• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

What perks justify it? Been mulling this over

There are a lot of rewards benefits that you can load up and use, like for shopping or restaurants. The travel benefits are pretty great, from the lounges (there are partnerships with some other lounges, not just Centurion) to the services (I’ve been stranded a couple places and Amex has been great about finding me alternatives), and the automatic status at various partners like Hilton. And I fly internationally for free (on points) probs once a year. There are a lot more benefits that I know I need to be better about taking advantage of. And Amex has become much more easy to use than it was 10 years ago, so it’s really not much of an issue these days.

There are a lot of rewards benefits that you can load up and use, like for shopping or restaurants. The travel benefits are pretty great, from the lounges (there are partnerships with some other lounges, not just Centurion) to the services (I’ve been stranded a couple places and Amex has been great about finding me alternatives), and the automatic status at various partners like Hilton. And I fly internationally for free (on points) probs once a year. There are a lot more benefits that I know I need to be better about taking advantage of. And Amex has become much more easy to use than it was 10 years ago, so it’s really not much of an issue these days.

Agree. I've basically stopped paying for vacation travel between the Amex Platinum card, hotel points and airline miles accrued through business travel. We basically go wherever we want and just pay for food or something odd like if we want to stay in a boutique hotel. And I get lounge access, including Centurion lounges where those exist. But like wfudkn, I should probably be more educated on what else I could get. I did finally get the free $15 in personal Uber $ set up a few months back and we use that to go out and have drinks without having to worry about driving home.

thanks y'all. I suppose we have a 200 page thread about credit card perks that i should go read.

Adding onto the AMEX Platinum talk - gets Gold status on Hertz and Marriott too. Hertz Gold is nice so you dont have to stand in line. Marriott Gold doesn't do that much anymore, but you do get upgrades and late checkouts. The Club access is Delta, Centurion and the Priority Pass, which I use a lot more than I expected, especially in smaller airports or when I cant fly Delta. The Uber credit is nice too. As someone who doesn't own a car, if you book a car rental with the AMEX it has insurance coverage on it, saves me from needing extra. No spending limit is a good teaser, but never really useful. Points add up quick. You end up getting weird perks throughout the year, bonus points at Macys and stuff - each year, you get like a $250 gift card to random places, last year I got Tiffany, so my wife used it.

Centurion clubs are nice, but not always easy to get to - the one in LGA is amazing, but its outside security, so no one ever goes, you would have to plan to get to the airport like 3 hours early to even use it. The one in Vegas is cheap and always crowded. Looking forward to the one in JFK, depending on where it is.

Adding onto the AMEX Platinum talk - gets Gold status on Hertz and Marriott too. Hertz Gold is nice so you dont have to stand in line. Marriott Gold doesn't do that much anymore, but you do get upgrades and late checkouts. The Club access is Delta, Centurion and the Priority Pass, which I use a lot more than I expected, especially in smaller airports or when I cant fly Delta. The Uber credit is nice too. As someone who doesn't own a car, if you book a car rental with the AMEX it has insurance coverage on it, saves me from needing extra. No spending limit is a good teaser, but never really useful. Points add up quick. You end up getting weird perks throughout the year, bonus points at Macys and stuff - each year, you get like a $250 gift card to random places, last year I got Tiffany, so my wife used it.

Centurion clubs are nice, but not always easy to get to - the one in LGA is amazing, but its outside security, so no one ever goes, you would have to plan to get to the airport like 3 hours early to even use it. The one in Vegas is cheap and always crowded. Looking forward to the one in JFK, depending on where it is.

I think you can just sign up for Hertz Gold, fyi.

Same w/ Avis Preferred.

Had a legit fattie next to me last night. Homie fell asleep and just kept expanding. Legs spread, elbows out. Just a disaster. Thankfully it was a short flight or I would have had to say something. And I’m not a little dude but I try to be hyper aware of the boundaries between seats.

Got moved to an exit row by a sympathetic flight attendant who saw that I was smushed between two monstrously fat women on my last flight. I'm 6'3 and 220. Was going to be a painful flight.

fortunate that there was an empty seat in the exit row. that almost never happens.

There was an empty seat in comfort plus on my first flight this morning. Maybe not as rare as empty exit row seat, but also pretty rare.

I also had an empty seat (middle) in the exit row flying home from Dallas on a very crowded flight. No idea how that happened.

I actually have noticed the opposite: that exit row seats are open much more frequently since they started charging extra for them in the last couple years

I got assigned an exit row at the gate last week. I hadn’t sat in the exit row in years. I had to remind myself to stretch out my legs.

Basic economy was way cheaper than usual at like $350 vs $500 on flights to Telluride this week, so I went with it. Looks like the only seats open together are comfort/exit rows. So we're either going to get completely hooked up, or screwed with two random middle seats. Both have happened in the past. Definitely going to set an alarm and check in at the first possible moment.

i fly pretty often and luckily pretty much always fly C+, first, or exit row. probably been several months since i had a regular joe seat #blessed

although i spend so much damn time in airports/airplanes i'm defs gonna get coronavirus #notblessed

fortunate that there was an empty seat in the exit row. that almost never happens.

There was an empty seat in comfort plus on my first flight this morning. Maybe not as rare as empty exit row seat, but also pretty rare.

I got assigned an exit row at the gate last week. I hadn’t sat in the exit row in years. I had to remind myself to stretch out my legs.

#coronavirus

Back