• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Oklahoma Tornados

Death toll now at 91.

just unimaginable. for so many people- it was just breakfast at home as normal, and then coming back to absolutely nothing. not even a mess to sort through- but literally nothing. terrible destruction; my heart goes out to the whole community.

I'm in Lawton, OK which is about an hour from Moore. We had a sunny day all day. No clouds, no wind. It's very difficult to comprehend that something so powerful happened so close by and we would have had no clue.

I'm always amazed at how little loss of life is lost in tornadoes, given the destruction of buildings you'd think the number would be in the thousands with how many structures get completely destroyed.

I'm always amazed at how little loss of life is lost in tornadoes, given the destruction of buildings you'd think the number would be in the thousands with how many structures get completely destroyed.

I read a quote last night where a meteorologist said tornadoes of the magnitude of yesterday are practically unsurvivable unless you're underground. When the interior "sturdy walls" crumble around you, there's little hope. The amount of destruction of this tornado compared to typical twisters is almost unfathomable. I heard that it was on the ground for 40 minutes and covered 20 miles before dissolving. That's absolutely crazy.

I read a quote last night where a meteorologist said tornadoes of the magnitude of yesterday are practically unsurvivable unless you're underground. When the interior "sturdy walls" crumble around you, there's little hope. The amount of destruction of this tornado compared to typical twisters is almost unfathomable. I heard that it was on the ground for 40 minutes and covered 20 miles before dissolving. That's absolutely crazy.

The amount of energy generated by this thing threw debris over 90 miles. Wow.

And the reports the children drowned at the elementary school. Horrible.

A bit of levity might be in order. My aunt posted this story on her FB about her mother/my grandmother. I think it puts into perspective just how much tornadoes are a part of life, particularly for a woman like my grandmother, who lived through the Great Depression out in the Dust Bowl. After something like this, it can be hard to understand, particularly for people who live on either of the coasts. Here's the story...

Thinking of being in town a few years ago when my mother was still alive. My girls on the sofa watching tv as the weather guy was tracking a funnel about a mile from the house heading down May Avenue our way. My daughter was terrified and I had opened all the windows..she ran in and awakened mother who said, "Oh honey, get me up if you're sure it's gonna hit the house." I miss home!

F that shit. I will never live anywhere but the Piedmont region of the East Coast, where the tornadoes and earthquakes can't get me and the hurricanes are minor annoyances.

Who took this video, Helen Hunt? What sort of an idiot keeps moving their car twenty feet instead of getting the hell out of there?
It's amazing how strong it gets in a matter of a few minutes. How far away do you think this guy is, a mile?

He wanted to be prepared to exit the parking lot in the appropriate direction relative to where the tor-nader was if it were to turn towards him.

I'm not sure the Piedmont is that safe...

AvgTornadoesbyState1981-2010.png

Back