• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OMG HURRRICANE!!!!!!!111!!!!1

Tomorrow looks to be worse than today but it looks like the worst that’ll happen is flooding in flood prone areas and loss of power. Two of my coworkers lost power last night. Dunno how that happened.

we lost power three times yesterday when the winds were whipping around more. the last time it stayed off for about 1 or 2 hours but it came back on and has stayed stable since. hoping Flo stays south and doesn't send more wind up here.

So driving around New Bern today and things are pretty messed up. Awful flooding. Lots of people needed rescuing. Power out almost everywhere. Trees down everywhere. My house did not flood but took a huge tree on the roof, which thankfully, did not puncture the roof.

So driving around New Bern today and things are pretty messed up. Awful flooding. Lots of people needed rescuing. Power out almost everywhere. Trees down everywhere. My house did not flood but took a huge tree on the roof, which thankfully, did not puncture the roof.

Glad to hear your home is ok, sounds like New Bern got wrecked! The images from your area are devastating. Here in Pfafftown we lost power for about 30 minutes, but they got it back on quickly- that's a record for us! We lose power on breezy days so am sure that we will be without as soon as the heavier wind and rain arrive. Heard that a lot of New Sherwood just lost power a few minutes ago...

This could be interesting. The record was from 1916 great flood. There were a few hurricanes back to back in the span of a couple weeks. My great grandmother talked of it when we were growing up.
4801daf779687345ece0d2cfa30263e4.jpg

This could be interesting. The record was from 1916 great flood. There were a few hurricanes back to back in the span of a couple weeks. My great grandmother talked of it when we were growing up.
4801daf779687345ece0d2cfa30263e4.jpg

While this is incredibly high water, there is very little infrastructure near the water monitor at Yadkin College. There are farms, with bottom land fields, but the farm houses and barns are high on a bluff. The Yadkin lakes are going to be muddy messes for a while, but with the dams from Wilkesboro to below Davidson County, thankfully, the Yadkin does not have the disasterous floods of the past.

I am covering the storms in eastern NC, currently in a hotel in Greenville, and its a mess from here to New Bern and beyond. We can't get past New Bern, and I fear the road closures and detours from flooding are going to make it an interesting trip back toward the Triad. I just want to get on the North and Western sides of a couple of rivers so we can get home when our time comes.

While this is incredibly high water, there is very little infrastructure near the water monitor at Yadkin College. There are farms, with bottom land fields, but the farm houses and barns are high on a bluff. The Yadkin lakes are going to be muddy messes for a while, but with the dams from Wilkesboro to below Davidson County, thankfully, the Yadkin does not have the disasterous floods of the past.

I am covering the storms in eastern NC, currently in a hotel in Greenville, and its a mess from here to New Bern and beyond. We can't get past New Bern, and I fear the road closures and detours from flooding are going to make it an interesting trip back toward the Triad. I just want to get on the North and Western sides of a couple of rivers so we can get home when our time comes.
Best of luck getting back home when the time comes. I can't imagine the time those crews in Wilmington will have trying to get back, especially if 40 and 95 remain closed for a few days/weeks.

We live on a bluff overlooking the Yadkin about a mile and a half above the gauge. Luckily, our house is 80 feet or so above the river. We've got a shed down in the bottoms. I've seen the water come up and into the shed, but my grandfather talked of two times in the past that the water got high enough to lift the shed from it's pilings and float it downstream.

Came up to my folks’ place in Rockingham County to weather the storm here; no clue when I’ll get back to Wilmington to see how the house fared. Got some pics from a neighbor yesterday morning and there was already quite a bit of water in the back yard and trees down all around the house (thankfully nothing on the house at that point.)

The satellite truck made it back to W-S this afternoon. He left Wilmington at 6am and made it through before the road closures. The Wilmington crew didn't get through in time and had to turn back to Wilmington. My guess is there will be a big military airlift of supplies to the choked off portions of our state. That happened during Hurricane/Flood Floyd. We made it to Kinston for today, the Neuse is very high, but the bridge in and out of town is open for now.

It’s dumping in Winston right now. My front yard went from damp to a lake over the last hour.

Just how much of 95 is closed in NC? I see a bunch of "strong advisories" to avoid the whole thing-have they not gotten around to finalizing what should be closed yet?

So they close schools early on Thursday and call them Friday for Guilford County when the storm doesn't even get here until Sunday.

Today, when there is flooding and actually some hazard to running buses? Two hour delay.

So they close schools early on Thursday and call them Friday for Guilford County when the storm doesn't even get here until Sunday.

Today, when there is flooding and actually some hazard to running buses? Two hour delay.

Same thing in Forsyth. And we are under a Flash Flood Warning.

Just how much of 95 is closed in NC? I see a bunch of "strong advisories" to avoid the whole thing-have they not gotten around to finalizing what should be closed yet?

All of it. They've closed it off at the SC border and are only allowing emergency personnel to enter the state. Now, once you're in the state portions may be open, but travel up and down the east coast on 95 has come to a stop.

Last edited:

Closed now.

Just started to relax with all the rain and woke up to about an inch of water in the basement.

So Richmond and Central VA are getting hit with Florence tornadoes.

Always some idiot with a camera "holy shit lookit all this sharp debris flying around my head!"

Last edited:
Back