• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Syracuse - Wake game thread (Foot of snow)

It's really pretty simple. If you don't want to have the reputation of being constant whiners, stop constantly whining.

You, unsurprisingly, missed the point. You have a bias because you only post and read these message boards (as far as I know). As 27 said above, every fan base is like this yet you're just calling us whiners. Because, again, you have a bias.

You, unsurprisingly, missed the point. You have a bias because you only post and read these message boards (as far as I know). As 27 said above, every fan base is like this yet you're just calling us whiners. Because, again, you have a bias.

I've been watching college basketball games for 60 years and I've only seen one game where I thought the referees deliberately affected the outcome of the game.

That's how the great Bob Knight never had a reputation of being a whiner, he never blamed the refs, you morons!

How about an abridged greatest hits of Bob Knight "NEVER BLAMING REFS"

1983 — Knight criticizes Big Ten officiating by standing at midcourt and cursing at Big Ten Commissioner Wayne Duke, who is in the press box. Two days later, Knight assails the referees for the "worst officiating I have seen in 12 years."

1986 — Receives technical foul for shouting at the officials during a game against Illinois, then kicks a megaphone and admonishes Indiana cheerleaders for disrupting a free-throw attempt by Steve Alford.

1987 — Bangs fist on the scorer's table after being assessed a technical foul during a game against LSU. The university is fined $10,000 by the NCAA and Knight receives a reprimand. Refuses to let his team finish an exhibition game against the Soviet Union after he was ejected for arguing with a referee and is later reprimanded by the university.

1998 — Is fined $10,000 by the Big Ten for berating referee Ted Valentine, whose officiating Knight calls "the greatest travesty" he had seen in his coaching career. Knight receives three technical fouls and is ejected by Valentine during the second half of a loss to Illinois. Advances to second round of NCAA tournament before loss to Connecticut.

There are more of these events that NEVER happened...

I've been watching college basketball games for 60 years and I've only seen one game where I thought the referees deliberately affected the outcome of the game.

I doubt many Wake fans think refs are out to get them. They just think the referees are overworked and miss a lot of calls.

I don't think they want to screw us, I think they are just not as good at their jobs as they need to be. Consistency is horrendous, and they need to figure out a way to combat home court bias (which is more of a human nature thing than anything else).

It's practically the same as the argument for human error as a "character trait" in baseball. If you had the technology, as we do in baseball, to get every call right, would you even want it? Or are the refs' errors a part of the game?

I agree with DF27 in that consistency is the major problem. When the refs can't even agree consistently on what is or is not a foul, how are players supposed to learn it and abide by it? Of course there will always be some variance from game to game and crew to crew, but at the moment it is way too high.

Saying the real Bob Knight never whined about refs is as accurate as saying Charlie Sheen never did coke.

curious what you mean by this?

Guards generally commit fewer fouls per 40 minutes than bigs and Wake has four guards that play more than 48% of the teams' minutes (BC, Chil, Woods, Wilbekin) and three who play more than 60% of the teams' minutes. Also Arians doesn't really play inside much and doesn't commit very many fouls.

The stat he posted was that Wake is bottom 10 in power 5 in fouls as in committing fouls, as in we have a lot of fouls called against us.

The stat he posted was that Wake is bottom 10 in power 5 in fouls as in committing fouls, as in we have a lot of fouls called against us.

Correct, so let me suggest, "Makes sense because of how our guards don't do a great job of defending the perimeter AND we have a few bigs who are prone to being foul machines."

i mean i think his original interpretation of guards not fouling as much as bigs was correct, but the stat was contradictory to our lineup tendencies not affirming.

it's also probably one of the biggest reasons for our poor defense. getting in the bonus early is brutal for a defense. off ball fouls turning into free throws just shreds a defensive efficiency.

I misunderstood that original post. I thought it meant we were bottom 10 of fouls called as in we weren't committing very many fouls.

That's certainly interesting then.

Saying the real Bob Knight never whined about refs is as accurate as saying Charlie Sheen never did coke.

Fish_Hooked_07-HumanFishHookPullingDirection.jpg

In this thread an old man who walked from Greensboro to Winston because he was so upset about the officiating in a game lectures fans of his alma mater about complaining about calls on a game thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back