• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Haha.

But seriously, North Tampa is much much less expensive than Miami Gardens. A 5/4 in Tampa gets you a 3/2 in Miami Gardens.

I don't think anyone of my peers actually lives in Miami Gardens. They suggested Weston, Miramar, or lauderdale.

I'll be honest I wish rhe govt job was close enough that it at least made the decision. Tougher

None of those places have cost of living comparable to Tampa or St. Pete. Miami Gardens is probably less expensive.

We were looking at jobs in Miami at one point and everything was out of our range for anything more than a 3/2 except some neighborhoods outside of Ft. Lauderdale.

Yeah. I think I'm seeing that on zillow. But there is no way to compute from fort Myers every day. So relo it is

ok, promotion and raise are official here, retro'd back to 7/14.

I also just got word that I'm a finalist for the other gig, which would now technically be a lateral move. I'm still going to go through the interview process, but am not sure what negotiations could be made based on the current situation. I think there's a possibility they could do another 5% pay bump (on top of the 5% i JUST got), but otherwise... ?
Regardless, next moves are do the interview and see what comes of it, then I guess figure out what to do if the option comes up.

I escaped my nightmare of a job I took 3 months ago. Basically, it was the worst leadership I have ever worked under, which if saying a lot considering I once worked for a business that went bankrupt and out of business due to leadership decisions. Got back into government work. Interviewed for the current position, was told I didn't get it and two weeks later was offered the job when person that had accepted backed out of it.

I escaped my nightmare of a job I took 3 months ago. Basically, it was the worst leadership I have ever worked under, which if saying a lot considering I once worked for a business that went bankrupt and out of business due to leadership decisions. Got back into government work. Interviewed for the current position, was told I didn't get it and two weeks later was offered the job when person that had accepted backed out of it.

Congrats on both - getting out of a bad situation and getting a new job.

Really enjoy working for my current employer but want some guidance on how to handle a situation that arose today. Long story short, I'm in charge of the team that facilitates paying conversions for clients that trial our software. I report my own numbers and get quarterly commissions. This month we fell on 19.96% (that's very high) and that's the exact number I turned in, I'm an honest man. I could have easily reduced the total trial number by just 2 (out of 5000+) and placed myself into 20.00%, but chose to keep the numbers true. My boss informed me today that I would be receiving my bonus which falls into the 18%-20% range. The money would double if it were in the 20%-22% range. While fair, and what I technically earned, I received our investor deck today which we will be presenting to all investors and company employees this Wednesday and we are reporting 20.00% conversion percentage for Q2. Do I approach my boss (the CEO) and call him out on this? I'm leaning yes. If so, do I wait until after Wednesday and schedule the meeting or before?

Does he get a fatty check for calling it 20%?

Investor decks often round information for ease of explanation/presentation. Sucks that you were so close there, but I don't think that the fact that the investor deck uses a rounded figure means that the figure used to determine commission payout should be rounded as well.

I'd definitely approach him on it but try not to come across as calling him out. "I noticed the company is reporting 20% to our investors. In my personal numbers, I reported 19.96% because I haven't previously rounded in these reports. Can we consider aligning the way I report the numbers for bonus purposes with the way the company reports the numbers? If the company hits 20% vis-à-vis our investors, it seems right that I should earn a bonus for also hitting 20%" That's polite enough that the worst they could say is no.

Look at a prior investor presentation. Have they rounded down a 19.23% to 19% for simplicity previously?

Last edited:
I'd definitely approach him on it but try not to come across as calling him out. "I noticed the company is reporting 20% to our investors. In my personal numbers, I reported 19.96% because I haven't previously rounded in these reports. Can we consider aligning the way I report the numbers for bonus purposes with the way the company reports the numbers? If the company hits 20% vis-à-vis our investors, it seems right that I should earn a bonus for also hitting 20%"

this. phrase it in a way that's more questioning what YOU are doing, rather than coming across as questioning what he's doing.

I'm with those who would say to approach him, with the tactic of "help me understand policy and practice on reporting numbers." "Should I be rounding to the nearest whole number?" (not unreasonable, given the way the scale is structured).

I agree with wfudkn. Your commission is based on actual numbers and the investor deck is rounded. End of story. If you do try to discuss this with the CEO, make sure you do not come across as whiny or incompetent.

ok, promotion and raise are official here, retro'd back to 7/14.

I also just got word that I'm a finalist for the other gig, which would now technically be a lateral move. I'm still going to go through the interview process, but am not sure what negotiations could be made based on the current situation. I think there's a possibility they could do another 5% pay bump (on top of the 5% i JUST got), but otherwise... ?
Regardless, next moves are do the interview and see what comes of it, then I guess figure out what to do if the option comes up.

Congrats leebs!

Got a new gig myself. I loved my last company but hated what I was doing so have been looking for something else for a few months. Last week I received an offer and have accepted the job. It's a little scary because I'm basically making a third of what I was making before, but the earnings potential is there once I build up the business (it's a sales job). Regardless, it gets me out of IT and into sports, which I am very excited about!

Last edited:
Congrats leebs!

Got a new gig myself. I loved my last company but hated what I was doing so have been looking for something else for a few months. Last week I received an offer and have accepted the job. It's a little scary because I'm basically making a third of what I was making before, but the earnings potential is there once I build up the business (it's a sales job). Either way, it gets me out of IT and into sports, which I am very excited about!

Congrats on the new job! Good luck building up your customer base.

Congrats leebs!

Got a new gig myself. I loved my last company but hated what I was doing so have been looking for something else for a few months. Last week I received an offer and have accepted the job. It's a little scary because I'm basically making a third of what I was making before, but the earnings potential is there once I build up the business (it's a sales job). Regardless, it gets me out of IT and into sports, which I am very excited about!

thanks, and congrats to you as well!

My wife is looking for a job in DC in marketing, preferably in-house and direct to consumer if anyone knows of anything mid-level.

Back