• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

When you disrespect the anthem and flag of the country you represent, you deserve to lose---glad to see it ! go woke--go home!

When you disrespect the anthem and flag of the country you represent, you deserve to lose---glad to see it ! go woke--go home!
Can't tell if this is serious. Were you rooting against the USA?

i'm not looking to debate it...but i really am not understanding it. If the purse for an event is 1/2X why do people get the same pay as an event that has a purse for X? Is the argument that it's not their fault Women's Soccer has less Revenue?

I'm liking this Aussi team and will root for them over France. And we got a Sam Kerr sighting for 10:00, so she should at least play a half in the next game. And England going through on PKs isn't supposed to happen, especially after they got outplayed by Nigeria. At least Lauren James will miss the next 1-2 games for her Draymond Green/Marcus Vick imitation. Screw England. Will root for every other team remaining against them, including France.

And I'm getting tired of all this anti Rapinoe and USWNT venom. There are way too many people in this country who root against this team. Yes, Rapinoe stayed on 1 cup too long, just like Lloyd and Wambach did before her. And no, she shouldn't have played at all, but to me, that's a Vlatko thing. And yes, she has terrible taste in hair dyes, has a big ego and isn't overly self-aware. But she was also 1 of our best players in 2015 and 2019 and was easily our best set piece and PK taker. We probably don't win those 2 cups without her. And it's not like she's engaged in poor behavior off the pitch, like say Hope Solo. I'm a Wake and Ravens fan. John Harbaugh is a conservative Catholic, and I probably disagree with him about a lot of stuff, but I still pull for him and the Ravens because they're my home team. If you can't root for your country because you have different political beliefs than a few of our team's players, that's a you problem, not a USWNT problem.

There is no rational support for the women's world cup players getting paid the same as the men. It's all about revenue generation and not gender.

Why is Taylor Swift the highest grossing performer in 2023? Because more people go to her concerts and pay more money for tickets to see her perform. As a result, she should get paid more than any other performer male or female. The market decides who get paid the most. It would be outrageous to claim that a male performer who is not as popular get paid the same because he is male.

There is a reason why NBA players get paid more than WNBA players. NBA players generate far more revenue.

Seems like a Catch-22. If they don't get paid enough, how do you get the best athletes to compete and have the opportunity to grow the Revenue to be equal to that of the Men's game?

Do we have any social scientists on the board (although I know the summer months are super busy) who can give everyone a lesson on Equality vs. Equity???

5169mE+kQnL._SY498_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

There is no rational support for the women's world cup players getting paid the same as the men. It's all about revenue generation and not gender.

Why is Taylor Swift the highest grossing performer in 2023? Because more people go to her concerts and pay more money for tickets to see her perform. As a result, she should get paid more than any other performer male or female. The market decides who get paid the most. It would be outrageous to claim that a male performer who is not as popular get paid the same because he is male.

There is a reason why NBA players get paid more than WNBA players. NBA players generate far more revenue.
Refresh my memory. Didn't Stern and the NBA financially support the WNBA in the early years?

The average person can name far more NBA players than WNBA players. The average person could probably name way more USWNT players than USMNT players because the USWNT has been better and has more interesting personalities. Their pay is based on having been the best in the world. The USMNT gets paid based on playing against the best in the world. The USWNT has had the Ronaldos and Messis of the women's game.

Yeah, I wonder what that means for Henderson now that Forest apparently switched their focus to Turner.
one guy's take on Turner and what it means for Henderson. He sees Turner as the option to start the season until Henderson's transfer is sorted then Hendo as the 1 and Turner as the backup but pushing for Hendo's job if bad form or injury happens

Their pay is based on having been the best in the world. The USMNT gets paid based on playing against the best in the world. The USWNT has had the Ronaldos and Messis of the women's game.
This is a key point. The US men suck and ride coattails. Also, not sure why everyone assumes the men bring in more revenue - it's not that cut and dry.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2019/jul/11/does-us-womens-soccer-team-bring-more-revenue-get-/

The Taylor Swift argument makes zero sense. The men's and women's team both roll up to the USSF.

i'm not looking to debate it...but i really am not understanding it. If the purse for an event is 1/2X why do people get the same pay as an event that has a purse for X? Is the argument that it's not their fault Women's Soccer has less Revenue?
This is part of it, kind of, and also where the waters get a little muddy. For as long as the women's world cup has existed the TV rights were sold by FIFA as a kind of bonus to whoever won the broadcasting rights for the men's tournament. So it has historically been bid for the world cup and if you win it includes the broadcasting rights to the women's tournament too. This might have changed with this world cup(?), but I'm not sure.

The men's tournament is surely more valuable when you consider eyeballs on TVs. Part of the argument, though, is that there isn't really any data driving the thought that the women's world cup is valued at 1/3 of the men's world cup (using total prize money for this figure) when the media rights have never been sold in an open market. And if the prize money is being arbitrarily distributed by FIFA, then the federation should have some sort of equitable revenue sharing.

This is part of it, kind of, and also where the waters get a little muddy. For as long as the women's world cup has existed the TV rights were sold by FIFA as a kind of bonus to whoever won the broadcasting rights for the men's tournament. So it has historically been bid for the world cup and if you win it includes the broadcasting rights to the women's tournament too. This might have changed with this world cup(?), but I'm not sure.

The men's tournament is surely more valuable when you consider eyeballs on TVs. Part of the argument, though, is that there isn't really any data driving the thought that the women's world cup is valued at 1/3 of the men's world cup (using total prize money for this figure) when the media rights have never been sold in an open market. And if the prize money is being arbitrarily distributed by FIFA, then the federation should have some sort of equitable revenue sharing.
That and even within USSF, broadcast, licensing, and marketing rights are sold as a package with no way to disaggregate the data to see if the USWNT or USMNT drives that package.

This is a key point. The US men suck and ride coattails. Also, not sure why everyone assumes the men bring in more revenue - it's not that cut and dry.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2019/jul/11/does-us-womens-soccer-team-bring-more-revenue-get-/

The Taylor Swift argument makes zero sense. The men's and women's team both roll up to the USSF.

Men's World Cup purse for 2022 was $440 million

Women's World Cup purse for 2023 was $150 million, five times greater than 2019.

And, btw, the USMNT, who you just declared "suck," were eliminated in the same round as the USWNT.

Players from both teams get paid for more than World Cup performance, but the distribution from those matches should be based on the revenue received.

not quite apples to apples since the huge purse/revenue is not because of the USMNT, but because of Messi and Ronaldo and France etc

would USMNT get half the pot if they missed the 2022 tournament like they did in 2018?

not quite apples to apples since the huge purse/revenue is not because of the USMNT, but because of Messi and Ronaldo and France etc

would USMNT get half the pot if they missed the 2022 tournament like they did in 2018?

Of course it's not apples to apples. That's the point.

If the women want to get paid more, they should try to qualify for the men's WC, because that's where the money is.

Back