• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake - Wofford Game Thread

This loss was annoying more than anything. It was bad and Bz deserves blame but we got basically nothing out of the 2 spot and CJ averages 19 a game and is the focal part of the O. Now we have to slog through a week of this.

My lasting home game memories of the Joel are beating UNC and Duke in consecutive loud as fuck sellouts.

Now, it has fallen to watching the Joel janitors and 9 other poor souls watch us lose the ugliest basketball game played since Naismith explained the rules and held his first scrimmage.

Our point guard missed four open layups and threw an oop off the bottom of the rim. The bottom of the rim. THE BOTTOM OF THE RIM.

Not good.

You can't pay attention to Red Sox's standards, as they're ridiculously low in order to avoid real disappointment. Anyone who actually gives a shit about this program should be pretty upset about our current predicament. First we're comparing [Redacted] to Tom Crean rebuilding at IU, then we're comparing our attendance to Miami. People are taking crazy pills.
Fuck off. If you don't think I care about the program, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm trying to remain realistic about the current state of the program. That requires understanding how we got here, but not basing every opinion on a relative look with the past. It's the same bullshit we've gone through all season with Grobe, and the disappointment of a 6-7 season vs the inexplicable gratitude of a 6-7 season. This isn't the same Wake Forest team that was #1 a few years ago. If you want to say that the program's descent is on Bz, great, go for it. I don't believe it is. Either way, that's an entirely moot point when discussing where the team is right now. A loss to Wofford is bad. I said that. It is far from catastrophic when you consider the current ACC climate.

Like I said at the half, a good portion of the ACC has suffered miserable losses at home to mid-majors that they weren't supposed to lose to. Meanwhile, Wake won all of the games it was supposed to, and a couple that they weren't supposed to. This is the first time that we've been upset all year, and it was without our best player in the last non-conference game of the season. Is that really that embarrassing? Should we have played CJ to win, and risk injuring him? Do you really think Bz didn't realize that sitting CJ would have us struggle, that it'd mean playing Fields and possibly Ingle? Come on. It's a loss, and a bad loss, but it's not a top 3 loss in the conference this year, and most of you are acting like it's as catastrophic as the Stetson game last year.

That's what I mean when I say that nothing tonight should have convinced anybody of anything. Tonight is what it is. It's a bad loss that probably shouldn't have happened, but when you have the players that we have on this roster (a remarkably inconsistent TC, a useless Fields, an actively bad Nikita, and a very raw Green), it's not hard to see why it could have happened. The lack of depth here killed us, and TC and Carson getting into foul trouble made it even worse. This is where we are right now. Things are improving, both in this season's development and in next year's recruiting. It's going to get better. If you can't see that, it's probably because you've already made up your mind, and you don't want to.

This is absolutely idiotic scheduling as well. Jan 2 a Holiday with college football in NY day bowlk mode. Stupid stupid.

Is there anyone here that's against just trotting Chill out there with a wig and seeing how long we get away with it?

I actually liked a few of the coaching moves. The 2nd half press we put on them got us back in it. The end of game situation where they thought we weren't fouling and put it in the hands of a guy who shoots 50% from the line and we immediately fouled him worked perfectly.

But just look at the individual performances... Carson is our starting center, he was 0/1 for the game from the field against a tiny team, with zero points and TWO fucking rebounds. He absolutely deserves to be benched after that performance, which has to be his worst ever.

Chase - I love the kid, but after the opening layup he shot 0% from the field in a game where he knew he had to step up. Once cold, he threw in ONE assist. He was a black hole. As were Fields and Green who just affirmed what we all suspected - that we can survive a few minutes with them in the game but they cannot be a focus or we're screwed.

After that you just have the poor, not historically poor, performances by Nikita and Tony. At least Nikita hit a 3 so we could shoot 10% from deep instead of ZERO PERCENT. Tony had some good moments but as usual each were paired with a der moment of horrid decision making - most in critical situations like the moronic floater when Travis was on fire and the terrible pass to Ty.

At least Ty played better, and honestly he should probably start if it weren't for his history and the fact that he's a senior and Carson is here for 2 more years.

The one highlight was Travis. Love the fight, wish someone could have helped just a bit to give us the win.

Not sure I can remember such a disappointing collection of individual performances (not counting last year of course, when it was standard).

Red Sox, the difference between our view points is that I just don't give a shit about our 3 or 4 decent coaching moves in the 2nd half. The vast, vast majority of our offensive possessions were terribly coached, and that completely overshadows anything good that we did. I'm not talking about missed shots, or missed rebounds, or even the loss itself. The play calling, game managing, are generally mediocre at best, and fucking horrible at worst. Tonight was fucking horrible. Did TC, Chase, Fields, or Ingle try to throw the ball into the paint to Carson or Ty or Travis on the blocks, or at the nail. Hell fucking no. Why? That's coaching. With Travis, Carson, and Ty in the game at the same time, how many times did we intend on scoring in the post? Instead we passed around the perimeter with no shooters every fucking time down the court. How many possessions do you need to see Nikita flail his way to the rim after 20 wasted seconds, before you admit that Bzz is not making good use of his team, or running an intelligent offense? If the only advantage we ever have is size, Bzz needs to use it, instead of trying to shoehorn his fucking NBA gameplan onto our shitty team.

Last edited:
I actually liked a few of the coaching moves. The 2nd half press we put on them got us back in it. The end of game situation where they thought we weren't fouling and put it in the hands of a guy who shoots 50% from the line and we immediately fouled him worked perfectly.

But just look at the individual performances... Carson is our starting center, he was 0/1 for the game from the field against a tiny team, with zero points and TWO fucking rebounds. He absolutely deserves to be benched after that performance, which has to be his worst ever.

Chase - I love the kid, but after the opening layup he shot 0% from the field in a game where he knew he had to step up. Once cold, he threw in ONE assist. He was a black hole. As were Fields and Green who just affirmed what we all suspected - that we can survive a few minutes with them in the game but they cannot be a focus or we're screwed.

After that you just have the poor, not historically poor, performances by Nikita and Tony. At least Nikita hit a 3 so we could shoot 10% from deep instead of ZERO PERCENT. Tony had some good moments but as usual each were paired with a der moment of horrid decision making - most in critical situations like the moronic floater when Travis was on fire and the terrible pass to Ty.

At least Ty played better, and honestly he should probably start if it weren't for his history and the fact that he's a senior and Carson is here for 2 more years.

The one highlight was Travis. Love the fight, wish someone could have helped just a bit to give us the win.

Not sure I can remember such a disappointing collection of individual performances (not counting last year of course, when it was standard).

This is some pretty balanced and accurate evaluation of the game IMO. My complaint about the coaching is about how plays aren't run to get Chase wide-open shots instead of contested ones, how Tony's finishing at the rim hasn't improved, how NOBODY has told Nikita that he shouldn't be driving the lane, etc.

Not that it matters-except to my wallet-this was the last game I will travel to see. How in holy hell can we lose to a team such as Wofford? Why is it that we just appear to pass the ball back and forth while the other team appears to be running actual play? Why does our starting center begin the game hanging around the 3pt line and why don't we throw the ball inside to the other big guy.

No emotion and little coaching as far as I could tell.

Maybe next year....

There was a convention of people with multiple personality disorder in town?

Back