I like that you specifically mentioned [something they specifically mentioned about the work that you also enjoy - this follows up to a question I ask in the interview, "what do you most enjoy about working for XXX").

Thank you again for your consideration, and I and look forward to hearing from you all soon regarding this position. Please feel free to contact me at any time if further information is needed, either by phone or by email.

Sincerely,

...some might argue this is too lengthy; I disagree and think it's important to sound as personable and well-suited for the job as possible, using whatever information you learned in the interview that makes you feel like you're the best for the job.

Would you alter significantly if it was a role within your current organization? Also if you were courting other suitors so to speak?

Would you alter significantly if it was a role within your current organization? Also if you were courting other suitors so to speak?

So, this is basically the note I just wrote for a job still within the City (so, current organization) but in another bureau. I would liken that to applying to an outside source of employment.
When I last applied for a promotional opportunity within my own workgroup (three years ago), I used basically this same template but the second paragraph was a little more tailored to speak to the specific experiences and knowledge I had that would allow me to successfully jump right into the role and continue to grow in the position using the knowledge and relationships I'd already built.
I still kept it pretty formal, though, and did not write it with any kind of built-in assumptions that they definitely knew my capabilities.

If I were courting multiple suitors, I dunno if I would change it at all. Those individual places don't know you're applying multiple places (they could assume, I suppose), but if you're legitimately interested in the job and would consider it if offered, I think it's totally fair to write something like this. I wouldn't sound less eager/excited about the position if I was applying multiple places, if that's what you're asking.

Follow-up emails are a must - the body of the email is whatever, as long as there are no mispellings or typos, you are fine. Maybe an HR person will look at the quality and quantity of the email itself, I look for (a) if they emailed (b) if they sound coherent in email (c) not too long that it bores me. No one is going to hire you because of something you put in a follow-up letter that convinced them of something they were worried about (unless their biggest concern was that you can't write professional emails or something).

Follow-up emails are a must - the body of the email is whatever, as long as there are no mispellings or typos, you are fine. Maybe an HR person will look at the quality and quantity of the email itself, I look for (a) if they emailed (b) if they sound coherent in email (c) not too long that it bores me. No one is going to hire you because of something you put in a follow-up letter that convinced them of something they were worried about (unless their biggest concern was that you can't write professional emails or something).

I've definitely seen folks go to #2 on the list because of a very poorly-written follow-up.

95% off the time I was hiring, we'd already sent our recommendation to hire on to hr by the time we got an email. I have never had it be an effective way for me to evaluate candidates because of state timelines, but I always send one. Usually it's a generic, thanks, good to meet you.

Back