• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Saw St. Vincent last night. Thought it was really good. Bill Murray is just awesome.

Is it necessary or preferable to have seen or remember the original Mad Max movies in order to enjoy the new one?

Is it necessary or preferable to have seen or remember the original Mad Max movies in order to enjoy the new one?

the plot is "guy shows up wandering around the wasteland on his own and action begins. and continues. and continues. end of movie."

You don't need to know any backstory, but it helps to know that Max's wife and daughter were both killed and he is haunted by their memories.

I watched Mad Max for the first time last night, it was fucking wild. Going to check out Road Warrior before seeing the new one.

is this at all a movie for the ladies?

isn't the other lead a strong female character? seems to be the #whitemale crybaby issue

and i only mention that because i've heard that as a reason some of my millennial female acquaintances have liked it

Last edited:
You don't need to know any backstory, but it helps to know that Max's wife and daughter were both killed and he is haunted by their memories.

It's his son, right? Granted, I was pretty high, but I think he had a son.

ETA -- not that it's a big deal.

Last edited:

It's his son, right? Granted, I was pretty high, but I think he had a son.

ETA -- not that it's a big deal.

It was definitely his son, Sprog.

Also, they were fucking terrible parents in the original--they just left that kid on his own all over the place. He was also rolling around in the back of the station wagon most of the movie.

is this at all a movie for the ladies?

it depends. does the lady in question enjoy a great action movie with tons of fighting and violence? if so she would probably enjoy it. i would argue that charlize theron's character is the emotional draw and about the only storyline in the movie (not a bad thing since it works). there are not really any damsels in distress that need saving so she would probably like that as well. i saw it without my wife but am confident she would enjoy it as much as i did.

Also, they were fucking terrible parents in the original--they just left that kid on his own all over the place. He was also rolling around in the back of the station wagon most of the movie.

haha i saw this within the last year and thought the same thing.

532b3a77a261a.image.jpg

I don't even remember that seeing any of the other Mad Max movies was necessary before seeing any of the other Mad Max movies. Seems like they all kind of stood on their own, but I think I last saw them in the 80s, except for the original Mad Max, which I saw later after the other two in the 90s.

Those were the good ol' days before seat belt laws and when you could put your dog in a crate on top of your car and nobody would give a shit about it.

The wife was still alive after the first film, Road Warrior had one line of dialogue to let people know that she didn't make it.

Why is there a remake of Point Break coming out? The original is great and had three high-profile actors (plus Flea and Kiedis). Plus the prior remake as Fast & Furious with, again, high profile actors. What is the point of remaking it with no-names, just to amp up the action scenes? Nobody is going to out-perform Swayze and Busey.

Why is there a remake of Point Break coming out? The original is great and had three high-profile actors (plus Flea and Kiedis). Plus the prior remake as Fast & Furious with, again, high profile actors. What is the point of remaking it with no-names, just to amp up the action scenes? Nobody is going to out-perform Swayze and Busey.

And it looks absolutely awful.

Good lord, that looks fucking terrible. The whole charm of Point Break was the perfect storm of Keanu, Swayze, and Busey.

It is completely ridiculous. It is like remaking Top Gun just to be able to film better air scenes.

Back