• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Oh, Claire

I guess this is what phan accused me of, "haranguing liberal Democrats", by just posting something ITC disagrees with. Fuck this noise.

Naw, but this is the obverse reaction to that: where people defend corrupt democrats because they feel they need to oppose you even where you're right.

Also, to be clear, I wasn't "accusing" you of anything. I was pointing out how (like the case of BKF and this board) some people will react to your evangelical self-righteousness by opposing whatever you say, no matter what it is. Not an accusation, but an observation.

Also, to be clear, I wasn't "accusing" you of anything. I was pointing out how (like the case of BKF and this board) some people will react to your evangelical self-righteousness by opposing whatever you say, no matter what it is. Not an accusation, but an observation.

Observation, who are you, Issac Fucking Newton?
23licmh.jpg

If you read the story (a tall task, I'm sure), the accusations (if they can be called that) are flimsy as shit.

Horseshoe theory again -- extreme right posts optics story for rubes and extreme left rubes run with it. Mutual back scratchers, they are.
You're an idiot. The St. Louis Dispatch has been reporting on the conflict of interest between Claire and her husbands investing for years. If you google "Claire McCaskill husband" you can find lots of older reputable articles, with some of the references going back to 2006. You might also check out the Kansas City Star's article:
https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article215234680.html

a stinging dart into the heart of capial...oh wait:

There’s no evidence that McCaskill played any part in directing federal funds to businesses affiliated with her husband.

The senator does not sit on committees that oversee the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development or the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the agencies that award affordable housing contracts and loans to developers and pay out the subsidies.

She has voted for some massive government spending bills that would have benefited affordable housing programs, but she also voted against others.

again, leveraging influence is the one of the darkest arts a politician can deal in. if she's implicated fuck her

You're an idiot. The St. Louis Dispatch has been reporting on the conflict of interest between Claire and her husbands investing for years. If you google "Claire McCaskill husband" you can find lots of older reputable articles, with some of the references going back to 2006. You might also check out the Kansas City Star's article:
https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article215234680.html

I had actually already read that article, and noted:

"There’s no evidence that McCaskill played any part in directing federal funds to businesses affiliated with her husband.

The senator does not sit on committees that oversee the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development or the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the agencies that award affordable housing contracts and loans to developers and pay out the subsidies.

She has voted for some massive government spending bills that would have benefited affordable housing programs, but she also voted against others."

I guess in this case, you are psyched about her voted against affordable housing programs, but pissed that she voted for some as well -- how dare she!

Also noted this:

"Shepard’s investment in affordable housing projects dates back to the 1970s, long predating his relationship with McCaskill, who he married in 2002.

Wyche provided data to show Shepard is far less involved in government housing projects than he was before he met McCaskill in 2001.

The total number of government housing projects that Shepard’s company Sugar Creek listed in 1999 was 285, Wyche said.

Shepard was the general partner in nearly all of the projects he was involved in back then, seeking investors and overseeing the design, construction and daily property management.

As of 2017, Shepard had become a limited partner in most of the 164 housing projects he was involved in, serving only as an investor, according to Wyche.

“Joseph Shepard’s work with federal affordable housing projects has decreased almost 40 percent since he met Claire in 2001, years before she was elected to the United States Senate,” Wyche said in a statement. “He is now a limited partner in the vast majority of these investments, meaning that he has absolutely no say in how the projects are run and any money that he receives is limited by law.”"

interesting that you would leave this out:

"The analysis showed that businesses Shepard is invested in are getting more federal awards, a fraction of which Shepard receives as personal income. Projects affiliated with Shepard were awarded $62 million in McCaskill’s first term and $69 million in her second term, for a total of more than $131 million.
Based on the data, it appears that a growing percentage of Shepard’s personal earnings come from new businesses he has invested in that are receiving federal awards, primarily rural rental assistance through the USDA."

"She and Shepard reported a net worth of between about $31 million and $37.5 million in 2017. That’s grown since Forbes reported their net worth in 2006 as between $13 million and $29 million."

Good to know that her husband is "only an investor" though, I was worried with his heart condition that he might be building the houses himself.

interesting that you would leave this out:

"The analysis showed that businesses Shepard is invested in are getting more federal awards, a fraction of which Shepard receives as personal income. Projects affiliated with Shepard were awarded $62 million in McCaskill’s first term and $69 million in her second term, for a total of more than $131 million.
Based on the data, it appears that a growing percentage of Shepard’s personal earnings come from new businesses he has invested in that are receiving federal awards, primarily rural rental assistance through the USDA."

"She and Shepard reported a net worth of between about $31 million and $37.5 million in 2017. That’s grown since Forbes reported their net worth in 2006 as between $13 million and $29 million."

Good to know that her husband is "only an investor" though, I was worried with his heart condition that he might be building the houses himself.

For someone who purports to be wildly in favor of subsidized housing, you seem to know jack about how it actually gets built. Here's a hint, it's kinda similar to the way conventional housing gets built, but the neighbors complain more.

For someone who purports to be wildly in favor of subsidized housing, you seem to know jack about how it actually gets built. Here's a hint, it's kinda similar to the way conventional housing gets built, but the neighbors complain more.

Umm, I am pretty sure subsidized houses are built by magic fairies who are paid in resistance farts.

While there may have been foul play, I don't see any evidence of such, nor do I know anything about potential other conflict of interest

However, as our accounting friends here certainly know, those reported income numbers are hard to actually decipher and are probably tangled up in a host of LLCs

Back