• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Watched The Killer last night. maybe just too tired, but it was one slow ass flick. Acting was great, but took way too long to get going.
Yeah, if you're expecting a white-knuckle thriller you're gonna be disappointed. The Killer is more of a neo-noir character study. I really enjoyed it, especially Fassbender's acting, the score and the cinematography.

So true! Just hadn't geared up for the pace mentally. Loved the acting and script. Just wanted to trim 15 minutes

Do you like movies that kick ass? If your answer to that is yes, boy do I have one for you: Godzilla Minus One. Not for the reasons you may expect a lifelong Godzilla fanboy to have either (wrecking stuff, nuclear breath, wrecking more stuff) but it's the human element that elevates this iteration. They're not just time fillers and exposition givers like 80% of these movies (and 100% of the US versions [which I do like]). The main characters are well fleshed out and make you care about them. Even the big guy is much more frightening despite being heavily nerfed, especially compared to Shin but I think it makes him a more personal threat, he's not just inadvertently leveling city blocks while walking around, he's coming for YOU!

This is my favorite movie of 2023, going to go ahead and call it regardless of what comes out over the rest of this month.

Saw the new Indiana Jones movie now that it's finally free on Disney+. I thought it was great, especially considering how terrible and unwatchable Crystal Skull was. This felt kind of like fan fiction just to get back to the feel of the first three movies. I would definitely recommend checking it out.

saw the Japanese film Monster over the weekend -- very good coming-of-age story told from three different perspectives

criterion channel running a parker posey collection this month and I watched Linklater's SubUrbia last night -- very much in the traditional Linklater style, but darker -- Steve Zahn is great

Went and saw Saltburn yesterday. It was...interesting. Didn't love it. Didn't hate it. Well acted. A little weird.

Saw the new Indiana Jones movie now that it's finally free on Disney+. I thought it was great, especially considering how terrible and unwatchable Crystal Skull was. This felt kind of like fan fiction just to get back to the feel of the first three movies. I would definitely recommend checking it out.

I thought it was better than Crystal Skull (low bar), but what makes the original Indy trilogy good is that it goes kind of mystical without ever really going somewhere that is too far out-- religious stuff, witch doctors, etc... Crystal Skull made the leap into eye rolling territory both with plot and with a lot of the crap on the way to the end (the refrigerator scene, the car hanging on a tree branch or some shit). This mostly stayed away from that until the end, at which point it became a bit of a jump the shark moment for the movie. I thought they should've found a way around that to keep the plot in the mystical realm without going full hilt into it.

Saw Godzilla Minus One last night. Just fantastic. A movie with a $15M budget is hands down my favorite of the year.

Last edited:
I watched Gran Tourismo and Barbie on the plane yesterday.

Gran Tourismo was way better than I expected.

Barbie was fine and culturally relevant.

Watched barbie last night. Our 11 yo son was not interested in it but gave it a go. He liked it well enough, but won't watch it again.

It was fun.

I now understand mako's costume. I will say the movie made me want to rewatch the Wolf of Wallstreet for some reason. It's been awhile, maybe I'll remember why it piqued my interest.

I also watched Barbie and finally understood why so many of the Instagram models I follow did not enjoy it.

Also Matchbox 20 is good.

Back