• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Oh heck yes. Last four minutes are gold.

You won't have to worry about him for long. Once he gets the school record for wins (I think he's 10 away), he's leaving.

Actually Spurrier said last week that he plans on coaching another 3 or 4 years. He likes the QB we have in place, likes the recruiting class coming in, and is very happy to have finally gotten us over the 'orange crush' hump. Plus I don't see him bailing on Lattimore. IF ML truly plans on staying all 4 years (momma insists he gets his degree; his knee may not be fully healed by next season), I expect Spurrier to honor his commitment to the program.

But all of this could change is the NCAA rears their ugly head.....

Actually Spurrier said last week that he plans on coaching another 3 or 4 years. He likes the QB we have in place, likes the recruiting class coming in, and is very happy to have finally gotten us over the 'orange crush' hump. Plus I don't see him bailing on Lattimore. IF ML truly plans on staying all 4 years (momma insists he gets his degree; his knee may not be fully healed by next season), I expect Spurrier to honor his commitment to the program.

As a scar fan, would you rather him stay or go? If I were a chicken fan I might actually want him to retire. He has built the program up, but is getting long in the tooth and might have plateaued.....

With the fan base, facilities, and money at scar I think they could get a pretty big name. And an up and comer as opposed to a retread. Maybe Gary Patterson, who fucking Clemson should have fucking hired. I can't imagine where we would be if we did the right thing and brought him in.....got bzzzzed.

Cool, I heard it from my relative who works for him and has worked for him for 20 years, but alright.

As a scar fan, would you rather him stay or go? If I were a chicken fan I might actually want him to retire. He has built the program up, but is getting long in the tooth and might have plateaued.....

With the fan base, facilities, and money at scar I think they could get a pretty big name. And an up and comer as opposed to a retread. Maybe Gary Patterson, who fucking Clemson should have fucking hired. I can't imagine where we would be if we did the right thing and brought him in.....got bzzzzed.

I think Charlie Strong would be a great hire.

Very good question, and I will try to answer without my garnet colored glasses on. I think the perfect scenario would be to hire a successor...a coach in waiting...who would assume the OC role and ultimately become HC. But as we all know, Spurrier doesn't roll with an OC. I don't know how long Ellis Johnson would stay onboard as DC after Spurrier retires, but he could be a bridge hire to maintain the coaching staff/recruits while a successor is sought. Is Mangus that candidate? I don't know. Had he not had that incident in Greenville I would have said yes. He's our top recruiter, has had proven experience winning as a HC, and knows his X's and O's. But how much ire does our BoT have against him...that's the biggest question. You can't hide from a mugshot.

I would love to have Gary Patterson, but honestly don't think he'll be available by 2013. Yes, we have the TCU connection, which could weigh heavily in our favor, but I foresee somebody stepping up before we can pay him some cash. And the past two 'retreads' have taken home team discounts up front. To the best of my knowledge we've never been a bidder for a HC (although I have no clue how much we paid Dietzel or Carlen to come here).

I think after the Horn experiment, our AD and BoT has to realize that Spurrier's successor cannot come from a mid major or live off of one or two quality wins. I think Spurrier has earned the right to choose when he's ready to retire, and we just have to sit and wait patiently while he restocks the cupboard.

Last edited:
I think Charlie Strong would be a great hire.

Charlie Strong won't be making a return appearance to Columbia anytime soon. That is a fact.

Well with the position he has them in now, im a little concerned about who they could replace him with. Going to columbia now wouldn't be anything like going to columbia 5 years ago.

Maybe they'll get hit with penalties though.....it's been pretty wild down there.

What's wild is a recruit being shown holding wads and wads of cash and no investigation following by the NCAA. Sound familiar? I only wish Yahoo Sports was as on top of things back then..

Very good question, and I will try to answer without my garnet colored glasses on. I think the perfect scenario would be to hire a successor...a coach in waiting...who would assume the OC role and ultimately become HC. But as we all know, Spurrier doesn't roll with an OC. I don't know how long Ellis Johnson would stay onboard as DC after Spurrier retires, but he could be a bridge hire to maintain the coaching staff/recruits while a successor is sought. Is Mangus that candidate? I don't know. Had he not had that incident in Greenville I would have said yes. He's our top recruiter, has had proven experience winning as a HC, and knows his X's and O's. But how much ire does our BoT have against him...that's the biggest question. You can't hide from a mugshot.

I would love to have Gary Patterson, but honestly don't think he'll be available by 2013. Yes, we have the TCU connection, which could weigh heavily in our favor, but I foresee somebody stepping up before we can pay him some cash. And the past two 'retreads' have taken home team discounts up front. To the best of my knowledge we've never been a bidder for a HC (although I have no clue how much we paid Dietzel or Carlen to come here).

I think after the Horn experiment, our AD and BoT has to realize that Spurrier's successor cannot come from a mid major or live off of one or two quality wins. I think Spurrier has earned the right to choose when he's ready to retire, and we just have to sit and wait patiently while he restocks the cupboard.

Hey Cap:

What do you think about the former gamecock db and current Mich St. coach Mike Dantonio? He's been at East Lansing about 5 years now and has taken them a pretty good ways. Do you think he'd step in down in Columbia if he got the call?

I'd love Gary Patterson, but I just don't see it unless he feels he's taken TCU as far as he can and wants a new challenge.

Didn't know strong was disliked down there.

Gary Patterson's team just got in a BCS conference. He's in it for the long haul.

Hey Cap:

What do you think about the former gamecock db and current Mich St. coach Mike Dantonio? He's been at East Lansing about 5 years now and has taken them a pretty good ways. Do you think he'd step in down in Columbia if he got the call?

I'd love Gary Patterson, but I just don't see it unless he feels he's taken TCU as far as he can and wants a new challenge.

His health problems will be a concern. He's a great coach, who historically had fielded a stout defense, but they don't want to have another Morrison 2.0 on their hands.

Didn't know strong was disliked down there.

Gary Patterson's team just got in a BCS conference. He's in it for the long haul.

Two sides to every story. Strong took off to UF looking for greener pastures. It was his choice to leave, and he will not choose to return. Lot of politics involved that I won't go into on here.....

Two sides to every story. Strong took off to UF looking for greener pastures. It was his choice to leave, and he will not choose to return. Lot of politics involved that I won't go into on here.....

Was he criticized for being married to a white woman?

The deal with Strong is indeed a messy situation.

his nickname around here is "3rd and Long" Charlie Strong because his defenses rountinely gave up first downs on 3 and 20 in crucial game situations. I'm not aware of the political stuff mentioned other than some old rednecks didn't like his marriage situation.

For anyone that is interested, #daboswinneyproblems is trending on Twitter and it's hilarious. Even if you have interest in the South Carolina/Clemson rivalry, it's pretty dang funny.
"Beamer calls Spurrier. How'd you beat Clemson? Simple. I used my 2nd string qb my 4th string rb and my point guard. #daboswinneyproblems"

Good stuff.

Spurrier is definitely in Dabo's head.

Wow. Just wow. Talk about taking the high road and showing class with those comments. What Dumbo might want to do is check his damn facts first. Did Spurrier specifically make the comment about LSU, Bama, and Clemson? NO.

Last time I checked, he is 1-3 against Spurrier and did absolutely nothing to contribute to Clemson's past success against South Carolina.

I hope he stays at Clemson for another 10 years.

and I hope this turns into a 1-9 streak. Clemsux! GO GAMECOCKS!

If WFU was ranked in the Top 5 in the BCS with 3 games to go, slated for a possible shot a National Championship and melted down like Dabo/Clemson did, especially to get hammered by their top rival SOUTH Carolina - Wake fans would lose their minds, can you imagine this board?!?!.........Dabo can't coach a Semi-Pro Team from Tarboro. Dabo needs to shut up and coach his team. Spurrier always wins the mind games.

If WFU was ranked in the Top 5 in the BCS with 3 games to go, slated for a possible shot a National Championship and melted down like Dabo/Clemson did, especially to get hammered by their top rival SOUTH Carolina - Wake fans would lose their minds, can you imagine this board?!?!.........Dabo can't coach a Semi-Pro Team from Tarboro. Dabo needs to shut up and coach his team. Spurrier always wins the mind games.

Oh there was definitely a meltdown, but he still has a shot at the BCS......beat VT and win the OB and everything but getting waxed by scar is forgiven. Lose to VT, then lose in the Chick Fil A bowl and the meltdown will hit epic proportions.

I go to graduate school down here at USC and there is a school newspaper called the "DaileyGamecock."
I grab the paper a couple days ago and engulf in the pearls of wisdom that spurrier had to say about the Clemson game.
And I quote "We are not a Bama or LSU, but we are probably the best defense behind those guys"...
But here is the kicker... he continued to say "We play in the SEC, we are not like the ACC, like Wake Forest or Maryland, no disrespect to those guys."

Had SOME respect for him before I read that, no none at all. Why point out paticulars?

Back