• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread - Belk Bowl

In 2005, NC State played there vs South Florida. attendance = 57,000

When Wake played there in 2007 vs UCONN, attendance = 53,000.

I think UCONN probably would have less fans than SoFla, given their program wasn't D1 too long before that. But those are comparable opponents.

Not sure if 4,000 tickets really gives NSUC an edge. It might?

And the Charlotte Bowl has taken UNC, Cincinnati, and UVA back to back years. SO I'm not sure NC State playing there in 2015 will matter much.

IIRC, uppers for that game were about $50, so that's an increase of over $200K in revenue which isn't a small amount.

Any back to back rule could easily backfire against Wake down the road.

Yeah, I think my point was there is no such rule. I'm sure bowls like to avoid it, if reasonably possible, but maybe not in some cases, If ND brings a ton of fans to Orlando, for example. I"m sure they'd love to have ND back every year.

IIRC, uppers for that game were about $50, so that's an increase of over $200K in revenue which isn't a small amount.

Sure, but the fan bases are different as well. One fan base might spend more at the game than the other. Spend more in the city. Hotels fill up, etc. Who knows what goes into play. Not sure how much of the allotment NC State sold of theirs vs Wake. And this was also ~10 years ago. Were NC State fans happy to be bowling then? They seem like they are very dissapointed at the possibility of Belk Bowl this year, where Wake would be very enthusiastic.

Sure, but the fan bases are different as well. One fan base might spend more at the game than the other. Spend more in the city. Hotels fill up, etc. Who knows what goes into play. Not sure how much of the allotment NC State sold of theirs vs Wake. And this was also ~10 years ago. Were NC State fans happy to be bowling then? They seem like they are very dissapointed at the possibility of Belk Bowl this year, where Wake would be very enthusiastic.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but assuming each of those State fans spent an average of $3 at the game, that's more than $10k additional revenue. I know that Wake fans would show out and spend money in Charlotte, but it's a major uphill battle for these bowls for the Deacs.

Va Tech and ARkansas had 46,000 at the game last year (compared to Wake/UCONN 53,000 in 2007). Pretty surprised by that.

Mississippi St/NC State 46,000 in 2015 as well.

Wake/UCONN was 6th in attendance out of 15 years of Cont. Tire, Meineke, Belk bowl. And has beaten some UNC and NC State years.

The two best years, ~70,000, involved West Virginia.

I think Wake holds its own when the bowl is close.

Last edited:
The Wake game was on a Saturday which helped.

Also pre-recession when bowl attendance was higher

Wake/UCONN was 6th in attendance out of 15 years of Cont. Tire, Meineke, Belk bowl. And has beaten some UNC and NC State years.

The two best years, ~70,000, involved West Virginia.

I think Wake holds its own when the bowl is close.

I agree. We had a good crowd at the Military Bowl last year I thought too.

The NCSU/MSU Belk Bowl was in an absurd rainstorm. Like I think it rained 3 inches in Charlotte that day. Not a good indication, although I think we'd bring about as many fans this year. I feel like the majority of Wake friends I've talked to have said they'd come in from out of town for the game.

We do bring good crowds though. Most were saying numbers was out of his skull for predicting 7-8K to travel to the Mil Bowl last year, but we brought at least that

What would it take for us to make one of the FL bowls one of these years? Are we talking getting to 9-3 at a minimum?

We had quite a few fans in Seattle. Not as many Wake fans as UW fans anti Oregon. That was fun.

What would it take for us to make one of the FL bowls one of these years? Are we talking getting to 9-3 at a minimum?

Go to CFP playoff when semis are at orange

Finish #2 in ACC rankings and go to Orange

I'm not sure what what ACC schools we'd have edge over for a FLorida bowl. Maybe Duke, BC, Cuse? So guessing those would all have to be tier 1 teams, and compete against them, and 2 wins clear of the rest of the ACC not in NY6 or playoff.

ETA It would be difficult. I see a lot of Nashville/Taxslayer, Belk, El Paso as tier 1 options if we don't win the ACC.

Last edited:
We do bring good crowds though. Most were saying numbers was out of his skull for predicting 7-8K to travel to the Mil Bowl last year, but we brought at least that

I don't remember predicting this but I'll gladly accept credit. Thanks WSC!

Any recent examples of an ACC school making visits to the same bowl in back to back years (outside of required slotting for winning conference, CFP/Big 6 bowls, etc.) Any recent examples of any P5 schools making visits to the same bowl in back to back years?

Sure, it could backfire for Wake at some point but I think the likelihood of it helping Wake far exceeds the likelihood of hurting Wake. Schools who make bowls at a more consistent clip than Wake may be "removed" from consideration from bowls the year Wake has a shot at them.

I don't remember predicting this but I'll gladly accept credit. Thanks WSC!

Any recent examples of an ACC school making visits to the same bowl in back to back years (outside of required slotting for winning conference, CFP/Big 6 bowls, etc.) Any recent examples of any P5 schools making visits to the same bowl in back to back years?

Sure, it could backfire for Wake at some point but I think the likelihood of it helping Wake far exceeds the likelihood of hurting Wake. Schools who make bowls at a more consistent clip than Wake may be "removed" from consideration from bowls the year Wake has a shot at them.

2008/2009 UNC in Meineke

2004/2005 Miami in Peach

2010/2012 Syracuse Pinstripe (didn't make a bowl in 2011)

2010/2011 Georgia Tech Sun Bowl

That's it.

SEC
2009/2010 Ole Miss Cotton (not sure if required slotting)
2003/2004 Florida Outback bowl
2007/2008 Tennessee Outback
2006/2007 Kentucky Music City

PAC 12
USC 2014/2015 Holiday Bowl
Utah 2014/2015 Las Vegas Bowl

Back