• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

Ok. Small plane story time to piggyback my admitted fear of flying noted above.
Shortly after I moved to NH, I'm taking a flight from Lebanon (dartmouth) to Boston and then to Mississippi for a wedding. I usually flew out of Manchester or Burlington vt. But times couldn't work. So I book the flight. No worries.
I get there and check in. Cape Air. Go to the gate and there are like two other people and two teenage looking pilots. Lady asks how much I weigh. Hmm. Ok.
Go outside to walk to the plane. And it's a damn Cessna. I have to balance out with another dude about my size towards the back and opposite side. We have horrible turbulence the entire hour flight. No curtain or door so I see the teenage pilots looking back and forth at each other somewhat frantically and turning dials etc. Made it to Boston but lost ten years of my life. Ghosted my return flight and took the bus up from logan. And learned why the locals called it Cape Scare. Lesson learned.

Shortly after I moved to NH, I'm taking a flight from Lebanon (dartmouth) to Boston and then to Mississippi for a wedding. I usually flew out of Manchester or Burlington vt. But times couldn't work. So I book the flight. No worries.
I get there and check in. Cape Air. Go to the gate and there are like two other people and two teenage looking pilots. Lady asks how much I weigh. Hmm. Ok.
Go outside to walk to the plane. And it's a damn Cessna. I have to balance out with another dude about my size towards the back and opposite side. We have horrible turbulence the entire hour flight. No curtain or door so I see the teenage pilots looking back and forth at each other somewhat frantically and turning dials etc. Made it to Boston but lost ten years of my life. Ghosted my return flight and took the bus up from logan. And learned why the locals called it Cape Scare. Lesson learned.
62151B1F-FC9E-4833-878C-DCAFDBF0DF40.jpeg

Took a similar flight from Boston to Rutland, VT after travel trouble the last time I went to the ACC basketball tourney. Fortunately, we did not have any turbulence, so I could ask the teenage pilots "what does that do? oooh, what about that?" since I was sitting 6 inches from the co-pilot. Really cool flying just over the mountaintops, too.

Was on a flight a few years ago for work. We hit horrible turbulence that lasted a while. It was crazy. Across the aisle from me was a terrified mom with her kid. Kid was on a rollercoaster and loving it. That woman was an g d all star for keeping it together while thinking she was going to die with her child. The terror on her face was real.

the-hangover-thanks-a-lot-bin-laden.gif

Forgive my ignorance, but why couldn't they have diverted to LAX or Honolulu? Or literally any other major hub in the continental US?

I've flown CapeAir a handful of times, both in/out of Lebanon (when I lived in VT) and Augusta, ME (in-laws), and it's always an adventure. Very often there is only one pilot, which is a little disconcerting. And those airports are so weird. A single person is the ticket agent, the TSA security agent, the baggage handler and the person with the orange cones directing the plane on the runway.

Forgive my ignorance, but why couldn't they have diverted to LAX or Honolulu? Or literally any other major hub in the continental US?
I think because there are little or no Air New Zealand employees on the ground there to help the passengers. And certainly difficult to get a giant hotel block at last minute.

Weird experience this evening - was on a Delta flight from Atlanta to Orlando. Flight was delayed about 30 min because the arriving flight got in late. Boarded, pushed back, got about halfway out to the runway and then apparently got told to return to the gate and when we did, the pilot got off the plane. I was right by the door and the pilot was bewildered while he was waiting for the jetway - he had no idea what was going on and neither did the flight attendants in the jump seat. A few minutes later the pilot got back on with another pilot and said it was a positioning thing - the other pilot needed to be in Orlando to fly to Seattle tonight. Pilot was super apologetic and was just like I don’t know who screwed up, but I've never had this happen before and now I need to check the fuel and make sure we don’t need to top off, so we sat at the gate for another 20 minutes (I assume for fuel) and then finally took off.

I’m at gate 80 in MCO. Waiting on a mechanical failure repair and the part is coming from Atlanta, maybe on your flight! Anyway, hi.

Can if you imagine if one of Ph's kids kicked the back of that dudes seat for 10 minutes ?

Last edited:
Dude couldn't handle what thousands of people including a few dozen people on that flight deal with every day.

People complain too much about air travel anyway. I guess I can understand being scared, but air travel is a small inconvenience to go a long way away relatively quickly.

Imagine booking flights to Orlando and thinking there won't be kids on the plane.

Back