• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

I received word that a marijuana venture capital firm wants to bring me on in June. This is my first position where the salary/compensation will be negotiable. I know this is a broad throw-out, but does anyone have any experience negotiating position compensation at a venture capital/consultation firm or any position within the marijuana industry? I will be doing all of its writing from SOPs and legal to copy and marketing.

do they pay you in cash?

Our next conversation is where all that is supposed to occur. This is totally foreign territory to me in terms of negotiation. I believe the pay will be in cash, so I will have to do quarterly IRS filing.

I had an interview last week. The last three jobs I've interviewed for I knew that day I got the job.

This waiting part sucks.

Our next conversation is where all that is supposed to occur. This is totally foreign territory to me in terms of negotiation. I believe the pay will be in cash, so I will have to do quarterly IRS filing.

Just so you know, you'll have difficulty getting a mortgage based solely on income from a MJ business, if that's part of your future plans.

Just so you know, you'll have difficulty getting a mortgage based solely on income from a MJ business, if that's part of your future plans.

House is purchased, but I had heard that since it is difficult to establish income.

Accepted the job with the non-profit from my earlier post. Got base salary in the high end of my range plus a pair of semi-annual bonuses, that if met, will give me a 46 percent increase over current pay. Hoping that health insurance will be added next year, but luckily can go on wife's now and it isn't that much to add me.

My only recommendation for you young'uns is this: the grass is not always greener, and sometimes it's completely dead. So if you're not 110% sure about a new opportunity, don't do it.

Trust me on this.

OK, now I feel better.

Anyone have experience negotiating ESOP in an S Corporation setting? Any recommendations for front end negotiation, a la anything you wished you had laid out specifically in writing or otherwise when you signed onto a corp that offered this option?

Last edited:
Sorry about that.

In a way I'm relieved as well because the new gig while more coin, it would have involved alot more travel.

I also got a no go. Actually kind of a relief.

Are you actively looking or have you been getting the headhunter calls looking for lateral mid to senior level associates since there are at a premium after the '08-11ish classes?

Are you actively looking or have you been getting the headhunter calls looking for lateral mid to senior level associates since there are at a premium after the '08-11ish classes?

I wasn't actively looking but got a call from a headhunter for a position that I explored and mentioned it to my dad who had a friend at a firm ask if I would be interested. Didnt work out with that firm.

It would have been a lot closer to family but I'm not sure it was the right opportunity.

Now I'm more open to the idea of a move and listening when the headhunters call (which is often).

Last edited:
Definitely no harm in listening (as long as your wife is open to a move :cool:)

My only recommendation for you young'uns is this: the grass is not always greener, and sometimes it's completely dead. So if you're not 110% sure about a new opportunity, don't do it.

Trust me on this.

OK, now I feel better.

Got an email from an old friend yesterday. He left a tenure track professor job 2 years ago. He wanted to go back to the northeast and focus on teaching. He took a job at a community college, but for higher pay. Once he got there, the chair who brought him in stabbed him in the back and didn't renew his contract so he's back on the market with no job at all.

My wife and I got job offers this Fall. Neither of us were completely sold on it but she has a personal connection to the university that I don't have. She got more into as the decision deadline got closer. After negotiations and such, taking the job would have been a small pay bump. I didn't budge. It wasn't a great improvement and it would have only been for sentimental reasons.

Got an email from an old friend yesterday. He left a tenure track professor job 2 years ago. He wanted to go back to the northeast and focus on teaching. He took a job at a community college, but for higher pay. Once he got there, the chair who brought him in stabbed him in the back and didn't renew his contract so he's back on the market with no job at all.

My wife and I got job offers this Fall. Neither of us were completely sold on it but she has a personal connection to the university that I don't have. She got more into as the decision deadline got closer. After negotiations and such, taking the job would have been a small pay bump. I didn't budge. It wasn't a great improvement and it would have only been for sentimental reasons.

My advice to anyone would be that if there is even a shred of doubt or indecision, don't make the move. Smart choice, Ph.

My advice to anyone would be that if there is even a shred of doubt or indecision, don't make the move. Smart choice, Ph.
I know you've mentioned this a few times but I personally think this is horrible advice, especially to 'young'uns' as you highlighted earlier.

Way too often people stay in a job because it's comfortable and a fear of the unknown. That safe route may be fine for some but a lot of experiences are missed by staying at one job because it's comfortable. There are significant benefits (beyond just financially) for moving jobs.

- Easiest way to increase salary (and often title/level)
- Learn a lot more when working in a new role/company (soft and hard skills)
- Success at multiple companies increases desirability on the job market, also can prevent being locked into one type of work / industry
- Increasing social / professional network
- Especially when young, possibly get the chance to live in another city

And as long as you leave your company on good terms, very likely you can boomerang, likely at a higher level and higher salary.

Back