• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread - Belk Bowl

I mean beyond the top 4 or 10 how much is the committee really weighing the rankings. Like there's no way they're gonna sit down and be like well Wake beat NC State, so we will rank them higher. they're just gonna throw 15 more teams on there to round it out then go on with their day.

I agree not a lot of time would be spent on it, but IMO ranking Wake higher than State b/c they beat them seems like an easy type of solution they might come up with

So with ACC getting two in, Obviously Clemson needs to beat Miami, probably in a close game.

Assuming #4 Oklahoma wins out and gets 1 spot. #1 Alabama wins out, eliminating #6 Auburn from discussion

#5 Wisconsin loses to #9 Ohio State. I think you take Miami over Wisconsin, considering you had Miami ranked ahead of Wisconsin when both were undefeated

AS for Ohio State. Do you jump #9 Ohio State, with 2 losses, after beating #5 Wisconsin, over #3 Miami, with 1 loss, after losing to #2 clemson....I don't think you do.

#7, and 1 loss Georgia, who will only have a win over Ga Tech, Not sure if they jump a 1 loss Miami team.
#8 ND is likely not a candidate to move up over Miami, considering Miami thrashed them.

I think 1 loss Miami getting in as #4 team is a real possibility.

It is weird that we have two meaningless rankings most of the year then all of a sudden everyone switches to a different ranking that extremely important through the Top 10 and extremely meaningless after that. And it can be argued that it's not even that important in the Top 10 because things get switched around if the results don't turn out as expected.

I'm rooting for Clemson and Miami to make it for our bowl purposes, but it makes sense for the conference championships to be play-in games.

So with ACC getting two in, Obviously Clemson needs to beat Miami, probably in a close game.

Assuming #4 Oklahoma wins out and gets 1 spot. #1 Alabama wins out, eliminating #6 Auburn from discussion

#5 Wisconsin loses to #9 Ohio State. I think you take Miami over Wisconsin, considering you had Miami ranked ahead of Wisconsin when both were undefeated

AS for Ohio State. Do you jump #9 Ohio State, with 2 losses, after beating #5 Wisconsin, over #3 Miami, with 1 loss, after losing to #2 clemson....I don't think you do.

#7, and 1 loss Georgia, who will only have a win over Ga Tech, Not sure if they jump a 1 loss Miami team.
#8 ND is likely not a candidate to move up over Miami, considering Miami thrashed them.

I think 1 loss Miami getting in as #4 team is a real possibility.

Georgia and Alabama will play in the SECCG, so either they'll have 2 losses or come in with a win over #1.

It is weird that we have two meaningless rankings most of the year then all of a sudden everyone switches to a different ranking that extremely important through the Top 10 and extremely meaningless after that. And it can be argued that it's not even that important in the Top 10 because things get switched around if the results don't turn out as expected.

I'm rooting for Clemson and Miami to make it for our bowl purposes, but it makes sense for the conference championships to be play-in games.

That's why the playoff should be 6 with two byes or 8 with no byes. There are 5 power conferences. Like every other NCAA tourney, winning your conference should result in an automatic bid. Then, the committee and fans can debate who gets the 1 or 3 at-large berths, but agree that it is BS to win your conference and get jumped by a team that does not win its conference (like tOSU last year getting in ahead of Penn State and the Big 12 conference champ).

Georgia and Alabama will play in the SECCG, so either they'll have 2 losses or come in with a win over #1.

A lot of people think Auburn will beat Bama and play in the SECCG.

YEP my bad. for some reason I was thinking Auburn/Alabama was the SEC title game.

SO Bama beating Auburn and then Georgia is a must. Or SEC likely gets 2 in. ALthough not sure what would happen if Auburn beat Bama, then lost to Georgia, after beating Georgia by a lot a few weeks prior. chaos.

Last edited:
A lot of people think Auburn will beat Bama and play in the SECCG.

That would be bad for the Deacs. Auburn or UGA would still certainly go as SEC champ. This scenario actually gets kind of crazy, especially if Wisconsin, OU, and Clemson win out. You could make a very real case that Bama misses the playoff here, as they would only have 2 top 25 wins (0 top 10) and no conference championship.

That's why the playoff should be 6 with two byes or 8 with no byes. There are 5 power conferences. Like every other NCAA tourney, winning your conference should result in an automatic bid. Then, the committee and fans can debate who gets the 1 or 3 at-large berths, but agree that it is BS to win your conference and get jumped by a team that does not win its conference (like tOSU last year getting in ahead of Penn State and the Big 12 conference champ).

That depends on whether your objective is to get the four best teams in or the ones who have earned their way their.

But I agree with you. Win a P5 championship and you should be in. Add three at-large teams and make it an eight team playoff.

I'm for 6. Five P5 champs and the top ranked G5 conference champ. ND takes the G5 spot if they're Top 6. Kick off the bowl season with #3 vs. #6 and #4 vs. #5 two Saturdays before Christmas (or the 18th if Christmas is on Saturday). Play the #1 vs. 4/5 and #2 vs. 3/6 in the current CFP slots. Keep the championship game the same.

This wouldn't change the current system too much and essentially makes it a 12 team tournament.

Last edited:
I mean beyond the top 4 or 10 how much is the committee really weighing the rankings. Like there's no way they're gonna sit down and be like well Wake beat NC State, so we will rank them higher. they're just gonna throw 15 more teams on there to round it out then go on with their day.

If it means the highest ranked team goes to the Orange Bowl you'd better believe that they'll spend some time on it and the powers that be will have some influence.

If it means the highest ranked team goes to the Orange Bowl you'd better believe that they'll spend some time on it and the powers that be will have some influence.

That's when we send in Don Ron to seal the deal.

Haha. I originally forgot about ND. I changed it to 7 teams and made it top two G5 or top G5 + ND. Then I thought about it again and that was ridiculous. Most seasons there aren't two G5 teams worthy of a slot. Let ND earn their way in with a Top 6 finish to beat out a 0 or 1 loss G5 champ. But I forgot to change "two" back to "one."

My apologies for your inconvenience.

Right so the committee probably doesn't care the order of the last 15. Like whether Mississippi State is vs. Memphis or whatever. They probably hear from the OB folks hey we'd prefer Va Tech FYI.

Last edited:
I'm for 6. Five P5 champs and the two top ranked G5 conference champ. ND takes the G5 spot if they're Top 6. Kick off the bowl season with #3 vs. #6 and #4 vs. #5 two Saturdays before Christmas (or the 18th if Christmas is on Saturday). Play the #1 vs. 4/5 and #2 vs. 3/6 in the current CFP slots. Keep the championship game the same.

This wouldn't change the current system too much and essentially makes it a 12 team tournament.

And if Bama lost to Auburn this week, an 11-1 Bama team would not be part of that tournament. I think going to 8 and having 2 at large teams would not prevent a top 3 or 4 bama team in the final rankings, even after losing to Auburn, able to get in the playoff.

And if Bama lost to Auburn this week, an 11-1 Bama team would not be part of that tournament. I think going to 8 and having 2 at large teams would not prevent a top 3 or 4 bama team in the final rankings, even after losing to Auburn, able to get in the playoff.

It depends on if you think of the conference championships as the first round of the playoff or not. The most efficient plan is for only champs to move into the CFP. At-large bids allow teams that didn't win their championship to slip in.

My understanding is that there is a Wake rep for each bowl that has a relationship with the ACC. I live in DC and played football at Wake so it made sense for me to serve in this role. I especially like the Military Bowl because of its mission to serve those who have served.

Well, great job on the sales pitch last year. Music City has been my favorite so far but Annapolis is definitely a great option in most years. Last year was awesome.

Back