• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Russian Election Interference Thread

We have 10 years of evidence on these here tunnels that no matter what, no one changes their opinion on anything that involves politics, but if a Russian posts a facebook ad with a buff Bernie bro then that will change 100,000 votes in Philadelphia?

dude, the trolls spent like fifty cents on ads

please don't be so fucking willfully ignorant

Have you interviewed the 77,000 people that tipped the Electoral College to Trump? If so, did they confirm that internet memes or the WikiLeaks stuff had nothing to do with their vote?

You, and all of us, will never know if the Russian internet trolls and wikileaks thefts had any effect on the election. We don't know whether the GOP breaking into and stealing documents from the DNC in the 70's is what got Nixon re-elected or not. Maybe it tipped the scales, maybe it didn't. Doesn't matter, it is/was still something that we should be very concern about and should investigate and fix.

No. It had nothing to do with Russian Trolls. Russian trolls did not flip 200,000 votes in the rust belt. It may help you sleep better at night thinking that. It may help you win an internet message board argument thinking that. It may help you justify your twitter obsession. But it did not happen. Christ.

I win every internet message board argument I enter despite what I think about Russian bots, my little chronic masturbating friend.

But I dig your certainty. you could be right

We have 10 years of evidence on these here tunnels that no matter what, no one changes their opinion on anything that involves politics, but if a Russian posts a facebook ad with a buff Bernie bro then that will change 100,000 votes in Philadelphia?

Do you think any October surprises have ever swayed an election?

DISCORD not swaying any election

look at our country right now

I would say:

History_Speeches_1511_GW_Bush_Mission_Accomplished_SF_still_624x352.jpg

Yes, even if that's all it accomplished, we should investigate and prosecute the people that made all this happen.

No. It had nothing to do with Russian Trolls. Russian trolls did not flip 200,000 votes in the rust belt. It may help you sleep better at night thinking that. It may help you win an internet message board argument thinking that. It may help you justify your twitter obsession. But it did not happen. Christ.

Do you have facts to support this position?

Also why does the magnitude of the effect matter? Why is it ok with you that a foreign dictator can fuck with our election and get away with it unscathed?

There were no surprises. For all the talk about the hacked DNC emails, can you remember a single damaging email that was ever leaked? I can't.

Who gives a shit if you remember? Hacking the DNC was illegal and a massive attack on our Democratic processes. Why wouldn't we investigate and punish the perpetrators?

Do you have facts to support this position?

Also why does the magnitude of the effect matter? Why is it ok with you that a foreign dictator can fuck with our election and get away with it unscathed?

Common sense supports the position. And whether it's ok for Putin to do it is different than whether it put Trump in office.

There were no surprises. For all the talk about the hacked DNC emails, can you remember a single damaging email that was ever leaked? I can't.

Can you answer my question? In the history of American elections has a piece of information - totally innaccurate or hyperbole or out-of-context or whatever - been dropped by an opponent that hurt a candidates race and swayed the election?

Also, have smaller and repeated claims in television ads ever eroded the popularity of a candidate over the course of the campaign? And if not, why do American politicians seek campaign donations and spend hundreds of millions of dollars on this type of messaging?

Are 30-second television ads depicting a candidate laughing about an abortion really any different than an internet meme saying the same thing?

I know your are trolling, and you are trying so hard, but this may not be your best effort

Last edited:
Common sense supports the position. And whether it's ok for Putin to do it is different than whether it put Trump in office.

Probability theory, which I trust more that your common sense, says that Trumps victory was highly improbable, however whether or not Putin put Trump in office is a secondary issue that we will never know the answer too. We should be interested in protecting our democracy and selecting our own leaders. Seems to me that even if there is a 0.05% chance that Putin got Trump elected we should figure out what he did, arrest the people involved, and prevent future meddling.

Nope. I'm still amazed at how little damaging information was in those emails, regardless of party or even profession. But that sure didn't stop conservative news outlets from fear mongering and making up what COULD have been in the e-mails. It was a case example of letting the public's imagination run wild, at which point the fact that there was nothing in the emails didn't even matter. What MIGHT be in e-mails became the Republican platform for 2016.

Last edited:
Nope. I'm still amazed at how little damaging information was in those emails were, regardless of party or even profession. But that sure didn't stop conservative news outlets from fear mongering and making up what COULD have been in the e-mails. It was a case example of letting the publics' imaginations run wild, at which point the fact that there was nothing in the emails didn't even matter.

exactly spot on. There is a reason that experienced campaign consultants continuously advise campaigns to leak and spin anything and everything they can to besmirch the opponent - because it works on the swing voters. The Russians simply got in on our game on behalf of their candidate. Even if it only swayed a few swing voters, it was essentially effective.

The October surprise here was the Comey letter saying there were "new" emails to review, not the content of any one email. The Comey letter probably swung the election. How much was the impact of the letter increased because people had been whipped into a fervor about HER EMAILS!!! by trolls, Russian or otherwise (and to be fair, by the breathless coverage by the mainstream media as well). Who knows.

The impact of Comey’s letter is comparatively easy to quantify... At a maximum, it might have shifted the race by 3 or 4 percentage points toward Donald Trump, swinging Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Florida to him, perhaps along with North Carolina and Arizona. At a minimum, its impact might have been only a percentage point or so. Still, because Clinton lost Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin by less than 1 point, the letter was probably enough to change the outcome of the Electoral College.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-comey-letter-probably-cost-clinton-the-election/

Nope. I'm still amazed at how little damaging information was in those emails were, regardless of party or even profession. But that sure didn't stop conservative news outlets from fear mongering and making up what COULD have been in the e-mails. It was a case example of letting the publics' imaginations run wild, at which point the fact that there was nothing in the emails didn't even matter.

It was also an opening for them and Trump to talk about the completely unrelated private server email problem, which was just a general reminder that the Clinton's have a long history of skirting the law. It was a great opening and it was used effectively.

The October surprise here was the Comey letter saying there were "new" emails to review, not the content of any one email. The Comey letter probably swung the election. How much was the impact of the letter increased because people had been whipped into a fervor about HER EMAILS!!! by trolls, Russian or otherwise (and to be fair, by the breathless coverage by the mainstream media as well). Who knows.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-comey-letter-probably-cost-clinton-the-election/

I'd be surprised if 100,000 Trump voters in Pennslyvania know who James Comey is.

you should be advising political campaigns plama you know all this cool stuff about how they work much better than the ones out there now

Probability theory, which I trust more that your common sense, says that Trumps victory was highly improbable, however whether or not Putin put Trump in office is a secondary issue that we will never know the answer too. We should be interested in protecting our democracy and selecting our own leaders. Seems to me that even if there is a 0.05% chance that Putin got Trump elected we should figure out what he did, arrest the people involved, and prevent future meddling.

It wasn't improbable. It was totally predictable. To those with common sense.

too bad all that common sense hasn't helped you in your real life, what with all the excitement over the $50 a month in tax relief and whatnot

Back