• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL WAKE FOREST FOOTBALL v. ELON thread

Was supposed to have a baby on the 22nd. Stubborn little thing is still in no rush to greet the real world, so I definitely won't be at the game.
Isn’t this exactly the reason to still go? If you had a baby on the 22nd, you probably weren’t going with a nine day old…so if they still haven’t arrived by Thursday, I say you need to be there. Just don’t drink too much so you’re prepared to run out in decent shape if you get that phone call during the 2nd quarter.

Pete is the associate head coach and ST coordinator at South Carolina!

I think we made the right choice

A lot more, because you are competing against local Big Ten schools offering a shorter road trip and a stadium 2-3 times as large that allows them to offer a larger guarantee.

Most of these game contracts are public records if you want to compare the numbers. I'd imagine Elon is coming for a $350,000-$500,000 guarantee, and Ball State would ask for 7 figures minimum.

Makes sense.

Big Ten states don’t as high a concentration of FCS schools as ACC and SEC schools have. There are 12 in NC and SC. Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin have 11 combined.

Might be. Tropical system moving through Florida in the next couple days and a little unclear where it's going
August/September. Likelihood is very much for the Big Bend area for landfall if it doesn't get crushed by shear. Whatever happens it's going to be really wet from Tampa on North.

August/September. Likelihood is very much for the Big Bend area for landfall if it doesn't get crushed by shear. Whatever happens it's going to be really wet from Tampa on North.
Europe model says it'll run up the coast and head back into the ocean after Cape Fear, GFS says going through Atlanta

On the FBS/FCS thing, only 16 of 133 FBS teams will not play an FCS in 2023. And further note, of those 16, only 3 (UTSA, Liberty and VT) play 4 non-conference games instead of 3; in other words, Wake plays the same number of FBS non-conference games (3) that 130 of 133 FBS teams do.
Maybe a couple of these 16 "say no to FBS" schools schedule that way every year, but VT doesn't; went back 10 years and other than the covid season the last time they played a non-FBS was in 2016 vs. Liberty, who was in a transition year to FBS and likely put on the schedule as an FCS.
So it's fine to argue that Wake should play a more difficult FBS non-conference schedule, but to even suggest that Wake or any other FBS from Michigan down to Massachusetts should do away with their one FCS game per year just doesn't make sense given the way college football is constituted today. The exception would be if say a team like Alabama or Ohio State wanted to play us. in which case hell yes boot Elon or Campbell for the chance to play the Bulldogs or Buckeyes. But even then if I'm Currie and Clawson, I'm agreeing to it only as a home & away. If it's "small time" to play an FCS, then it's "big time" to expect a return home game from any fellow P5 opponent.

I’m not nearly as bothered by the Thursday night start against an FCS school than I am about the 11:00 AM kickoff against Vandy
I actually like the 11 AM kick. I’ll be back in the Triangle in time to have a nice Saturday night.

11PM update looks worse. On turf so maybe it'll still be good to go? Just might be a little wet in the stands
1693106660887.png

Love to see Vandy (at home) barely beating Hawaii who was 3-10 last season. Let's hope we look sharp by the 2nd quarter of the Elon game and keep it rolling for the next 10 quarters right over Vandy and ODU.

Was supposed to have a baby on the 22nd. Stubborn little thing is still in no rush to greet the real world, so I definitely won't be at the game.
You got to get on that c section train bro! First child was beached so had to and now each child after has to be c section. Scheduled the second baby at 1 pm August 10 and she was out at 1:10 pm.

My wife may have been gutted like a deer, but it sure was great for me!

A lot more, because you are competing against local Big Ten schools offering a shorter road trip and a stadium 2-3 times as large that allows them to offer a larger guarantee.

Most of these game contracts are public records if you want to compare the numbers. I'd imagine Elon is coming for a $350,000-$500,000 guarantee, and Ball State would ask for 7 figures minimum.

Neither school that is a party to this particular contract is public so there is no reason why the contract would be public.

Back