• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread - Belk Bowl

I'm rooting for UVA on Fri night. If Clem and Miami make the playoff the next highest CFP ranked ACC team goes to the OB. Who knows how the committee would rank a cluster of 8-4 teams, and we have played a very difficult schedule and have beaten both State and Louisville H2H. We'd absolutely have a decent argument.

The Belk Bowl is always a possibility when we have a bowl-worthy season. The Orange Bowl, slightly less so

I'd think NC State might go in that case with a win over Carolina and being 8-4. Or 8-4 Louisville, featuring a Heisman winner, or they stick with 8-4 Va Tech. IF Lou, Va Tech, NC State all lose, and Miami and Clemson make playoff, I could see us in Orange Bowl.

In addition to a WF win over Duke, it would take a series of upsets for WF to get into the OB discussion, and even then, the OB would likely still decide take someone else.

FWIW, think this could be the year when UVA beats VT (VT has won 13 straight, but the Hokies wins aren't great), but don't see Louisville losing to KY, and really don't see UNC beating State (also, while possible, the chance of both Miami and Clemson making the playoff are not great). Don't buy your plane tickets to Miami yet.

Last edited:
That GA Tech or FSU win would have been nice!

In addition to a WF win over Duke, it would take a series of upsets for WF to get into the OB discussion, and even then, the OB would likely still decide take someone else.

It's purely supposed to be decided by the CFP rankings, not who the OB wants.

Not ruling out that the rankings could be affected by who the OB wants though, given the general sleaziness of the bowl process

It's purely supposed to be decided by the CFP rankings, not who the OB wants.

Not ruling out that the rankings could be affected by who the OB wants though, given the general sleaziness of the bowl process

Even if everything falls exactly in our favor, the committee would have to place an 8-4 Wake team ahead of an 8-4 Va Tech team, knowing the implications. Not happening. a 9-3 Wake Team (DAMN FSU and Ga Tech), would almost certainly have that opportunity with a Va Tech loss.

Even if everything falls exactly in our favor, the committee would have to place an 8-4 Wake team ahead of an 8-4 Va Tech team, knowing the implications. Not happening. a 9-3 Wake Team (DAMN FSU and Ga Tech), would almost certainly have that opportunity with a Va Tech loss.

But it would be a VT team who lost 3 of 4 with their only win being by Pitt over 6 vs. a Wake team who won 4 of 5 with the only loss being at ND by 11.

But it would be a VT team who lost 3 of 4 with their only win being by Pitt over 6 vs. a Wake team who won 4 of 5 with the only loss being at ND by 11.

I understand why we should or could be ranked ahead of them. I just don't think it happens.

Our losses to #2 clemson, #3 ND, Georgia Tech, and FSU.
Va Tech losses to #2 Clemson, #10 Miami, Georgia Tech and Virginia.

So both teams lose to 2 top 10 teams, Georgia Tech, and comparable teams FSU and Virginia. 3/4 losses for both teams on the road. Each have 1 win over top 25, Wake #19 NC State, Va Tech #22 WVU.

Comparable Opponents.
Both lost to Clemson by 14. Wake @ clemson, Va Tech at home.
Both beat BC @ BC, Wake by 24, Va Tech by 13
Both lost to Ga Tech @ Ga Tech, Wake by 14, Va Tech by 6
Both beat Duke at home, Va Tech by 21, Wake by???

Except for looking at last 4 games, I think the resume's are almost identical. I just can't see LOWF getting the nod over Va Tech.

*Rankings when played, not current.

Last edited:
Does wake have a "bowl rep" for each bowl? Only ACC bowls, or any bowl wake could possibly get invited to? Are you the liaison/advocate between wake and that particular bowl?

My understanding is that there is a Wake rep for each bowl that has a relationship with the ACC. I live in DC and played football at Wake so it made sense for me to serve in this role. I especially like the Military Bowl because of its mission to serve those who have served.

My understanding is that there is a Wake rep for each bowl that has a relationship with the ACC. I live in DC and played football at Wake so it made sense for me to serve in this role. I especially like the Military Bowl because of its mission to serve those who have served.

Awesome!

I'd love to know who the bowl reps are for each bowl.

And if our Gasparilla Bowl rep needs any help. (yes, we have a Gasparilla Bowl tie that I hope Wake doesn't have to use)

I understand why we should or could be ranked ahead of them. I just don't think it happens.

Our losses to #2 clemson, #3 ND, Georgia Tech, and FSU.
Va Tech losses to #2 Clemson, #10 Miami, Georgia Tech and Virginia.

So both teams lose to 2 top 10 teams, Georgia Tech, and comparable teams FSU and Virginia. 3/4 losses for both teams on the road. Each have 1 win over top 25, Wake #19 NC State, Va Tech #22 WVU.

Comparable Opponents.
Both lost to Clemson by 14. Wake @ clemson, Va Tech at home.
Both beat BC @ BC, Wake by 24, Va Tech by 13
Both lost to Ga Tech @ Ga Tech, Wake by 14, Va Tech by 6
Both beat Duke at home, Va Tech by 21, Wake by???

Except for looking at last 4 games, I think the resume's are almost identical. I just can't see LOWF getting the nod over Va Tech.

*Rankings when played, not current.

Ehh, in this scenario, Louisville is also a lot better than any other team they would have beaten, plus WF would be playing much better at the end of the year. I think there's a possibility that the committee doesn't rank either team, but WF would be the higher ranked of the two. If no other ACC teams are ranked in the CFP rankings, I believe I was told it goes to the polls? Really weird/unlikely situation either way.

Ehh, in this scenario, Louisville is also a lot better than any other team they would have beaten, plus WF would be playing much better at the end of the year. I think there's a possibility that the committee doesn't rank either team, but WF would be the higher ranked of the two. If no other ACC teams are ranked in the CFP rankings, I believe I was told it goes to the polls? Really weird/unlikely situation either way.

Definitely weird. It's likely that a team not in the CFP won't be in the polls either.

Do we have any sort of confirmation/information online showing where a 6-6 team can now jump an 8 win team (or 7 win over 9, etc)? As recent as 2015, they could not, but I can't find anything more recent than that.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article48473810.html

I found this expanded explanation in an earlier article from the same author. It describes something even more complicated:

"The ACC did away with the “Boston College rule,” which prevented a 6-6 team from jumping a team with an 8-4 record or better in the bowl process, at least for everyone but Notre Dame.

But there’s still a provision which would keep the 6-6 Wolfpack or Tar Heels from getting into the first tier. If four teams finish 8-4 or better, which is likely, then a 6-win team can’t be selected for a first-tier game ahead of those 8-win teams."

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article10130396.html

I'm frustrated that this isn't just laid out on the ACC's website. Why not be transparent about this? It's odd that we need to piece together info from various websites to try to get a complete picture.

I found this expanded explanation in an earlier article from the same author. It describes something even more complicated:

"The ACC did away with the “Boston College rule,” which prevented a 6-6 team from jumping a team with an 8-4 record or better in the bowl process, at least for everyone but Notre Dame.

But there’s still a provision which would keep the 6-6 Wolfpack or Tar Heels from getting into the first tier. If four teams finish 8-4 or better, which is likely, then a 6-win team can’t be selected for a first-tier game ahead of those 8-win teams."

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article10130396.html

I'm frustrated that this isn't just laid out on the ACC's website. Why not be transparent about this? It's odd that we need to piece together info from various websites to try to get a complete picture.

That article is from 2014, so it sounds like they reinstated the "Boston College rule" in 2015, from the earlier article I posted. But yes, it's mind boggling that all of the rules/criteria aren't published somewhere by the ACC.

May have been mentioned but the OB must take the highest ranked ACC team in the CFP rankings that doesn’t make the playoffs. The only subjectivity is the ranking

We also beat App State on a blocked field goal (who lost to UMASS and UL Monroe). Va Tech doesn't have any close wins to bad teams. SO maybe the UL win and App win are a wash. But splitting hairs. I think winning last 3, and 4 of last 5 compared to losing 3 of last 4 should be the tie breaker. So I'm on board with thinking we should get in over VA Tech, but I still don't think it happens.

May have been mentioned but the OB must take the highest ranked ACC team in the CFP rankings that doesn’t make the playoffs. The only subjectivity is the ranking

Been mentioned. The discussion is based on the possibility there is no 3rd ACC team in the CFP rankings.

Back