• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL Wake-Duke game thread

I didn't watch a single play. Did yard work instead. Expected a loss. Expectations were realized.

I don't think it would be possible for me to be any more apathetic about Wake sports than I am now.

Nice thing about yard work--you actually accomplish something and don't break stuff.

Nice thing about yard work--you actually accomplish something and don't break stuff.

I did yard work after the game to work out my frustrations. Just came in since it got dark.
I've managed some pretty serious work after games this year............and haven't broken anything either

My son's fall ball baseball team won today in its last game to go 10-0 on the season. I did not see one play of the Wake-Duke game. It's been a great day.

My son's fall ball baseball team won today in its last game to go 10-0 on the season. I did not see one play of the Wake-Duke game. It's been a great day.

You, sir, are a traitor. Baseball is not a fall sport. Watching Wake lose is football is, and that's where you need to be.

I did yard work after the game to work out my frustrations. Just came in since it got dark.
I've managed some pretty serious work after games this year............and haven't broken anything either

Man, it has been a looooooong time since a Wake sports loss has made me mad enough to want to break something. I don't ever expect anything but the mediocrity, so when something good unexpectedly (and rarely) happens, I can be pleasantly surprised. When the inevitable happens and we suck, well, it is usually what we deserve.

For example, the loss to La. Monroe this year--a few years ago a losing a game like that would have me in a furious, angry rage. Instead, when we dropped the tying 2-point conversion I just laughed and changed the channel.

It remains to be seen whether or not I'll ever get back the passion I used to have once the cancer that is Wellman is finally removed. I just don't know at this point.

Lady friend is an fsu grad so at least I get to be there when they curb stomp those smug bastards in charlotte

I think LOWF is a generational thing. Alumni over 40 are, in general, more accepting of LOWF. It's a product of lowered expectations from their time at Wake Forest in their younger years coupled with the values of their generation. They are more willing to bend over and accept mediocrity in the hope that hard work and perserverence will eventually reap benefits. They are currently the ones in power (ie have money) right now. Wellman is just catering to the audience that's in control of things.

There will be a gradual shift over the next 10-30 years. The sub 40 alumni will come into control as the older blue hairs die off. The under 40 crowd will be much less accepting of LOWF and will demand results. This will be partially because they experienced more consistent success in athletics during their younger formative days at Wake, and partially because Gen X and Y are less patient, think they are more special and will demand fast results. The crap Premiere Wellman is pulling now absolutely will not fly in 20 years.

It's very unfortunate Wake doesn't have a dot com under 40 stud now who is loaded who passionately cares about Wake sports.

Man, it has been a looooooong time since a Wake sports loss has made me mad enough to want to break something. I don't ever expect anything but the mediocrity, so when something good unexpectedly (and rarely) happens, I can be pleasantly surprised. When the inevitable happens and we suck, well, it is usually what we deserve.

For example, the loss to La. Monroe this year--a few years ago a losing a game like that would have me in a furious, angry rage. Instead, when we dropped the tying 2-point conversion I just laughed and changed the channel.

It remains to be seen whether or not I'll ever get back the passion I used to have once the cancer that is Wellman is finally removed. I just don't know at this point.

This is exactly how I feel as well. I used to hate I mean absolutely hate to miss watching a game. Used to listen to ALL of the coaches radio shows. Now not so much. Haven't listened to a coaches show at all this year. Maybe it's better for our health I don't know. The only thing that stinks is that bringing my 2 sons to the games with me has caused them to like Wake Forest and I'm not sure I want to torture them with this crap.

Lady friend is an fsu grad so at least I get to be there when they curb stomp those smug bastards in charlotte

They won't win in Chapel Hill. Look at their patsy schedule - 7 wins over teams with losing records. UNC is toughest game yet other than VT, which lost to Maryland at home). But if Duke gets past UNC, FSU might be sans Winston.

I think LOWF is a generational thing. Alumni over 40 are, in general, more accepting of LOWF. It's a product of lowered expectations from their time at Wake Forest in their younger years coupled with the values of their generation. They are more willing to bend over and accept mediocrity in the hope that hard work and perserverence will eventually reap benefits. They are currently the ones in power (ie have money) right now. Wellman is just catering to the audience that's in control of things.

There will be a gradual shift over the next 10-30 years. The sub 40 alumni will come into control as the older blue hairs die off. The under 40 crowd will be much less accepting of LOWF and will demand results. This will be partially because they experienced more consistent success in athletics during their younger formative days at Wake, and partially because Gen X and Y are less patient, think they are more special and will demand fast results. The crap Premiere Wellman is pulling now absolutely will not fly in 20 years.

It's very unfortunate Wake doesn't have a dot com under 40 stud now who is loaded who passionately cares about Wake sports.

Nice turn of phrase there. Speaking as one old geezer before I die off, I am just loving this program and completely comfortable with being a cellar dweller in football and a laughingstock in hoops.

I almost threw my phone early in the game when Ragland dropped his first (of many) pass.

In that split second I realized I didn't want to craft an elaborate lie to our office administrator on Monday about why I needed a new phone.

It was disgusting today. Most of the Duke fans around me were dry humping each other just like their basketball team does. Hell when Wake went up 14-0 in the first half one of the Duke guys behind said "oh well at least we still have basketball." Just a bad damn day all around. Feel bad for the seniors.

Aren't you supposed to be supportive, rain or shine, of our coaches and student athletes since we're in season and everything?

I have said, repeatedly, that I want our teams to win! I went to work early this morning so that I could drive over and arrive just prior to kick-off in order to see Wake win! However, I have also said that if coaches cannot win over time they should be fired! I support student athletes. I want them to win. It is my assumption that those who hire and pay coaches want the same thing. Therefore it is their responsibility to do something about coaches who persistently lose.

Supporting teams and wanting them to succeed is not incompatible with holding coaches accountable.

Will current students even care when they become old alums or will they be LOWF?

I missed 1 home game the last 16 years until this year...and I missed 3 this season. Now, moving to Louisville had a lot to do with that, but it really makes it hard to exert the effort and fork out the $ to travel to Winston when we are in route to our 5th straight losing season.

Part of me loves Wellman for the fact he's a total sociopath and pretty fucking smart.

Think about it...

He hires [Redacted] who knows how lucky he is to coach in the ACC so Bz will never be anything but totally loyal to Ron.

Grobe would get fired anywhere else but wants the payday and to protect Lobo's job. He's also indebted to Wellman.

Casstevens couldn't get a job as a manager at McDonalds with his background but Wellman gives him a nice 6 figure salary in return for his loyalty.

The rest of the management in the AD are relatively young Wake alums who want Ron's job and as such won't rock the boat.

Wellman kisses Hatch's ass, tells him how hard it is to win at Wake so even if Hatch decided he needed to make changes in the AD, Wellman has it so he'd have to completely overhaul the coaching staffs in both revenue sports as well as displace alums in the AD (some who are well connected).

Wellman also has the NCAA position which he can sell as a good thing for Wake's profile.

It's brilliant. Then Wellman sells a few big donors on culture and all of a sudden he's irreplaceable. He has no accountability, gets to work with his buddies/cronies and makes 7 figures. Fuck retirement, give me that job.

Caturday sums it up.

Back