• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Just got out of Alien, I liked it as well. A little less than Prometheus but still a good watch.

if covenant were an 8, Prometheus would be a 10

Too intellectual

Fill in the gaps

That's why Prometheus has mixed reviews

A chilling sci fi if you suspend all belief

Last edited:
Movies watched during round trip transatlantic flights:

Total Recall remake: I'm not sure you can even call this a remake. They just took a few characters' names and the recall concept and then made a completely different, shitty movie. I did like how they beefed up the female characters' roles though.

The Founder: excellent as expected. Michael Keaton crushed it and Ron Swanson was solid, even if he does look weird without facial hair. Not sure why this one didn't perform better commercially or critically.

Hell or High Water: wow. Absolutely phenomenal. Jeff Bridges should be cast in every movie until he dies. He's just the best. Probably tied with Hidden Figures as the best movie I've seen from 2016.

Moana: caveat is I'm 35 and don't have kids, but I bailed from this about 30 minutes in. I understand the appeal and might feel differently when I do have kids, but this just wasn't for me. Also the name of the movie/lead character was changed to Vaiana, which was weird. I guess there's a language thing, since I was flying from Europe...

Why Him: I feel like this movie completely hinges on your taste for Franco. I don't have a strong feeling toward him either way, so I didn't have a strong feeling toward this movie. There were a few funny-but-predictable bits and it's always nice to see Cranston do comedy. Same with KMK.

Alien Covenant really made you think. Don't watch if you haven't seen it.

Most brilliant scene in the film relates to this:

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

genius

Most brilliant scene in the film relates to this:

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

genius

I thought the reveal that Walter was David was going to involve the poem. I envisioned something like he puts the remaining people into cryo and then reverts to his normal accent and asks Mother "Who wrote Ozymadias?" then smiles when he hears the answer or something like that.

I really enjoyed WW. It's fun, light, the action is good, the plot is above average for DC. I honestly think it hits mid-Marvel tier. The casting is most good, especially Gal Godot. WW is a badass hero and the times when she mixes it up are really entertaining. Chris Pine is used extremely well. The movie is really long (mostly because of the origin-prologue) but it didn't feel like it; I didn't realize it was 2.5 hrs until after. And like most of these DC movies, it feels like they left a lot on the cutting room floor. I'd watch a director's cut.

Lots of speed ramping during the combat, not quite enough to be distracting but by the end it's like, OK we get it.

negatives: it's really corny a couple times, like out-of-tone level. kind of jarring. also, the plot is fine but kind of a mess. WW powers aren't super clear. The fight sequences in the beginning and middle are better then the climax, which is another comic book laser/power/lightning shoving match amongst debris. Also, the movie is bloodless, like not even nosebleeds (I think), which is really bizarre when you've got swords involved and lots of punching.

I didn't stick around to confirm whether or not there was a stinger since we went to the 10:05pm showing but internets says i didn't miss anything

I could have sworn someone said "Why Him?" (With James Franco and Bryan Cranston) wasn't that bad, so I watched it on a flight over the weekend. That movie is straight trash with insanely predictable punchlines.

agreed. i walked out 30 minutes in.

Rainy weekend down here.

Wonder Woman had corny moments but was a good movie.

Pirates V was terrible. The second half was better than the first half and my kids actually woke up, but it's just a sloppy CGI fest. Don't go in the theater. Wait and watch it at home if you watch it at all.

The post credits scene suggests another movie, but I hope this is the end. All the characters are beyond washed out. Captain Jack lost his mojo a long time ago.

Finally watched In the Heard of the Sea last night. Wifey had wanted to watch it for a while and I kept resisting. But I really enjoyed it. It was a lot better than I was expecting.

Rainy weekend down here.

Wonder Woman had corny moments but was a good movie.

Pirates V was terrible. The second half was better than the first half and my kids actually woke up, but it's just a sloppy CGI fest. Don't go in the theater. Wait and watch it at home if you watch it at all.

The post credits scene suggests another movie, but I hope this is the end. All the characters are beyond washed out. Captain Jack lost his mojo a long time ago.

Depp gotta pay that alimony. Plus those movies generate most of their revenue from the international markets now, so I'd bet on more - even if people claim that this was the last one.

Back