• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

I'm sure I've posted this before, but for all the shit ATL gets, it is one of the best major airports in the US. It's laid out logically, and you don't have to walk across the entire terminal to get to your gate (unless you land in the same terminal).

Fav airports, anything small, like 1 terminal, that has major airlines and foot options, ie Portland, Manchester, Savannah, Columbia, Montrose
Worst airports, anything that is large but poorly designed, Dulles, LAX, LaGuardia, Chicago. Also any airport that closes restaurants early, Columbus.

exactly

I don't really give a fuck about airport amenities -- I just want to spend as little time in an airport as possible and the small airports with minimal security lines where you can show up 45 minutes before your flight are the best

DCA is great, and probably the best big city airport in terms of ease of use and access (I've never been to Midway so not sure there) I've been to. BWI is fine and we used to fly Southwest a lot so it worked. Was especially easy when we lived on Capitol Hill and a quick walk to Union Station to grab the MARC train. Dulles fucking blows. Whoever thought up that bus system better be dead.

Love AVL as a place you can show up an hour or less before your flight and not have to worry, even if you have to check a bag.

But when you're stuck at an airport for two and a half hours for whatever reason, you probably want some amenities. Also, since you can't take liquids through security and you can't bring your own booze on the plane, being able to get coffee or a drink in a reasonable amount of time is a reasonably important amenity.

But when you're stuck at an airport for two and a half hours for whatever reason, you probably want some amenities. Also, since you can't take liquids through security and you can't bring your own booze on the plane, being able to get coffee or a drink in a reasonable amount of time is a reasonably important amenity.

it's a nice thing about living in Chicago that I rarely have to connect

it's a nice thing about living in Chicago that I rarely have to connect

Same with Charlotte, but you understand the hypothetical. Also, I'm the type who likes to arrive at the airport early because that's just my personality. I can't handle the stress of running to a flight. So I like the option of walking around a couple of stores with a cup of coffee or drinking two beers and watching TV for a few minutes.

Same with Charlotte, but you understand the hypothetical. Also, I'm the type who likes to arrive at the airport early because that's just my personality. I can't handle the stress of running to a flight. So I like the option of walking around a couple of stores with a cup of coffee or drinking two beers and watching TV for a few minutes.

Same here. I'd rather spend an hour sitting around or walking to stores than feel stressed that I won't make my flight.

Yes, short lines for security, cheap parking, ample seating and a couple food options after security, that's really all we are looking for.

DFW is great for the lack of connections, but the amount of Spirit flights ensure that security will be a pain. Also, the distance between terminals is a pain in the ass, especially if you park at one and come back at another. Hence, DFW does not make my fav airport list.

BWI as a whole is fine, but the international terminal is a waste land of nothingness, which sucks when you are stuck there delayed.

I could also do this with European airports, but that would be pretentious. (Zurich Lisbon Edinburgh best, Paris Madrid Frankfurt worst)

F that, i'm strolling up to the gate as they start boarding zone 4 and I walk up to the front of the preferred line to jump the line and piss everyone off.

only when traveling with family do i get there early.

Yes, short lines for security, cheap parking, ample seating and a couple food options after security, that's really all we are looking for.

DFW is great for the lack of connections, but the amount of Spirit flights ensure that security will be a pain. Also, the distance between terminals is a pain in the ass, especially if you park at one and come back at another. Hence, DFW does not make my fav airport list.

BWI as a whole is fine, but the international terminal is a waste land of nothingness, which sucks when you are stuck there delayed.

I could also do this with European airports, but that would be pretentious. (Zurich Lisbon Edinburgh best, Paris Madrid Frankfurt worst)

yeah at my old job when I went to Finland once or twice a year I always opted for Amsterdam to connect to Helsinki. Way easier to connect in vs CDG, Frankfurt, or Heathrow. Plus it meant a short flight from ATL to AVL which was nice when you're tired after a long daytime flight back to the US.

Yeah, I'm Zone 4 and pull that shit on the unwashed masses all the time if I don't rush the gate right when they call us. People get so bent out of shape that they have to wait an additional 7 seconds because of my arrival.

Atrium and new section of A in CLT are so nice. Dated crowded gate areas in several concourses do suck though. Solid food/drink options. Haven't checked out the new Priority Pass lounge yet.

SLC is ridiculously nice and massive in the new atrium and A concourse. The gate areas are like 40 yards wide and have 50+ foot ceilings. But if you're not flying Delta (hub), you get stuck in B, and have to legit walk 1.5 miles to get to the airport exit.

Agree with Timmay on Montrose being an awesome small airport. Jackson Hole too.

unpopular opinion: I don't like drinking on or before a flight -- just feel dehydrated and being tipsy while strapped in to an airplane seat isn't that fun for me

Atrium and new section of A in CLT are so nice. Dated crowded gate areas in several concourses do suck though. Solid food/drink options. Haven't checked out the new Priority Pass lounge yet.

SLC is ridiculously nice and massive in the new atrium and A concourse. The gate areas are like 40 yards wide and have 50+ foot ceilings. But if you're not flying Delta (hub), you get stuck in B, and have to legit walk 1.5 miles to get to the airport exit.

Agree with Timmay on Montrose being an awesome small airport. Jackson Hole too.

jackson hole is fantastic; never been to another airport where they have someone wrangling you to get you OFF the tarmac where people are taking pictures. I like Denver for the spaciousness, although it's stupid how far away from town it is. Chattanooga is a great small airport.

Delta for me, being in Atlanta that’s kind of the default. That’s who I have status with but of the big three US carriers that’s probably tops, I agree United is complete trash. I don’t mind JetBlue and Southwest is alright for what it is. I don’t think you would ever find me on a spirit flight.

Back