• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

Would you guys prefer to pay a small amount more (~$50-100) for a direct flight or save that money and connect assuming you’ll arrive around the same time? I’m booking a trip with friends and couldn’t believe that two guys prefer the latter.

people make really strange trade-offs for small amounts of money when it comes to travel

Would you guys prefer to pay a small amount more (~$50-100) for a direct flight or save that money and connect assuming you’ll arrive around the same time? I’m booking a trip with friends and couldn’t believe that two guys prefer the latter.

Don't you have to leave a couple of hours earlier?

I think my breaking point would be around $200 or $250 for connecting vs direct, although there are a lot of times I'll just click "nonstop only" and not even consider connecting.

a connection can add a whole lot of misery to a trip; just seems like a dumb decision to save a hundred bucks.

direct all day erryday

The extra time sucks, but beyond that I rarely get bothered by connecting. Hundred bucks makes my meals on my trip a lot nicer. I prefer nonstop internationally though.

also, unless it's a fewer than 3 night trip i basically always check my bag so connections add an extra dimension.

Last edited:

Spend the extra $100 for the direct flight; no brainer.

We will drive farther to a different airport to have a direct flight as opposed to connections. Not even necessarily always a time save, but connections suck

also, unless it's a fewer than 3 night trip i basically always check my bag so connections add an extra dimension.

Wait, really? Unless I'm going away for probably 6+ days, or doing something like playing golf (obviously) or skiing, I never check a bag. Ever.

discounting the fact that most of my flights now involve a toddler, i really hate dealing with the carry-on bag. i prefer to go as light as possible and just pay for the thing where your checked bag is offloaded first.

my days of simply enduring air travel are dwindling if not over

Wait, really? Unless I'm going away for probably 6+ days, or doing something like playing golf (obviously) or skiing, I never check a bag. Ever.

Yeah, WTF ITC? Are you some sort of invalid who can't roll a bag through an airport or do you need the room under the seat for your emotional support animal ?

no, i just prefer to relax when i go on vacation. if it's for work or some other non vacation reason, it's usually in that sub 3 night window and I carry.

giphy.gif

If I have to check a bag, I have failed.

The kid thing is a legitimate consideration, though.

In the interest of full disclosure the more expensive flight is Frontier that arrives at 830 while the cheaper flight is Delta that arrives at 930. Still think direct is a no brainer.

If I have to check a bag, I have failed.

The kid thing is a legitimate consideration, though.

This is how I am, I can check my bags free and have them come out first, but I still would never do it. I've gone on 14 day vacations, and carried on.

I don't want to be in a situation where the airlines lose my luggage. If I am going on vacation it is usually always international and I can hardly ever take direct flights. No way I am putting my trust in the airlines not to lose my stuff. It is also nice to just walk off the plane and just leave.

pretty classic wake forest to call $100 not that much money

sweet thing about chicago is that I can't remember the last time I connected on a domestic flight

Back