• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

earlier this week I asked my wife if we could watch the last 2 Brosnan Bonds as I had only seen them like once each and a podcast I listen to is covering the Brosnan Bonds rn. So after those terrible movies she asked if we could watch all of the Bonds in order. So that's what we're doing. Dr. No and From Russia With Love down, a bunch to go. I haven't seen all of them, particularly some of the latter Moores and either of the Daltons, so should be interesting.

License to Kill is one of my personal favorites. Sounds like a fun project!

I really liked the Dalton bond movies but probably because I was a kid and they were on TV all of the time.

My favorite is A View to a Kill because of Christopher Walken and Tanya Roberts's bewbs (RIP).

I also recently saw No Hard Feelings and it gets a hearty (y). It quite reminded me of an 80s teen movie but 25% less problematic, it even featured 80s teen movie royalty as the dad (Broderick).

Both the Dalton Bond films are fine, though somewhat hindered by bad Bond girl acting, which was kind of normal for back then. License to Kill is hilarious when you consider how often they keep trotting out Felix afterwards. The Living Daylights is the better of the two films, but IMO Dalton's Bond (for which he was much maligned, coming as it did on the heals of Roger Moore) is the model for Craig's Bond, only Dalton somehow manages to be funnier than Craig.

My favorite is probably still On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Lazenby was not a great Bond, but that film is awesome, and so 60s. Brosnan is probably my least favorite Bond, though his first two Bond films are solid. Craig my second least favorite.

I remember being briefly obsessed with a novelization of License to Kill that I read multiple times at a 3-week long summer camp as a kid, but I don't think I've ever seen it start to finish. Might need to address that.

Same camp I read a novelization of the Tim Burton Batman for some reason. Not sure how I got my hands on either of these.

Same camp I read a novelization of the Tim Burton Batman for some reason. Not sure how I got my hands on either of these.
I read the novelization of Adventures in Babysitting multiple times long before I saw the movie.

I also won tickets to see the premier of that movie and an Al B. Sure cassette in a radio contest, but I had baseball practice that night and my mom wouldn't let me skip it to see the movie. So it was years before I finally saw it, and... meh.

Both the Dalton Bond films are fine, though somewhat hindered by bad Bond girl acting, which was kind of normal for back then. License to Kill is hilarious when you consider how often they keep trotting out Felix afterwards. The Living Daylights is the better of the two films, but IMO Dalton's Bond (for which he was much maligned, coming as it did on the heals of Roger Moore) is the model for Craig's Bond, only Dalton somehow manages to be funnier than Craig.

My favorite is probably still On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Lazenby was not a great Bond, but that film is awesome, and so 60s. Brosnan is probably my least favorite Bond, though his first two Bond films are solid. Craig my second least favorite.

Agree with you that OHMSS is dope. Also agree with you about Brosnan and Craig

I’m a Dalton - Connery - Moore - Lazenby - Craig - Brosnan guy

A couple new releases from Kino Lorber I picked up and watched over the last few days.

IMG_2727.jpg

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot - Had never seen this before. What a gem. Has this hazy, hang-out comedy vibe to it, but has more dimensions and things to say than just your average buddy road flick. Clint the usual taciturn stoic pairs so well with Bridges' endearing, happy-go-lucky dreamer character. Two very different sides of the same coin - low-level criminal drifters who want nothing to do with everyday life. Bridges is so damn young and incredible in this. And man, Cimino really knew how to shoot landscapes in his films. Some funny moments too, including Bill McKinney and some rabbits. That's all I'll say. The 70s ruled.

The Train - Masterpiece. Tension-filled, exquisite action sequences enveloped around the central question of how much cultural heritage and art is worth at the expense of human lives. Real stunts, real trains getting crashed. It's so damn grand in scale and ambition but feels so tight and controlled. This thing rips.

Recommend both if you like older movies.

Great recs. I second both of those.

What else have you been watching?

I’m Connery - Craig - Dalton - Brosnan - Moore - Lazenby and Dalton and Brosnan are interchangeable for me.

Great recs. I second both of those.

What else have you been watching?
Not much new stuff. Rewatched some classics - Alien, Aliens, and The Sting. Been doing more reading than watching the last couple weeks.

With it being Halloween in a few days, I think I'm gonna do a couple horror movies this weekend. At least one Cronenberg. Maybe Videodrome and Don't Look Now? Both of which I've seen, but it's been a minute.

Moore was what they wanted him to be. I understand why he is criticized for being too flippant, but that's how his Bond was written. When he has to go with serious Bond, he does it quite well. I think his biggest problem is not how he played Bond, but that he played Bond for too long. It was really noticeable in A View To A Kill, and really probably from Moonraker on.

The Connery-Moore thing is similar to Dalton-Brosnan, IMO. Dalton was serious and Shakespearean, and particularly after Licence to Kill (which was a very serious Bond flick that was criticized for putting Bond in the role of going rogue), and Brosnan was more of a return to Roger Moore, plus people felt like Brosnan should've always been Bond had he not been doing Remington Steele.

I don't know. I think they were all pretty good at times and my perception of them has a lot to do with how shitty their movies were. But overall, I'd rate the last two Bonds as the lowest. Craig was just completely humorless and Brosnan too much of a pretty boy with great hair. And yet I don't give two shits about that if I'm watching Skyfall or Goldeneye.

Lazenby, IMO, doesn't really get a grade for his one film, but realistically, he's probably the worst with no acting experience or chops.

I think my wife is pretty cool but she would never in a million years suggest that we watch a movie franchise in order.

Back