• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

God, Spy is great. One of the funniest movies I've seen in a couple of years. Statham is absolutely perfect in it, didn't expect him to have that sort of comedic timing.

Ugh...Bridesmaids sucked. Same kind of humor?

I think humor-wise it probably more closely aligns with The Heat. It's more mean-spirited than Bridesmaids for the most part. And unlike, say, Tammy, McCarthy's not the butt of the joke.

Spy is killing it on RT - 95%.

lol, the internet loves the guitar guy

Screen-Shot-2015-03-31-at-1.16.46-PM-320x240.png

Wake marketing needs this guy for 3rd downs on the video board

Saw and enjoyed The Voices tonight. Worth checking out if you like dark comedy.

Saw Wild the other night. Reese Witherspoon putting it out there. Nice titties.

Well, I hated Mad Max. I must be missing something, I thought it was terrible.

Well, I hated Mad Max. I must be missing something, I thought it was terrible.

surprising. you are the only person i have heard say this (other than the very few early idiots that complained about it being "feminist propaganda").

ImWithTheCaptain... what did you not like?

Yeah, I had only heard pretty universally positive reviews. It just bored me.

It looked like any other action movie out there and I was expecting something different: dirty, dark, and crazy; I just thought it was CONTRIVED. The effects did nothing for me, and, despite the all the press about a return to real special effects not dominated by CGI, I thought it looked way too clean and processed, especially the valley and their home base; the camera effects -- the herky jerky shit (I know he does some of that in the other movies) -- was incredibly distracting. Maybe because it was digital, though I guess most shit is now.

I didn't care about any of the characters, and did think the female aspect was forced -- though I love strong female leads and beautiful women who kick ass (Charlize may have been the best part). I thought Tom Hardy was dull and stiff, none of that smoldering lunacy that Mel Gibson brought to the original role. Most people cream themselves over Tom Hardy, too, and I don't see it. I didn't like his Bane and didn't like Batman, either. I'm just a H8er, I guess.

I don't know man, after all the enthusiasm for it I was excited, but told myself to keep my expectations in check. I just wanted something fun with some crazy originality. It had a few laughs, but after watching the first two recently, it just seemed to have no soul to it. My buddy and I both walked out feeling the same thing, but, like you said, I think we are the only two to think that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had only heard pretty universally positive reviews. It just bored me.

It looked like any other action movie out there and I was expecting something different: dirty, dark, and crazy; I just thought it was CONTRIVED. The effects did nothing for me, and, despite the all the press about a return to real special effects not dominated by CGI, I thought it looked way too clean and processed, especially the valley and their home base; the camera effects -- the herky jerky shit (I know he does some of that in the other movies) -- was incredibly distracting. Maybe because it was digital, though I guess most shit is now.

I didn't care about any of the characters, and did think the female aspect was forced -- though I love strong female leads and beautiful women who kick ass (Charlize may have been the best part). I thought Tom Hardy was dull and stiff, none of that smoldering lunacy that Mel Gibson brought to the original role. Most people cream themselves over Tom Hardy, too, and I don't see it. I didn't like his Bane and didn't like Batman, either. I'm just a H8er, I guess.

I don't know man, after all the enthusiasm for it I was excited, but told myself to keep my expectations in check. I just wanted something fun with some crazy originality. It had a few laughs, but after watching the first two recently, it just seemed to have no soul to it. My buddy and I both walked out feeling the same thing, but, like you said, I think we are the only two to think that.

i guess any story can feel contrived if you over think it. i thought it was a pretty simple story. thrown right into the action tell a moment in time short event. probably can't get around the camera thing since they were filming real time. probably either like it or don't. i did not think tom hardy was even much of a character. he could have been any brooding actor. to me it was all about charlize theron. she was the center of the film and hardy was just along for the ride. i get that on some level he started out broken and by the end he was more stable for having helped do some good but she was the heart of the movie.

i had heard some of the reviews but saw it before there was a tidal wave of good will. i was probably predisposed to enjoying it after the flood of avengers advertising fatigued me. if you don't like tom hardy and had high expectations that sounds like a bit of a no win situation.

That was me mainly just wanting to say "contrived." I didn't even want to think about the story, just wanted my mind melted.

Yeah, simple story, as are the first two; I just didn't dig the visual stuff as much as I expected I would, whereas the visual world he created in the originals was what drew me in. The first Mad Max stands out for me well above the three I've seen and I thought Road Warrior, which I didn't connect to as much, easily surpassed this as a kind of anarchistic storytelling achievement -- no rules, just being thrown in and having to hitch a ride or be left behind.

Last edited:
come to think of it i read a review that mentioned an interview with the director. apparently they over-saturated the color to make it much more bold. that might have affected your perception as well. he also said that the blue ray will feature a black and white version that the director thought was the best version.

Back