• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OMG HURRRICANE!!!!!!!111!!!!1

From Atlantic Beach:

Dear Atlantic Beachers,

Last night was a rough night for our great little beach town. It was the worst night we’ve experienced during the 11 years I’ve served as Mayor. Although I had posted some positive updates based on what I saw just before dark, Hurricane Florence did not let up through the night and has not let up any today.

Our town has experienced some damage, but Atlantic Beach is still here. And, it’s not going anywhere anytime soon.

We are still in the middle of a hurricane and will continue to deal with this storm for, at least, the rest of today. So, it is too early to make any final assessments about the damage to town. We do, however, want to give you a brief update.

• Almost all the buildings in town—homes, businesses and mobile homes-- are going to be fine. There are a lot of missing shingles and a bunch of missing siding, but we’ve witnessed very few examples of broken windows or serious structural failings. The town is a mess, but for most people it will just be a matter of cleaning up.

• There has been significant damage to some commercial buildings in town—mostly in the center of town, along the Causeway and around Town Hall. The canopy at the Scotchman has blown over and the Circle K has lost a couple gas tanks. The Pacific beachwear store is probably the most heavily damaged structure—its glass front was blown in.

• The dry stack boat storage facility at the Crow’s Nest Marina was seriously damaged on one side (the side facing the AB Causeway). But, most of the boats on the outside racks seem to be fine and I expect most of the boats inside the dry stack are fine. Similarly, we only saw minor damage to boats parked around the Fort Macon Marina dry stack building.

• Some businesses have lost their roof covering but seem to be structurally sound. These include the Crab’s Claw, Hi-Lites and the Windjammer Inn.

• There is a lot of street flooding and the rain continues to pour down, so we expect it will get worse, especially as the tide comes in. The area around Charlotte, Durham and Cedar is flooded. It appears the water has probably risen high enough to get inside homes that are built on a slab. There may be a foot or two of standing water in that area. It is unlikely it will drain until the wind, rain and tides subside.

• A large number of business signs and many street signs have blown over. Street lights are down throughout town and Town Hall and our Fire Station have sustained some damage—it is now raining in our lobby.

• Despite making it through the first day of the storm in good shape, it appears the end of the Oceanana Pier and the Barnacle Bar have been lost. The Oceanana Motel and trailer park seem to be decent shape.

• One camper at Triple ESS Marina has overturned, but the remaining campers and mobile homes seem to be intact.

• The mobile homes in Coastal Mobile Estates seem to be in good shape. In fact, the flooding in that area on the west end of town is less of an issue today than it has been during non-hurricane events.

• The homes and businesses around the Circle are all in good shape with apparently minor damage. It does not look like the waves came across the seawall, so far.

• The water levels in the sound, canals and ponds is very high. Many docks are underwater. We have not had a chance to inspect any of these, but if your dock was damaged during recent storms, it will likely be damaged again.

• There are a lot of downed power lines and trees. It is not easy or safe to drive through town at this time and we will need to clean this stuff up before we allow re-entry to anyone.

Throughout the storm the entire full time staff of the AB Police Department and AB Fire Department has been on site keeping an eye on your town and ready to respond to any emergency. Similarly, our Public Service director and the leader of our water department have been working around the clock to ensure that our drinking water supply is safe and ready for you when you return to the island. They are all rock stars. We are lucky to have them.

We will be completing more detailed damage assessments later today as the weather allows. I’ll do my best to keep the updates coming and when it is safe to do so, we’ll get out to take videos of the town and post them on our Facebook page so that you can see how your street fared.

It is hard to see a place you love damaged by a storm. But much of the damage is minor. Atlantic Beach is strong. Atlantic Beach is resilient. Atlantic Beach will be just fine.

Your Mayor,
Trace Cooper

41691807_10155861010487794_4675375001833046016_n.jpg

41746994_10155861010527794_5639212254860673024_n.jpg

This thread has been remarkably quiet today. I guess people like the forecasting and speculating most.

Piedmont forecasters are saying the Yadkin River will crest at 12ft over flood stage. In my nearly 40 years, I've never seen it that high. Luckily, we're still a good 60 feet above flood stage, so we should stay dry.

Piedmont forecasters are saying the Yadkin River will crest at 12ft over flood stage. In my nearly 40 years, I've never seen it that high. Luckily, we're still a good 60 feet above flood stage, so we should stay dry.

When is that supposed to happen?

so far a big non-event in the triad. possibly will get worse over night, it depends on when she begins to turn north and whether we catch some of the big rain bands on the back side. still have power knock on wood.

so far a big non-event in the triad. possibly will get worse over night, it depends on when she begins to turn north and whether we catch some of the big rain bands on the back side. still have power knock on wood.

Tomorrow looks to be worse than today but it looks like the worst that’ll happen is flooding in flood prone areas and loss of power. Two of my coworkers lost power last night. Dunno how that happened.

Back