• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

Never liked Delta much. Jet Blue, Alaska and Virgin don't seem to make you pay extra for choosing seats.

I will be on the craziest "red eye" tomorrow. It leaves at 8:30 and theoretically arrives at 4:40 AM. But most west to east cross-country flights arrive 30-45 minutes early. Can't exactly Uber, take a shuttle or asked to be picked up that early. Will likely grab a bite while waiting to be picked up at 6 AM.

What also sucks is I rarely fall asleep before 11:30. That means I'd only get a 60-90 minute nap not real sleep. Even if I get to Long Beach early and have a bunch of drinks, I'd have problems falling asleep that early.

Hope I'm late. :)

I'll be having an odd problem next month. I'm heading to Boston and didn't feel like going to LAX. So, I bought a ticket on a "red eye". The problem is it leaves at 8:45PM. Thus, it will be tough to fall asleep for most of the trip. Add to that, it theoretically arrives at 4:45 AM, but most west-to-east non-stop flights arrive 20-40 minutes early.

The newer noise abatement rules in Long Beach are impacting lots of red eye flights.

Never liked Delta much. Jet Blue, Alaska and Virgin don't seem to make you pay extra for choosing seats.

I will be on the craziest "red eye" tomorrow. It leaves at 8:30 and theoretically arrives at 4:40 AM. But most west to east cross-country flights arrive 30-45 minutes early. Can't exactly Uber, take a shuttle or asked to be picked up that early. Will likely grab a bite while waiting to be picked up at 6 AM.

What also sucks is I rarely fall asleep before 11:30. That means I'd only get a 60-90 minute nap not real sleep. Even if I get to Long Beach early and have a bunch of drinks, I'd have problems falling asleep that early.

yeah, bro, we heard

Thank God, RJ will have a reliable taxi waiting for him at Logan at 5 AM because there's no possible way you can catch Uber at the airport first thing in the morning.

Not that we needed extra confirmation you were way off the rails on that Uber thread, but thanks anyway.

Obviously UBER would be available, but the reason I won't take one (which would have been my last, last, last choice) is that I would arrive at my destination around 5AM. I wouldn't want to wake people up unnecessarily.

the necessity is picking you up from an airport after a red eye flight so you don't have to hang out at the airport feeling like shit

I'd rather stay at the airport than wake people up and ruin their day. I'm not as selfish as some.

Not that we needed extra confirmation you were way off the rails on that Uber thread, but thanks anyway.

Lol. I'd expect a high roller like RJ to have a limo service waiting for him anyway. For a guy who claims to have been on so many adventures with so many famous people around the world, he sure seems to have the travel sense of a small town grandma going to visit her grandkids on the other side of the country once every two years. Bet he gets dropped off at his gate on one of the golf carts for old people.

there are literally dozens of drivers within a few miles of Logan at 5am every day whether rj is there or not

not to mention the fact that the T that stops at the airport starts running at 5:13am

Obviously UBER would be available, but the reason I won't take one (which would have been my last, last, last choice) is that I would arrive at my destination around 5AM. I wouldn't want to wake people up unnecessarily.

There is no scenario where you arrive at your destination at 5AM. According to flightaware, the earliest that flight has arrived in the last couple of weeks is 4:19 and it's actually been delayed a number of times. By the time you taxi, deplane, walk to transpo area and wait for your Uber, it's 5AM at the absolute earliest, but likely later. And unless your friends live by the airport, you've got a decent ride ahead of you. No need to grab breakfast. I just saved you a stupid expensive crappy airport breakfast...you can thank me now.

Last edited:
your friends/family aren't volunteering? 5am isn't that early

To pick me up at 4:40, they would have to get up before 4 AM. That is very early.

They will arrive at a more reasonable hour.

Last edited:
for what it's worth, by not taking an uber, you're not helping anyone. no one is hauling themselves out of bed to take your call....they are already there hoping that someone WILL call so they can earn a living.

To pick me up at 4:40, they would have to get up before 4 AM. That is very early.

Damn dude. The non-selfish thing to do is Uber to their house. That alone saves them about an hour of sleep, instead of making them pick your ass up.

Yeah, Racer just showed you the math here. 4:40 would be highly unlikely. To pick you up at 6, they'll still have to wake up around 5, per your numbers. So you'll be getting in an Uber around the same time they'd have to wake up. Basically, an Uber will give them a bit more sleep and prevent them from having to drive to get you entirely. Seems like a no-brainer.

Damn dude. The non-selfish thing to do is Uber to their house. That alone saves them about an hour of sleep, instead of making them pick your ass up.

I'm being picked up at 7 AM. It was their choice.

I'm so sorry. You guys know more than the people who are actually involved.

Last edited:
Back