• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Anyone have any suggestions/experience with severance requests? I was recently laid off out of the blue - sales team has been tanking since Jan 1 and the company's owners panicked and started cutting non-revenue staff. They're a PE firm, so their policy is they don't offer severance, but after doing some digging, it seems there are success stories elsewhere of people at least getting something in the way of severance via a formal request.

Anyone have any suggestions/experience with severance requests? I was recently laid off out of the blue - sales team has been tanking since Jan 1 and the company's owners panicked and started cutting non-revenue staff. They're a PE firm, so their policy is they don't offer severance, but after doing some digging, it seems there are success stories elsewhere of people at least getting something in the way of severance via a formal request.

What would a month's pay for every year worked look like?

What would a month's pay for every year worked look like?

That seems to be the universal standard. I'm just wondering how to go about writing a formal letter (or making some other kind of formal request).

I would write a formal business letter addressed to the person in your company who can authorize such things. Ask for what you want, one month pay for each year of work and arrive at a $$ amount. Then state your reasons, value to company in past etc.

Are you looking for specific help with wording?

So I started looking but not soon enough.

If any Pit people have leads on HR/Comp/Ben roles Florida, Georgia, Carolina's, to VA. Feel free to PM me.

So I have a bunch of finance jobs open ranging from 0 to 5 years experience needed. It's with a $2B e retailer. Only problem is you would need to move to Minnesota. Let me know if anyone is interested.

I have been in government/crime lab for 15 years but I am definitely more of a people person than a lab rat. Anyways, I just had my second of 3 potential interviews for a sales position for one of our consumables suppliers. The first was an informal interview with the hiring manager to see if I was a fit personality-wise. It went great. Yesterday I had an hour long video conference call with two other mid level managers (different departments). My understanding was that this phase is usually still fairly informal and that the next phase, a trip to corporate headquarters in CA, is the real technical set of interviews. Well, yesterday's questions were a little more technical sales questions than I anticipated (rightfully so with my lack of experience) but I was fairly prepared. My expertise is that I have 15 years practical experience using theirs and their competitor's products, knowing the good and bad of both.

Question: Should I send a 30-60-90 day action plan in my thank you note? They didn't ask for it but it could reinforce that I am serious about sales. However, it may also suck and tank me. Thoughts?

Not necessary a young'un, but I have learned this the hard way. Started a new job eight weeks ago. Was supposed to be public relations and marketing for a non-profit. Two weeks into the job, I was informed the position was now focused on fundraising, with the marketing and public relations added on. Was told I am responsible for raising $1 million this year. Did I mention I am not a fundraiser.

So, eight weeks into a new job and I am once again searching for a new job. But now I get to explain why I am leaving a job after such a short time.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? Basically planning on saying after starting, the job responsibilities changed and my strengths and background weren't what the company needed, nor was it what I was seeking in the role.

My only recommendation for you young'uns is this: the grass is not always greener, and sometimes it's completely dead. So if you're not 110% sure about a new opportunity, don't do it.

Trust me on this.

OK, now I feel better.

If you didn't know this, I know coach students on getting a job daily.

This week our neighbor and close friend gave me his resumes. He was a professional athlete. He has never applied for a job or write a cover letter. OMG I have my work cut out for me.

We love him and his wife but wow. There is a lot to be said to being a pro athlete that has never applied to a job.

Last edited:
If anybody knows of any administrative, coordinator, entry level h.r. type positions in the Winston/Greensboro area I am currently looking. My preference is a counseling/therapy/public assistance type position, but I'm kinda desperate right now.

I'm hiring for a senior level SaaS sales person in Chicago - if anyone fits that, let me know.

So I started looking but not soon enough.

If any Pit people have leads on HR/Comp/Ben roles Florida, Georgia, Carolina's, to VA. Feel free to PM me.

Good luck. Same thing happened to me. I'd started looking, but only because my new job blew and I was miserable. Then POOF! Job eliminated.

Usually I have to partner with my fellow hr types to enure execs don't screw anyone over.

But I can say this HR group feeds on its own.

I have my first live interview Monday. Seems like a good company, but too far to commute.

Phone screen with USF went well and they said they wanted me to come in but won't schedule live interviews until July.

Have too local jobs I've applied too. Got the notice I'm under review but no contact.

I hate interviewing.

If anybody knows of any administrative, coordinator, entry level h.r. type positions in the Winston/Greensboro area I am currently looking. My preference is a counseling/therapy/public assistance type position, but I'm kinda desperate right now.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for (and pay is probably pretty bad), but church world service is looking for an employment coordinator right now. It would be working to find refugees jobs in Greensboro.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for (and pay is probably pretty bad), but church world service is looking for an employment coordinator right now. It would be working to find refugees jobs in Greensboro.
Thanks for the info. Sent you a pm

Working on my resume. Thoughts on putting presentations at industry conferences on resume? Saw a resume recently that had presentations at the top, above education and experience.

I think it's generally appropriate to include them on a resume. Personally, I'd place them after education and experience. Order matters, and order = importance.

Back