• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Oklahoma Tornados

Probably true, but they still have to dig them out...

Reports from KFOR that Plaza Tower elementary could have up to 70 students inside. 30 children have already been pulled out according to witness.

The logistics post-storm are mindboggling. As these students are released there are no homes to return to. War zone. Heart-breaking. I hope these storms are not headed toward us or anyone else next.

As a school professional, I have 35 years of practicing for this kind of thing. To see it played out on TV is especially chilling. Several years ago the Stoneville tornado passed near our school at dismissal. We returned the kids rapidly into the school to hunker down.

Last edited:
All kids at the Briarwood School have been accounted for, according to local Oklahoma station. School took a direct hit.

Just heard on the radio that a chief meteorologist somewhere described this as "the worst tornado in the history of the world."

The logistics post-storm are mindboggling. As these students are released there are no homes to return to. War zone. Heart-breaking. I hope these storms are not headed toward us or anyone else next.

So true, unfortunately

Probably true, but they still have to dig them out...

Reports from KFOR that Plaza Tower elementary could have up to 70 students inside. 30 children have already been pulled out according to witness.
Well it's better to have to dig them out alive than dead...

I hope these storms are not headed toward us or anyone else next.

Where are they headed next? Are they anticipated to cause issues in the Carolinas later this week?

I haven't been following the devastation or the storms, aside from facebook and email updates from friends and family. Thankfully all of them are safe.

Just heard on the radio that a chief meteorologist somewhere described this as "the worst tornado in the history of the world."

I thought I just heard that the NWS preliminary survey declared it an F4. Doesn't seem to jive with what we're hearing from the ground.

We lived in Norman for 7 years so I have some friends there. So far it looks like the ones that I keep in touch with are all good. Norman itself usually stays fairly untouched.

I would like to apologize for saying that 'OKC just got owned' following the tornado.

Apparently, SMUdeac felt that was inappropriate. So for all PC police, let me re-phrase, "OKC (actually just South of it) just got destroyed"... apologies SMU.

Have we just had an unusual 10 years of terrible natural disasters or are we just getting more media/video of it. Tsunamis, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. all seem more common in severity of strength recently.

I thought I just heard that the NWS preliminary survey declared it an F4. Doesn't seem to jive with what we're hearing from the ground.

The media has been reporting it erroneously. The NWS out of Norman said at least an F-4, its entirely possible it'll get bumped up.

Moore was leveled back in 99 too. Can't believe it happened to them again.

Have we just had an unusual 10 years of terrible natural disasters or are we just getting more media/video of it. Tsunamis, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. all seem more common in severity of strength recently.

I think we've just populated the affected areas enough to where every event is more destructive (in terms of property/lives) than it used to be.

The old scale lists an F5 tornado as wind speeds of 261-318 mph (419-512 km/hr), while the new scale lists an EF5 as a tornado with winds above 200 mph (324 km/h), found to be sufficient to cause the damage previously ascribed to the F5 range of wind speeds. None of the tornadoes recorded on or before January 31, 2007 will be re-categorized.

I think we've just populated the affected areas enough to where every event is more destructive (in terms of property/lives) than it used to be.

Yep. Plus the more stuff there is, the more debris there is to get caught up in the tornadoes and get tossed around.

In the past 10 years there's been that much population growth?

These forecast numbers are above the long-term average from 1950-2012 (12 named storms, 7 hurricanes, 3 major hurricanes) and slightly above the averages for the current active era from 1995-2012 (15 named storms, 8 hurricanes, 4 major hurricanes).

Hurricanes clearly are trending upwards, which isn't surprising given that the warmth of the water is a factor.

Tornadoes in the late 90's and 2000's seem to have been less, looking at a listing of all F5's, they generally happen every 4 years or so a few will pop up.

2 9.0 Earthquakes happenning (Malaysia & Japan tsunamis) within 10 years is very rare, as they should happen every 10-50 years.

Glad I don't like in the Midwest anymore. We had one, obviously not this severe, that touched down on our street and the main street two blocks from us. Even a small one like that did a ton of damage. Nothing more eerie IMO than the tornado siren in the middle of the night and trying to hustle everyone down to shelter.

Back