• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

I know you've mentioned this a few times but I personally think this is horrible advice, especially to 'young'uns' as you highlighted earlier.

Way too often people stay in a job because it's comfortable and a fear of the unknown. That safe route may be fine for some but a lot of experiences are missed by staying at one job because it's comfortable. There are significant benefits (beyond just financially) for moving jobs.

- Easiest way to increase salary (and often title/level)
- Learn a lot more when working in a new role/company (soft and hard skills)
- Success at multiple companies increases desirability on the job market
- Increasing social / professional network
- Especially when young, possibly get the chance to live in another city

And as long as you leave your company on good terms, very likely you can boomerang, likely at a higher level and higher salary.

Just as my post was probably a bit too broad, your interpretation of it was interpreted too broadly.

Of course - one can get too stale in a job and not make a move for fear of the unknown. That's perhaps as big as a mistake as taking a job about which you're not completely sure.

It also depends on the position, when you're making the move (20s? 30s? 50s?), and more.

Your post was based entirely on the experience of a relatively young professional. PhDeac, as far as I know, is 40-ish. At 40, I wouldn't go half-assed into a decision - it's a bad move. You can disagree, of course, but that's my belief based on experience.

My original post:

"My only recommendation for you young'uns is this: the grass is not always greener, and sometimes it's completely dead. So if you're not 110% sure about a new opportunity, don't do it."

We can argue until we're blue in the face about the possible advantages of making a possibly bad move vs. not, and really, neither of us can win that argument. For example, you talked about boomeranging, but in my business, it's nearly impossible to return once you've left a company. Again, it really depends on the industry and job I suppose.

I'm sure we both have plenty of examples to defend our respective stances. At the end of the day, however, in my opinion it makes more sense to be certain of a move before taking a new position. If you're miserable, no, that advice isn't as useful - but then again, at no point did anyone suggest remaining in a miserable job.

Last edited:
I know you've mentioned this a few times but I personally think this is horrible advice, especially to 'young'uns' as you highlighted earlier.

Way too often people stay in a job because it's comfortable and a fear of the unknown. That safe route may be fine for some but a lot of experiences are missed by staying at one job because it's comfortable. There are significant benefits (beyond just financially) for moving jobs.

- Easiest way to increase salary (and often title/level)
- Learn a lot more when working in a new role/company (soft and hard skills)
- Success at multiple companies increases desirability on the job market, also can prevent being locked into one type of work / industry
- Increasing social / professional network
- Especially when young, possibly get the chance to live in another city

And as long as you leave your company on good terms, very likely you can boomerang, likely at a higher level and higher salary.

Agree with Nonny. I was very nervous about changing jobs about a year ago. New position offered way more comp (50ish%) but had some serious question marks associated with it. I made the decision to take the job (wasn't happy with the structure at my old firm) and have been so glad I moved. Sometimes you have to take the plunge and see what happens.

Siff...Just curious, what makes it nearly impossible to return to a company in your industry?

Seems like overall very bad business.

Just got an offer today.

Firm is in DC, much bigger company, offering me 57% more than I make now with great benefits and a 4% relocation bonus.

Tell this beta cuck how to negotiate, at least the relocation bonus, with no real leverage except that they want me.

Just got an offer today.

Firm is in DC, much bigger company, offering me 57% more than I make now with great benefits and a 4% relocation bonus.

Tell this beta cuck how to negotiate, at least the relocation bonus, with no real leverage except that they want me.

Did you tell them how much you currently make/give them a desired salary range?

Did you tell them how much you currently make/give them a desired salary range?

yes, both were in the initial application

i asked for 40% more and they offered 57% more

i want to negotiate the relocation bonus a little and the time off (i have 3 weeks now and the offer is 2)

i want to negotiate the relocation bonus a little and the time off (i have 3 weeks now and the offer is 2)

Come down on the salary a percent or two and bump the tangibles?

If you offered 40%, then 57% must be at the bottom of their potential salary range.

Sometimes vacation days are less negotiable than salary, especially at a large company.

Remember that a relocation bonus is a one time thing. A salary bonus of the same percent is much more valuable.

Don't give up money in exchange for anything else. That's silly.

If you decide you do want to ask for more money, don't think you can't because of your previous salary or referencing 40%. Just make sure you are able to back up and explain why you're asking for more. Maybe you did more research about market rate? Maybe you didn't know it would be in DC or after having more time to research DC, feel the offer should be higher? Lots of possible reasons, just figure out what yours are.

And thinking you have no leverage is a horrible way to approach this. According to them, you have all the leverage in the world. You can stay with your current job. You can continue searching on the job market since you're a desirable candidate (according to them which is most important). You can pursue another degree. They're the ones who have already made it very clear they want you, and have committed a great deal of resources in the hiring process. Check out that article I sent you and posted earlier.

Me no good at this. Not sure why I even typed anything. Probs more beta than Townie when it comes this shit.

Just got an offer today.

Where are you moving from? That's important with regard to your relocation.

The relocation is one-time and I wouldn't think about it as a % of salary. It's a fixed cost/signing bonus that won't matter at all after you move and start working.

Imo, on salary, it's easier to round up to increments of $5k, so if you're feeling ballsy, just round up to the next $5k increment on salary and pick a relo figure that seems reasonable to move and maybe pocket a little bit to celebrate the new gig.

On the time off... I dunno, maybe just ask their vacation policy and see how long it'd take to get back up to 3 weeks. I wouldn't have that be the sticking point, if they don't suck then you can go negative on vaca days if you have a dope ass trip planned and need the time off.

So anyone with contacts in the HR dept at University of South Fl or Florida Gulf coast ? PM me

My company is hiring a entry-level IT person. Mostly clinical/radiology IT. Not back end/infrastructure support (which is a commodity now anyhow).
http://www.canopy-partners.com/about-us/careers

ETA: benefits are off the chain. As an example, we put 7.5% in your 401k before you put in a dime, then match an additional 1.5%. And we start you with over 4 weeks' vacation. Step up off me.

On the time off... I dunno, maybe just ask their vacation policy and see how long it'd take to get back up to 3 weeks. I wouldn't have that be the sticking point, if they don't suck then you can go negative on vaca days if you have a dope ass trip planned and need the time off.

This is what ended up happening here. I explained I was going to France and they were cool with going negative. Seems like a legit operation where I won't need to take vacation days if I can answer emails and phone calls while traveling too.

This is what ended up happening here. I explained I was going to France and they were cool with going negative. Seems like a legit operation where I won't need to take vacation days if I can answer emails and phone calls while traveling too.

Sounds like you will soon be a DC Deac, and leave the city of Brotherly Love. Go from a hometown Basketball team that is tanking to one just good enough to make a round of playoffs.

Back