• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Oklahoma Tornados

I honestly don't know if I could handle living there. Night of the Twisters was basically like my worst nightmare in book form....
If I did, a basement/shelter would be an absolute MUST for the house.

All kids at the Briarwood School have been accounted for, according to local Oklahoma station. School took a direct hit.

Schools are probably safer with a direct hit than a home that gets grazed.

Joplin, MO under a Tornado Warning now.

Spotter & radar showing a 1/2 mile wide tornado approx. 4 miles SW of Joplin.
Cell appears to be weakening and could possibly miss the town just to the South.

24 children trapped inside one of the schools. No longer a rescue mission, only recovery. Sickening to hear.

24 children trapped inside one of the schools. No longer a rescue mission, only recovery. Sickening to hear.

Yeah heard the same - around two dozen children killed (kindergarten to 3rd grade) in that building alone.

Death toll today is going to be high across the whole midwest region.

These stations better be on a delay or they are going to start showing dead children being pulled out of the rubble. Changing the channel. Ugh.

I honestly don't know if I could handle living there. Night of the Twisters was basically like my worst nightmare in book form....
If I did, a basement/shelter would be an absolute MUST for the house.

The soil might have something to say about whether or not you have a basement. The clay soil expanding and contracting is not conducive to basements. We don't have them in Dallas either.

Nothing more eerie IMO than the tornado siren in the middle of the night and trying to hustle everyone down to shelter.

Our tornado was a small one, but what stands out to me is the eerie silence afterwards. Not a bird, insect, or other animal made a single sound until sunrise the next day. Between that and hearing the sobs of people crying who lost their home, that's a night I'll never forget.

2013-May-20-21-12-12.jpg

So I'm watching one of last night's Family Guy episodes and this is the first line:

Stewie: Hey Brian, have you seen the remote? I want to watch the Weather Channel. There are tornadoes in the Midwest and I like watching poor people scramble to save what little they have.

The city of Moore has been damaged by significant tornadoes on October 4, 1998, May 3, 1999, May 8, 2003, May 10, 2010, and May 20, 2013.

Which begs the question, why the hell would you still live in Moore, Oklahoma.

Because the people who still remember those tornadoes all moved away and were replaced by people who don't.

On a more serious note, Moore is kind of a good location because it is close to Norman and close to OKC, the 2 big job centers in the area.

Back