• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OMG HURRRICANE!!!!!!!111!!!!1

seriously. nyc affiliates have been on the air for 24+ hours, even as this thing has fizzled.

My friend in Vienna, VA

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

We've got two huge oak trees down in our neighborhood in DC. Both hit houses and news crews have been outside my window for hours. Pretty crazy.

My mom says

"I think your dad is depressed that the weather isn't wilder. He's been watching TV (aka Hulu) for over 5 hours now with no signs of stopping! Without a shirt on!"

HAHAHAHA I can totally imagine him doing this. <3 dr. j

Our beach house made it through with no significant damage. My dad is heading down tomorrow morning to help out the neighbors, and see if the flooding did any damage. I had planned to go down next weekend to help with the cleanup, but it looks like I won't be needed. I'm anxious to see how things are on the Crystal Coast island once daylight comes tomorrow and the reporters are able to go out and about on the island.

My parents are going to try to drive down there after lunch today to see how our condo at Beacon's Reach fared. I saw some pictures somewhere online (maybe the Daily Reflector) and things on the island did not look good.

Our neighborhood doesn't seem too badly hit in NE DC. Lots of branches and leaves down, but have only seen one limb down. Power went out yesterday afternoon/evening at some point while we were out at a friend's house and then I think went out briefly in the middle of the night, but it's on now. Sun is starting to peak out but it's still windy.

Friends and parents in Richmond got hit pretty hard though. My mom posted pictures of numerous big trees down in their neighborhood, one smashing a garage and one a shed. Some friends had a big one take out part of their fence.

Where my friend's grandfather was sleeping when a tree collapsed on the hosue. He is ok.

219254.jpg

219253.jpg

In NYC on the UES. Doesn't look to have much damage here, tides may be a little high but otherwise we looked to have survived. The outer boroughs look to have gotten hit kind of bad.

Exactly why they need to build the new bridge the long way around Pea Island. That sand was not meant to have a road on it.

Exactly why they need to build the new bridge the long way around Pea Island. That sand was not meant to have a road on it.

Even if they built the causeway (long) solution, wasn't it set to come back on to existing 12 around Rodanthe (i.e. at the south end of Pea Island)?

ETA: For the record, I completely agree with you about roads on barrier islands. I'm just not sure that the Bonner replacement project was going to fill that bill.

Last edited:
Thankfully this was just the equivalent of an above-average thunderstorm!

:skins

Thankfully this was just the equivalent of an above-average thunderstorm!

:skins

You live on a glorified sandbar, swamp or low-lying beach vicinity in a hurricane prone area, you'll have these things.

Just like people in Oklahoma shouldn't be surprised when hail the size of their fist smashes the roof of their car. Or people in Michigan get snowed in. Or people in North Dakota get frostbite if they don't dress for -50 windchills.

Water erodes things...who knew?

Just like you shouldn't be surprised when people call you a giant douchebag.

Back