• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

So a few minutes on Google leads me to the conclusion that Hope Solo and her husband just totally randomly moved from Seattle to Wilkes County, NC. No accounting for taste.

Makes you wonder how many unhinged people escape to Wilkes County so they won’t be found.

Probably about the same amount that are born in Edgecombe county.

Ah. Good counter. Because an athlete born in Edgecombe County scored 6 points against the Sixers today not got arrested for DWI yesterday.

Btw- I think there are some pretty sweet mountain homes in Wilkes County. There are definitely some great ones just across the county line.

I was reading an article yesterday that said Qatar hope to have 60-65k hotel rooms ready in time for the world cup. It also said they expect some 2+ million visitors. I'm not a math expert but that doesn't add up for me. The luxury desert tents sounds pretty cool, but probably not at $2,000/night.

I was reading an article yesterday that said Qatar hope to have 60-65k hotel rooms ready in time for the world cup. It also said they expect some 2+ million visitors. I'm not a math expert but that doesn't add up for me. The luxury desert tents sounds pretty cool, but probably not at $2,000/night.

Did it mean 60-65K MORE hotel rooms? IDK, I doubt even if that's what they meant that they have enough already to make those calculations work out correctly.

Guess that means I'll be canceling my trip. Anyone want some tix?

Did it mean 60-65K MORE hotel rooms? IDK, I doubt even if that's what they meant that they have enough already to make those calculations work out correctly.

Guess that means I'll be canceling my trip. Anyone want some tix?

No, this was a total of 65k. I think they had 30k completed as of last fall. They're already tying entry visas to having a ticket, so they're keeping fans from showing up just to enjoy the festivities. Probably smart if they don't have enough hotels for even those with tickets, let alone the teams, press, etc that they have to house.

Something doesn't add up. Eight stadiums, so that's about 8,000 hotel rooms per stadium.

it becomes more farcical by the month

Yup, the only positive thing you can say about Qatar in this run up is they're better vaxxed than most countries at 90+%. And it's so much worse from a TV viewing perspective because now it's going to conflict with the NFL and college football instead of being played in June/July when the only thing to watch is golf and the NBA finals.

Yup, the only positive thing you can say about Qatar in this run up is they're better vaxxed than most countries at 90+%. And it's so much worse from a TV viewing perspective because now it's going to conflict with the NFL and college football instead of being played in June/July when the only thing to watch is golf and the NBA finals.

Kind of. It's going to make for earlier longer days. Games will be at 5am, 8am, 11am and 2pm EST.

The big conflicts will be Thanksgiving Friday USA-England at 2pm EST vs. the noon and 1:00 kickoffs and if the US wins Group B and plays on Sunday Dec 4 at 2pm. I could see the NFL flexing a few games to 4pm in that case.

It also sets up a dynamic where there's only a few months between the men's and women's World Cups similar to only a few months between the Summer and Winter Olympics.

Last edited:
And it's so much worse from a TV viewing perspective because now it's going to conflict with the NFL and college football instead of being played in June/July when the only thing to watch is golf and the NBA finals.

While this is absolutely a fair complaint, it's something that only matters for 1 out of the 32 countries involved in the World Cup. While the World Cup being in Qatar is a joke for many reasons, interfering with American football isn't important at all to any non-US country. While it may have a large impact on the US viewership of the World Cup, I doubt American football puts too big of a dent into viewership overall.

Back