• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

A good friend of mine is in grad school with a person who works in HR at the company (not recruiting or hiring though, in the benefits side). My friend recommended me to HR person for the position a couple weeks ago, and I learned that the job was basically already going to an internal candidate but they had to post it. I'll reach out to my friend again. Maybe I can get directly linked to the HR person instead of second-hand. I also have a couple friends who work there, but in very different departments. I went through one of them last year for the other position, and she knew someone in that department and connected us, but that person was not in a hiring or recommending role. Guess I need to keep digging.

Get connected directly to the recruiter if you can.

Have you friends work harder; they should be able to find out who the hiring manager is and making an introduction / connection. Asking your friend to do that can be a little intimidating, but it can be highly effective in getting to the actual decision makers.

Go ahead and apply for the position, but know that applying through the portal is the least likely / least effective way for your application to get any traction. You need to invest your time in networking your way into the company. If you don't know anybody at the company, check your network to see if you know anyone who can introduce you to someone at the company. Internal referrals are much, much, much more likely to have their application reviewed than someone applying through the website without any apparent connection to the company. "The 2-Hour Job Search" by Steve Dalton outlines some effective ways to do this.

So you're saying she should win friends and influence people?

And now an email about a "phone screening" for this Duke job. Jeez. Just interview me already.

My b, my b. It's weird, they already sent me an email questionnaire after receiving my application -- like how many screening processes do they need before a legit interview? I don't know, it's nice to progress in the search for both of these gigs, but then I just think what a pain in the ass it would be to switch up even though I need a change. Doesn't hurt to talk, though, I probably won't get offered either position in the end anyway, but I'll see if I can charm them.

Somehow forgot my Skype username. Or it's been hacked. Hmmmm...

Can finally announce some news I've been holding onto. I've accepted a job to move out to SF! Will be the SF lead for technology research/strategy at one of the big consulting companies.

Process included 4 virtual interviews with people in NYC, Argentina, Paris, and St. Louis. Received a very generous offer and did some slight negotiating, ending in no salary bump but doubling the signing bonus. And 25 vacation days + 9 holidays. (Can go into more detail on any of the interview/offer process if someone has questions)

Gave my 2 weeks notice at my current company yesterday and start officially March 13th.

Found out Friday that I'm keeping my job. Our department got cut from 12 people to 4 for right now. My role is being drastically changed as the whole place is in survival mode right now. Everyone's last day is this Friday.

Can finally announce some news I've been holding onto. I've accepted a job to move out to SF! Will be the SF lead for technology research/strategy at one of the big consulting companies.

Process included 4 virtual interviews with people in NYC, Argentina, Paris, and St. Louis. Received a very generous offer and did some slight negotiating, ending in no salary bump but doubling the signing bonus. And 25 vacation days + 9 holidays. (Can go into more detail on any of the interview/offer process if someone has questions)

Gave my 2 weeks notice at my current company yesterday and start officially March 13th.

Congrats!!

Found out Friday that I'm keeping my job. Our department got cut from 12 people to 4 for right now. My role is being drastically changed as the whole place is in survival mode right now. Everyone's last day is this Friday.

Damn, dude. I'm glad you still have your job, but fuck the bungling creation and implementation of the travel ban.

Damn, dude. I'm glad you still have your job, but fuck the bungling creation and implementation of the travel ban.

Seriously. Blessing/curse for you regarding your job, and overall just a monster clusterf*ck of a situation.

Learned the full initial fallout from the EO for our organization.

149 employees laid off. 5 offices (Miami, Nashville, Boise, Columbus, Glen Burnie, MD) closing.

Cool story is that the entire executive team at the home office took a 40-50% pay cut to help out as much as they could.

Got a part-time job offer with an affordable housing development outfit here in Chicago. Second interview was with the big boss, who is a pretty huge asshole. A slumlord, essentially. Family has made lots of money off tax credit deals with the projects. Would be a good opportunity to learn the industry and make a little cash along the way, but worried about being connected to such an unsavory operation.

Does anyone on the pit work in Talent / People analytics? Seeking some information in this field.

Long story; just finished a project for a masters level predictive analytics class that involved building a model to predict attrition (used SAS Enterprise Miner) and I'm very interested in the People / Talent Analytics field based on what I learned through this project and in the course of researching the subject. Thanks in advance.

May have the perfect storm brewing.

Interviewed for job #1 two weeks ago Friday. They finished the interview process last Thursday and reached out to me to say they planned on making a decision by the end of this week. Did phone interview for job #2 two days ago and was asked to come in for an in-person interview with the organization's founder and CEO yesterday. This morning, within 45 minutes of each other, got an email from each place requesting references and both said they want to make the decision by the end of the week.

With that being said, job #2 is with a non-profit. They have asked me about a salary range, which I gave and they said they felt they could be in the high portion of that range. After this they told me there are no current benefits, but they plan on adding health insurance in FY18. If I had known about no health insurance prior to them asking about the range, I would have upped the range a little bit. If offered, do I ask for more to off-set the loss of health insurance, or do I ride it out with what I already told them for 9-12 months and hope they follow through on adding insurance?

I've had several great interviews with companies that I'd really like to work for but none are okay with remote and want me to move out to CA. It's incredibly frustrating because I get my hopes up every time and then they are dashed.

Back